Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

Travel Professionals help please... Cheapest month to go from UK?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club

Hello all,

got engaged a few days ago and a year or so back in a drunken conversation I told my friend I would have a stag doo (bachelor party) in Vegas.

He's now come to me and called my bluff so looks like we'll be going to Vegas.

The group who will be going, majority are in fairly well paid jobs and it wont be till next year so they have time to save, although some aren't very good at saving as others.......

However the problem I have is a couple of them made the decision to work in the public sector and are teachers, which invetiably means we will have to go out of term time, which is one of my no no normally when leisure travelling....

I been to vegas before so we'll go sunday and come back before the following weekend rush.

However which months are most likely to get the best deal on flights, since I know some of them are going to be budget conscious.

Mid April 2017 (easter period)
Last week of May/beginning

Or are we better off going through next August? desert heat won't be a problem for us. are the flights stupid during the British school summer holidays?

Thank you all in advance!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Congrats on getting engaged!

Not a travel professional, but just a couple random observations/tips. Dead summer could be a good option as it tends to be a slow time for Vegas as visitors generally avoid the heat, so hotels tend to be cheaper during that time. Conventions are always the big x-factor though.

Going in summer also gives the opportunity for pool time, although be aware that the dayclub / pool parties are typically only Fri/Sat/Sun. Hotel pools should be open at most hotels by April, but it can still be pretty cool in April.

I poked around a bit on BA.com (I have no idea about flight prices ex-UK) and looking at July to EOC it actually seems that dead summer flights are more expensive, at about Ł1300-1700 r/t, whereas last week of May I'm seeing around Ł900 r/t. However, I notice that the cheapest fares (on BA at least) require a Saturday night stay, which conflicts with your plan of departing on a Sunday.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't comment on the flight prices but for Vegas itself the critical thing is to check is conventions. You do not want to come here during a major convention!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks Gengar and Loren.

Is there a database of all the conventions on one website or do I need to check each major convention centre?

If it's cheaper to fly Saturday then we'll do that, but I know from staying there that sunday is the cheapest night.

The flights is what I'm looking to be cost effective on. Accommodation you have so many choices so Im sure we can find a deal somewhere.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Cheapest Vegas in my experience is the week before Thanksgiving and the days between Christmas and Dec. 30. (Dec. 31 is at or near the top of the most expensive nights in Vegas.)

Here's a convention calendar: http://www.lasvegastourism.com/conventions_jan.htm
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
Thanks Gengar and Loren.

Is there a database of all the conventions on one website or do I need to check each major convention centre?

If it's cheaper to fly Saturday then we'll do that, but I know from staying there that sunday is the cheapest night.

The flights is what I'm looking to be cost effective on. Accommodation you have so many choices so Im sure we can find a deal somewhere.
I believe this list is complete:

http://www.vegasmeansbusiness.com/pl...tion-calendar/

Beware of the 6-figure conventions, hotel prices will be way up there and taxis very hard to get. Stay away from the relevant convention centers even for the shows up there in the 5 figures. More than once I've had the experience of walking near the convention center faster than the traffic was moving.

At least it's not like in the old days when Comdex would sell out every hotel room in town and anywhere at all nearby. (Even the ski lodge an hour out of town would be full despite no snow.)
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone, doing a bit of research I think that the end of may/june looks the better option. Flying out of UK goes up to silly prices in silly season. Quite convention light as well.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:59 pm
Suspended

If March is an option consider that. Flights from London are around the 500GBP mark. Hotels are generally always cheap in March as well. If you go mid to end March, it will be spring break which means pool parties open...weather wise, it will be nice and warm, not silly hot like July/August.

If you are looking at cheap flights, check out Norwegian Air from Gatwick. They will be more cheaper than BA and Virgin.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
If March is an option consider that. Flights from London are around the 500GBP mark. Hotels are generally always cheap in March as well.
March Madness - basketball - betting - hotels full especially on weekends.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Neither of those convention websites are complete. At least one convention I attend, 20,000+attendees, is missing from both.

If flights to LAS prove to be too expensive, check out flying to Los Angeles and renting a large minivan (or minivans). It often works out cheaper and you could have a fun drive to Vegas (only 4 hrs or so).

Either way, enjoy! I've done a couple of extended Vegas stag doos over the years. Lots of fun :-)

Adey
Old Sep 9, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by mradey
If flights to LAS prove to be too expensive, check out flying to Los Angeles and renting a large minivan (or minivans). It often works out cheaper and you could have a fun drive to Vegas (only 4 hrs or so).
From LAX, I'd budget closer to 5hrs especially if there's any traffic.

Last edited by gengar; Sep 13, 2016 at 12:03 am
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:58 pm

Vegas has conventions 365 days a year, its just a matter of which convention is at what hotel. The iHeart Radio music fest was on this past weekend but I was able to scoop up a room at TI for dirt cheap.

Settle on your flights first and if your not picky in terms of which hotel, keep an eye out for deals and book when you see a good price.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by amw3000
Vegas has conventions 365 days a year, its just a matter of which convention is at what hotel.
... and most critically, how many attendees. There may be conventions year round in Vegas, but they are irrelevant if they only bring in a couple thousand people - hence cheap prices can sometimes be found anywhere on the Strip on dead weeks during the convention offseason.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amw3000
Vegas has conventions 365 days a year, its just a matter of which convention is at what hotel. The iHeart Radio music fest was on this past weekend but I was able to scoop up a room at TI for dirt cheap.

Settle on your flights first and if your not picky in terms of which hotel, keep an eye out for deals and book when you see a good price.
A convention with hundreds or even thousands of attendees make basically no difference.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: Virtuoso
Doing a quick search, June seems cheaper than May for accommodation. If you do go in May, try to avoid our Labor Day weekend. Las Vegas is busy then, I can say from personal experience even.

It might be cheaper to fly into LAX, but I wouldn't do it unless it saves a ton of money. LAX is a zoo, especially if you need to rent a car. My sister lived in the LA area until a year ago and would actually drive to LAS just to avoid LAX. Plus, given you will be tired from the flight, a 4-5 hour drive isn't the best idea. Just my two cents though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.