Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

LAS D Gates: Security shorter/easier via T1 or T3?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage

I'm coming in on USAirways and while the D gates are offically in Terminal 1 they are between terminal 1 and 3 connected to both by the tram/monorail. I would assume that the security lines are shorter at Terminal 3 since they are only handling the 15 gates of terminal E and United and Hawaiian in Concourse D. Provided your not checking in baggage or need a boarding pass would it be quicker or easier to use T3 and hop the monorail to the D gates?
Old May 22, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
I think T3 would be faster. Security (especially if you have pre-check) is usually not bad, and the tram ride is less than 30 seconds to D gates.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
T3. I've never seen a line anywhere near the ones that can accumulate at T1. Plus, it's just newer and cleaner. (Note to McCarran officials: The 80s called and they want their carpet back from Terminal 1.)
Old May 25, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
T3. I've never seen a line anywhere near the ones that can accumulate at T1. Plus, it's just newer and cleaner. (Note to McCarran officials: The 80s called and they want their carpet back from Terminal 1.)
BOLDED: I saw them replacing some of the carpet a few weeks ago. That carpet brings back memories and so does the music they play over the speakers. My little "bundle of joy" back in 1993 spilled a bottle of grape juice on the carpet in Terminal one and the stain was still there last week. Memories. I am going to miss the old carpet.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by kettle1
BOLDED: I saw them replacing some of the carpet a few weeks ago. That carpet brings back memories and so does the music they play over the speakers. My little "bundle of joy" back in 1993 spilled a bottle of grape juice on the carpet in Terminal one and the stain was still there last week. Memories. I am going to miss the old carpet.
^ Please tell me it's a new style/color.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:35 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I took the late United flight twice in the last few weeks. PreCheck was closed when I went through T-1 security both times at around 9 pm.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Taxi rides cost more to strip hotels from T3.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Well then its a good thing I'm renting a car.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
The additional cost is not very significant compared to the overall price, not to mention the difference is less from strip hotels (as that's what's relevant to the topic of this thread). The huge difference between T1 and T3 comes from the giant roadway loop on the eastern end of T3, which only matters when leaving T3.

I've already posted before on this forum that to strip hotels, T3 should be ~8 ticks extra ($1.60) compared to T1, but from strip hotels T3 should only be ~4 ticks extra ($.80).

Last edited by gengar; May 27, 2015 at 10:48 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by lindaiah
I think T3 would be faster. Security (especially if you have pre-check) is usually not bad, and the tram ride is less than 30 seconds to D gates.
Right! You can go through security at T3. It's right choice. I went through security. I am Pre-Check. I went through Pre-Check a least than 5 minutes and there is no problem at all.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:40 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I've timed it when going to the rental car facility. My sample size is about 3 in each direction, to each terminal (roughly 6-8 roundtrips total)...

T1 is quicker, especially when arriving late at night. Buses are less frequent to T3, and there is that INSANE walk from the tram to the rental car shuttle. Overall, arriving and going to the Rental Car Terminal is always faster going through T1...But can really be quicker, as I've waited 20 mins for an shuttle after 10 or 11PM, seems as if buses are always coming to T1.

Coming back to the airport, I found the opposite true, if you need not stop at a ticket counter. If buses are leaving at the same time, the T3 trip seems quicker, especially since they tend to drop you more in the middle--as closer to the security checkpoint. Secuirty is usually a little faster/shorter as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.