FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Las Vegas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-vegas-463/)
-   -   fast reliable wifi and free self-parking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-vegas/1497509-fast-reliable-wifi-free-self-parking.html)

broastedromo Aug 26, 2013 10:40 am

ac that works & fast reliable wifi & free self-parking

I have three non-negotiable criteria for my next Vegas stay :

1. ac that works - no sweltering nights where i can't sleep because i'm too hot even with no covers

2. fast reliable wifi , in the room and/or lobby , preferably with no extra charge beyond resort fee

3. free self-parking

Looking at tripadvisor , I see a lot of complaints about wifi that doesn't work at all , or sporadically works , or so weak in signal as to be useless. So I absolutely must avoid these types of hotels.

Any ideas anyone ?

Jimgotkp Aug 26, 2013 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by broastedromo (Post 21337975)
I have two non-negotiable criteria for my next Vegas stay :

1. fast reliable wifi , in the room and/or lobby , preferably with no extra charge beyond resort fee

2. free self-parking

Looking at tripadvisor , I see a lot of complaints about wifi that doesn't work at all , or sporadically works , or so weak in signal as to be useless. So I absolutely must avoid these types of hotels.

Any ideas anyone ?

If fast reliable Wi-Fi is a must then I recommend sticking to a smaller hotel off the Strip. If you didn't mention free self-parking, I would've recommended the Mandarin Oriental but they only offer valet parking, for a fee. However, you can avoid this by parking at Aria and then walking to the MO. Another option is Vdara, if you're willing to valet the car there or self-park at Aria then walk.

jsmeeker Aug 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Aria has wicked fast wi-fi in the rooms (included in he resort fee). It was always reliable for me. And as with all strip resorts, self and valet parking is free.

broastedromo Aug 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Interesting. I never would have considered Aria. What is your overall opinion of this hotel ?

I read on Aria website that because it's green certified the room thermostat is set to minimum 72 in summer and maximum 72 in winter.

I thought this was a bit strange, so I called reservations and inquired and the agent checked with the hotel and yes apparently this is true.

For me 72 is too hot for sleeping.

Anyone who has stayed at Aria during summer know about room temperature at night ?

jsmeeker Aug 26, 2013 10:05 pm

I love Aria. Great rooms. Cool technology in them. I've stayed there in the middle of the summer and in late fall and never had an issue with temperature. Though to be honest, I couldn't tell you how low (or high) I cranked the AC. Not sure if I put it down to 72. But that doesn't mean it can't go that low. I've never heard it could not.

broastedromo Aug 27, 2013 12:44 am

How do Mirage and MGM Grand rate on my 3 criteria ? Anyone know ?

bobu Aug 27, 2013 2:07 am

+1 on Aria, never had any wifi issues at all, and parking is relatively close to the rooms(not like MGM). I'd do Aria for sure.

LMB01 Aug 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by broastedromo (Post 21342191)

I have stayed at MGM many times.

Wi-fi is covered in the resort fee, I believe (I get comped rooms). I have not had any issues with the speed or connectivity. Self parking is free in the garage behind the hotel. The AC will go down to 65 and you can get the room very cold.

jsmeeker Aug 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by broastedromo (Post 21342191)

I;ve stayed at both.. Both include WiFI in the resort fee. But I didn't measure it like I did at Aria. I also didn't make any specific attempts to make the rooms really cold.

broastedromo Aug 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Looks like Aria upgraded the speed of their free wifi :

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...as_Nevada.html

jsmeeker Aug 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by broastedromo (Post 21365584)
Looks like Aria upgraded the speed of their free wifi :

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...as_Nevada.html

hmmm

In my experience, it was very, very fast before. It's even faster now? I should see if I can find by speed test I did.

Jimgotkp Aug 31, 2013 12:18 am

I will be there in a few weeks.. will let you know how fast the internet is.

cogitate Aug 31, 2013 7:45 pm

I have stayed at the Monte Carlo many times. It has very reasonable room rates and has WIRED Internet access that is included as part of the resort fee. Wired access means that it has always been 100% reliable for me.

fieldeng Sep 8, 2013 4:19 pm

The Cosmopolitan would fit the bill and you get Marriott points if you book thru Marriotts website.

Wifi is included in the resort fee ($28 with tax) and it's fast.

Self Park is free and quite ample. I usually park on the 4th floor.

As far as the AC goes, I had it pegged at 65F the entire time i stayed there.

Jimgotkp Sep 9, 2013 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by fieldeng (Post 21409969)
The Cosmopolitan would fit the bill and you get Marriott points if you book thru Marriotts website.

Wifi is included in the resort fee ($28 with tax) and it's fast.

Self Park is free and quite ample. I usually park on the 4th floor.

As far as the AC goes, I had it pegged at 65F the entire time i stayed there.

My past experience with Cosmo's WiFi was the complete opposite. I didn't pay the resort fee because my room was comped but I was responsible for the ~$15 internet charge. However, when I tried to log-in after putting my room # and last name the website wasn't working. I even tried to log-in on my phone but the Wi-Fi was just ridiculously slow. Maybe it was because I was on the 50th-something floor..