Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Scenic taxi scam/longhauling - experiences, how to stop" thread

Consolidated "Scenic taxi scam/longhauling - experiences, how to stop" thread

Old Sep 28, 19, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Maybe. Now the cabbies can take whatever route they want and still get the guaranteed rate.

David
I'm sure the cabbies will take the most direct route right now and not "get lost" or be confused about what hotel people are going to.

Hopefully the flat rates don't apply to ride shares.
Old Sep 28, 19, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
I'm sure the cabbies will take the most direct route right now and not "get lost" or be confused about what hotel people are going to.

What ride shares in taxicabs?
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post

The cabbies will certainly take the fastest route now, which would usually not be the tunnel anyway.

It would make sense for the rideshare companies to increase their rates accordingly, including the possibility of also moving to a flat rate system at LAS.
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Uber and Lyft quote a flat rate - not necessarily the zoned flat rates referred to above. If a trip takes significantly longer (in miles or minutes) than they assumed when quoting the rate, the fare can change. This is principally to protect both rider and driver if the rider asks to make a stop, or go out of the way. (Lyft allows a multi-stop trip, Uber does not, so if two people get in a car and don't go directly to the final destination, the rate won't quote accurately. I'm not talking about "pool," I'm talking about two people leaving the same location and going to different locations.)

I would indeed think that if an Uber took the tunnel, it might revert to a higher fare, but it should be fairly simple to dispute this with Uber.

I take Uber from the airport several times a year, going to Orleans, which is on Tropicana about a mile west of the freeway. I almost always use the pool option, so they might take an out-of-the-way route and I wouldn't notice, but usually they come right out to Paradise and left on Tropicana. I think that with pool the rate is guaranteed, because you can't alter the route once the trip starts.
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
Uber and Lyft quote a flat rate - not necessarily the zoned flat rates referred to above.
Well, no - Uber/Lyft simply provide a quote. It's not a "flat rate".
Old Oct 5, 19, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
Uber and Lyft quote a flat rate - not necessarily the zoned flat rates referred to above. If a trip takes significantly longer (in miles or minutes) than they assumed when quoting the rate, the fare can change. This is principally to protect both rider and driver if the rider asks to make a stop, or go out of the way. (Lyft allows a multi-stop trip, Uber does not, so if two people get in a car and don't go directly to the final destination, the rate won't quote accurately. I'm not talking about "pool," I'm talking about two people leaving the same location and going to different locations.)

I would indeed think that if an Uber took the tunnel, it might revert to a higher fare, but it should be fairly simple to dispute this with Uber.

I take Uber from the airport several times a year, going to Orleans, which is on Tropicana about a mile west of the freeway. I almost always use the pool option, so they might take an out-of-the-way route and I wouldn't notice, but usually they come right out to Paradise and left on Tropicana. I think that with pool the rate is guaranteed, because you can't alter the route once the trip starts.
Uber in the UK allows a multi-stop trip, is it really the case that you cannot in the US? That would surprise me.
Old Oct 8, 19, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
Uber in the UK allows a multi-stop trip, is it really the case that you cannot in the US? That would surprise me.
I'm almost certain that you can add a stop, to a current trip you're on, but I'm not sure if you can request that from the outset, or before you actually get in the car. I don't think so. The quote updates after you add in the stop (or similarly, if you change the destination).
Old Oct 8, 19, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
I'm almost certain that you can add a stop, to a current trip you're on, but I'm not sure if you can request that from the outset, or before you actually get in the car. I don't think so. The quote updates after you add in the stop (or similarly, if you change the destination).
I have added it when making the request for a car. I followed this:

Request a ride with multiple stops

Search this Thread