Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Scenic taxi scam/longhauling - experiences, how to stop" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmsnyc
Thanks. So when I get in, is it best to say no tunnel/no highway?
yes.

Tell them "No Tunnel. Straight down Las Vegas Blvd." For Bellagio, there probably isn't much benefit to taking Koval.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two of us flying in this evening....is it cheaper for us to share a cab to the Monte Carlo or to take the shuttle. I can't remember how much the shuttle is---$6 or $8 or ? if we can split a cab it might be about the same but I dread that long taxi line.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by corky
Two of us flying in this evening....is it cheaper for us to share a cab to the Monte Carlo or to take the shuttle. I can't remember how much the shuttle is---$6 or $8 or ? if we can split a cab it might be about the same but I dread that long taxi line.
Maybe others can chime in here, but I think the taxi line is better now that the new terminal has opened. Some domestics have moved over there, including United, which may have lessened the demand at the main terminal.

For 2 people, especially on a short trip like the Monte Carlo, I wouldn't even consider the shuttle.
Old May 31, 2013, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think we have enough locals on here to have one of those wiki sticky things on P.1 along the lines of:

EXCALIBUR - "no tunnel, north on Paradise, left on Tropicana" (and any non-tunnel alternatives).
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by corky
Take the cab. It's about the same money with much less hassle.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by goalie
No, I just called 411 and asked for it and took it from there
Taxi Authority number is on the back of every cab's front seat in plain view of passengers - or at least it's supposed to be.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This link to Las Vegas Hotel Taxi Fares is pretty useful.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
There sure are a lot of complacent people here.

Get long-hauled, call the cops. How difficult is that? If you don't want to deal with it and just pay, at least make a note of the cab number and call it in so they know.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXative
There sure are a lot of complacent people here.

Get long-hauled, call the cops. How difficult is that? If you don't want to deal with it and just pay, at least make a note of the cab number and call it in so they know.
Cops? I thought you called the taxi authority.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Cops? I thought you called the taxi authority.
... who are the cops.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another decade of bickering and gnashing of teeth over long hauling...and another decade where the monorail stops at MGM, less than 3 miles from the airport..
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Another decade of bickering and gnashing of teeth over long hauling...and another decade where the monorail stops at MGM, less than 3 miles from the airport..
Even if the monorail went to the airport, it would only convenient to those hotels on the east side of the Strip with a stop. If I stayed at MGM Grand , I would take it. Aria? Mirage? No. Mandalay Bay No freaking way.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Even if the monorail went to the airport, it would only convenient to those hotels on the east side of the Strip with a stop. If I stayed at MGM Grand , I would take it. Aria? Mirage? No. Mandalay Bay No freaking way.
So if the solution isn't a 100% solution, it's no good?

The monorail from the airport would connect MGM, Planet Hollywood, Paris, Bally's, Flamingo, Quad, Harrah's, Venetian, LVH and SLS. I'd say that would be a good thing.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, I am heading to the Mandalay Bay, is the best route to tell the cab to go north on Paradise, then left onto Tropicana, left onto Las Vegas Boulevard and the hotel is on the right. Or tell them to turn left from Tropicana onto E. Reno Ave and come out almost opposite the Mandalay Bay.

Or is there a better way ?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
So, I am heading to the Mandalay Bay, is the best route to tell the cab to go north on Paradise, then left onto Tropicana, left onto Las Vegas Boulevard and the hotel is on the right. Or tell them to turn left from Tropicana onto E. Reno Ave and come out almost opposite the Mandalay Bay.

Or is there a better way ?
There is very little difference between these two routes. I would simply say "Mandalay Bay please, by way of Tropicana" and leave it at that. I urge a generous tip because this is a low-fare ride for the taxi driver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.