Wiki Posts
Search

Planet Hollywood, Paris or Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Planet Hollywood, Paris or Monte Carlo

We'll be making a one night midweek trip to Las Vegas next month and I'm looking for opinions on these three hotels.

Because it's such a quick trip, we're not looking to spend a lot on accommodations, and these three look to be the best in our price range. However the last time my girlfriend was in Las Vegas she wasn't yet 21, so I prefer one of the major strip hotels so she can get a full sampling of the "Vegas Experience".

Mostly looking for opinions on the actual hotel rooms and any included pool. For gaming we can go anywhere, so that's not a big deal. I currently have a refundable reservation for Paris, but I'm starting to lean more towards Monte Carlo as it seems like they have a nicer pool(?). I've read that PH is more of a party hotel, which we could tolerate, but is not really our scene.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
OK, of the three:

All three close, P and PH next door to each other, across Strip from Aria and Cosmo - MC other side of the Strip, a bit further south of Aria.

MC just announced a massive multi-year rebuild plan but IIRC construction has not started yet. However, what IS going on next to MC is the continued buildout of the Park Theater, the final major element of the Park complex (T-Mobile Arena is finished and open). So there is potential disruption, especially on weekdays.

No construction at either P or PH. Rooms at P a little more sedate, a little more garish at PH.

Nicer food at P - breakfast buffet has a custom crepe station, for example.

I vote for P - shopping etc at PH Miracle Mile Mall is just steps away.

Added: P and PH on "airport side" of Strip, makes access by taxi or Uber easier (tell driver to take surface roads to Koval Lane).

Is your reservation at the P for a classic or a "Red" room?

Daytime Temps could easily be in the 100°F to 110°F range, so plan pool time in early hours - wear strong sunscreen with high SPF rating.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jun 22, 2016 at 6:05 pm
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
OK, of the three:

All three close, P and PH next door to each other, across Strip from Aria and Cosmo - MC other side of the Strip, a bit further south of Aria.

MC just announced a massive multi-year rebuild plan but IIRC construction has not started yet. However, what IS going on next to MC is the continued buildout of the Park Theater, the final major element of the Park complex (T-Mobile Arena is finished and open). So there is potential disruption, especially on weekdays.

No construction at either P or PH. Rooms at P a little more sedate, a little more garish at PH.

Nicer food at P - breakfast buffet has a custom crepe station, for example.

I vote for P - shopping etc at PH Miracle Mile Mall is just steps away.

Added: P and PH on "airport side" of Strip, makes access by taxi or Uber easier (tell driver to take surface roads to Koval Lane).

Is your reservation at the P for a classic or a "Red" room?

Daytime Temps could easily be in the 100°F to 110° range, so pool time in early hours might be advisable - wear strong sunscreen with high SPF rating.
Thanks ^ Didn't know about the construction. I'll have to take a look at that if we change.

The reservation is for a non-red room.

It was over 120 degrees here the past two days; only 100-110 sounds delightful

We'll be driving to Las Vegas.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Sorry, on the mobile site you cannot see city information, I flipped over to the full html site and saw Phoenix

Drivivg? Even more reason for P or PH - MC and other MGM Resorts places now charge for parking. Caesars Entertainment hotels do not (as of yet).

Sign both of yourselves up for Total Rewards cards for some food discounts - it is free.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 23, 2016 at 11:40 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

I knew about the parking fee, but didn't know MC was a part of MGM. I usually stay at Aria, so that might get annoying (I wonder how many are parking somewhere else and walking to their MGM hotel?)

How are the pools at the three? That's the one thing I haven't done at any strip resort, so I'm walking in blind here.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lost
I knew about the parking fee, but didn't know MC was a part of MGM. I usually stay at Aria, so that might get annoying (I wonder how many are parking somewhere else and walking to their MGM hotel?)
How are the pools at the three? That's the one thing I haven't done at any strip resort, so I'm walking in blind here.
NYNY and MC, being next to T-Mo, are the most affected, but MGM Resorts took the chance to levy the parking charges at all of its Strip properties.

Upper tier members of their players club and those with Nevada drivers license are exempt from parking charges.

At MC $8 per day self, $13 valet.

At Aria, $10 per day self, $18 valet per day.

Unfortunately I am not a "pool person" so cannot help there.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
Monte Carlo: Has the best pool among the three. Gambling wise, most likely also has lower table minimum than Paris or PH.
It's been awhile, but room was very bland when I stayed there awhile back.
It does have a tram that connects to other MGM props nearby, such as Excalibur, etc.
As for buffet, probably the worst among the three hotels. Although it does have a food court as well.

PH: Not sure if it is considered a party hotel more so than some others. They do play loud music on the floor. The rooms here are better, and there is the Miracle Mile shopping there. Since Miracle Mile Shop is there, there are a lot of food options here.
Pool is probably the least attractive compared to the other two hotels. Free parking, although it could be a long walk from parking garage to lobby and hotel rooms.

Paris-Probably more "sedated" compared to the other two. Pool is nicer than PH's, but Monte Carlo may be better.
Buffet is much better than Monte Carlo's by a wide margin. Location is considered center strip whereas MC is considered south strip. Free parking garage shared with Bally's.

Hope some of this helps.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hoangb
Monte Carlo:
It does have a tram that connects to other MGM props nearby, such as Excalibur, etc.
The Monte Carlo tram goes north and stops at Crystals - the mall connected to Aria - and Bellagio. The Excalibur tram goes south with stops at Luxor and Mandalay Bay.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good tips! I think for now I'm just going to keep the Paris reservation. Prices for my dates are headed back up the past day or so (Paris is almost double what my reservation is booked at lol).
Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all the good tips! I think for now I'm just going to keep the Paris reservation. Prices for my dates are headed back up the past day or so (Paris is almost double what my reservation is booked at lol).
Good choice and good work. Any dinner plans for the evening with the GF?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Good choice and good work. Any dinner plans for the evening with the GF?
Hot dogs and beer at the NBA Summer League
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hot dogs and beer at the NBA Summer League
Dang, a GF who likes hoops!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love the pools at MC---they have a wave pool and a lazy river which is fun. Also, I like that the pool isn't a mile from the lobby. But yes...construction going on.
I haven't been to the Paris pool but I think it's ok--nothing extra. But I would stay at Paris for the location as well as you might get a nice room.

Dang, a GF who likes hoops!
I am no one's GF but I am a girl....and I like hoops AND beer!!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 29, 2016 at 12:32 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corky
I love the pools at MC---they have a wave pool and a lazy river which is fun. Also, I like that the pool isn't a mile from the lobby. But yes...construction going on.
I haven't been to the Paris pool but I think it's ok--nothing extra. But I would stay at Paris for the location as well as you might get a nice room.
That's what it looked like to me. The location of Paris is hard to pass up. The pool at Monte Carlo does look nicer, but overall for this stay I'm thinking Paris will be better.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's what it looked like to me. The location of Paris is hard to pass up. The pool at Monte Carlo does look nicer, but overall for this stay I'm thinking Paris will be better.
Also, while the MC pool is more fun--too many kids IMO.
Have fun and I am sure you will wherever. That desert sun will kill you --invest in sunscreen!
From Paris it's easy to hit Cosmo, Aria, Bellagio, Caesars. That's all I need.
Good luck to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.