Reload this Page >

Rock and Roll races in Vegas

Old Dec 3, 2011, 1:34 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle

Any flyertalk folks running this weekend? Thought it'd be cool to have an impromptu FT meet-up! I will be doing the half tomorrow night.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
The local news had a story about how poorly the event was organized (e.g., not enough water for runners, Mandalay Bay overcrowding, etc). Did anyone experience this?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:18 pm

I had a couple of friends who ran the half. They had no complaints. Of course, they didn't take it that seriously as many did I'm sure.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
here is a link to one of the stories.

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/16205...any-complaints

I've experienced the gridlock at MB before and it is not fun.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
I ran the half-marathon. The race itself was great. Aside from crowding in the early miles, and a rather boring stretch near downtown, I didn't encounter any serious issues. The first and last 4 miles were amazing!

However, pre-race and and post-race, crowd management needs A LOT of improvement. I was staying at Cosmo, and getting out of Mandalay Bay was a nightmare. We were originally going to take a shuttle bus back to Aria, but there was no signage indicating where to catch the shuttle, and crowds were ridiculous, so we just wanted to get out of there. Ended up taking the express tram to Excalibur, hoofed it to NYNY, and grabbed a cab back to the hotel. This turned out to be a good decision, as my understanding is that the shuttle lines were swamped and it took some people a couple of hours to get back to mid-Strip hotels.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I was there. I ran the half and set a new PR. There has been a ton of criticism of the event from the aid stations running out of water to the half/full merge to the crowding on the course. I was frustrated because I was trying to keep up with a pace group but kept falling behind because of the crowding. Of the 4 RNR events I did this year, LV was my least favorite. (Aside from the PR ^) Competitor Group CEO has issued an apology.

Link to FB comments:

http://www.facebook.com/RnRLasVegas
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:43 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
I completed the half. However I didn't have the best of experiences. Got injured by all the crowd-jostling and then sick. Contemplated catching a cab from downtown but forced myself to finish in what had to be the worst time at the event.

2009 was much better IMO. Had to skip 2010 for work but heard great things about that race as well.

Debating doing another RnRLV... will depend on what changes they make.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
I did 2009 and was disappointed. At our not THAT slow pace (10:30 miles), we were parched for water most of the way through the race - just not enough aid stations. Sounds like they haven't learned any lessons. Too bad, since this could be an amazing race.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.