Wiki Posts
Search

Lyft Las Vegas took detour that's 4x longer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE

Friend took Lyft for the first time and the driver took a scenic highway route that's 4 times longer! Route is Las Vegas Airport to MGM Grand. MGM Grand being right next to the airport, there was absolutely no reason to take the highway.

Friend asked driver to take local road (per my instruction) but driver claimed the highway was faster (which is absolutely not correct)

What recourse are available? Does Lyft have a phone number (can't find on their website).
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Do they not have a complaint form on the website? Uber has one (available after logging in) as well as a customer support e-mail.

I've never used Lyft (anywhere) or Uber in Vegas, but the only time I've had to complain about a potential long haul, Uber not only refunded the entire trip but gave me a trip credit up to $40 as well. I'd definitely expect compensation in this case - please let us know how it goes.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Your friend got "tunneled". The cabs have been pulling that crap for years in Las Vegas. I don't know about Lyft, but Uber is a set price no matter what route the drive takes? Correct?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
Your friend got "tunneled". The cabs have been pulling that crap for years in Las Vegas. I don't know about Lyft, but Uber is a set price no matter what route the drive takes? Correct?
I believe that the uber charge is time/mileage based also.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
I believe that the uber charge is time/mileage based also.
Uber and Lyft are both new in Las Vegas. If the Lyft drivers are going to pull this long hauling garbage than the need to be fined like the cab drives (which rarely happens). 3 strikes and you are out! to long hauling!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:38 pm

Uber and Lyft drivers can take whatever route they please...all the rider needs to do is request a fare review and the fare will be adjusted as needed. The drivers who may be doing this are idiots looking for a quick buck and/or don't care about being dumped by the TNCs.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Uber and Lyft drivers can take whatever route they please...all the rider needs to do is request a fare review and the fare will be adjusted as needed. The drivers who may be doing this are idiots looking for a quick buck and/or don't care about being dumped by the TNCs.
Or perhaps a former taxi driver used to the climate where there is no meaningful enforcement.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by kettle1
I don't know about Lyft, but Uber is a set price no matter what route the drive takes? Correct?
No, the fare is based on mileage and time. But enforcement is easy because of GPS tracking.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
No, the fare is based on mileage and time. But enforcement is easy because of GPS tracking.
Uber and Lyft are new in Las Vegas, thanks for that.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I actually encountered some enforcement of long hauling on my last Vegas trip. Took a taxi from the strip to downtown (Planet Hollywood to Golden Nugget), and an enforcement officer stopped the taxi at our destination and quizzed all passengers and the driver about the route (I had the driver take the freeway to save some time). This isn't even the classic "tunneling" long-haul issue that Vegas visitors face.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
You can go into your ride history on the Lyft app. Tap on the ride in question and you'll see an option to request a review on the basis of a detour like this.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
I actually encountered some enforcement of long hauling on my last Vegas trip. Took a taxi from the strip to downtown (Planet Hollywood to Golden Nugget), and an enforcement officer stopped the taxi at our destination and quizzed all passengers and the driver about the route (I had the driver take the freeway to save some time). This isn't even the classic "tunneling" long-haul issue that Vegas visitors face.
But a lot of the taxis showing up at a hotel would be coming from the airport. Every once in a while they do a little bit of enforcement but not much.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:46 pm

As a Vegas resident, I should mention that you have the right to a free ride if you are long hauled. Just ask the driver to call into the company and he will likely just drive away. They even long haul locals, so that explains the lack of any protest against uber and lyft. Locals are just as annoyed as tourists.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 2:32 am

kaw753 you are correct. Screw the long haul cab drivers in Las Vegas. Turn them in. I am sick of it.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaw753
As a Vegas resident, I should mention that you have the right to a free ride if you are long hauled. Just ask the driver to call into the company and he will likely just drive away. They even long haul locals, so that explains the lack of any protest against uber and lyft. Locals are just as annoyed as tourists.
Free ride by law?? I thought it was simply they would drive off rather than wait for the Taxi Authority that would give them a ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.