Search

Vegas questions that I should have the answers to but have seemed to forgotten

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Vegas questions that I should have the answers to but have seemed to forgotten

Going to Vegas for a weekend and these thought just hit me:

1) Make sure I tell taxi diver "not to tunnel", right? Staying at Mandalay Bay.

2) Got a convention at Sunset Station all day Sat -- should I rent a car for ONE day only -- or just pay cab fare twice?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:13 pm

I haven't been to Vegas since I was a kid, but from reading this and other message boards on Vegas, it seems that some think the tunnel is ok to get to the Mandalay Bay and Luxor.

I'd leave the proper Vegas veterans to give you a definitive answer though.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:28 pm
G*G

Tunnel is probably the fastest way to Mandalay Bay so wouldn't make fuss over that. If you can get a rental for less than two cab fares to-from Sunset, it's always convenient if you've other things to do as well - e.g. if you're visiting hotels on the other side of the strip/downtown or if you need to tank up on shopping etc. I don't think I'd bother - you can get a good bunch of cab fares for the cost of a rental.

Have fun!
Old Sep 6, 2010, 3:59 am
OFV

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Agree, probably faster to use the tunnel as opposed to the "local" route through Paradise.

As for Sunset, I think they may have free shuttles between the Strip and the hotel so maybe this might be an alternative to either a rental car vs cabs.
If you do get a rental, maybe check out Valley of Fire or Mt. Charleston.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:29 am

It's a relatively short drive either way, but I think you'd be nuts to take the tunnel to Mandalay Bay. Won't appreciatably save you time (if any) and you'll definitely pay a few bucks more.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:08 am

As regards the latter question, I'd just get a cab. They certainly aren't in short supply and renting a car in Vegas is a pain unless you're going to be there an extended period of time IMO.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:52 am
Original Poster

thanks for the replies...I figured the rental would be a major pain in the arse.

So, do I tunnel or not?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by anaggie
thanks for the replies...I figured the rental would be a major pain in the arse.

So, do I tunnel or not?
Do you want everyone who replied to give their same answers again? LOL
Old Sep 6, 2010, 5:41 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
The tunnel/freeway will cost you several dollars more. Depends on if you like being ripped off by cabbies.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:52 pm
MXS

Programs: UA 1K, AA, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, Hertz 5-Star
Take Paradise.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 1:01 am
Original Member

I rent a car unless the cost is more than $30/day or so. It's usually around there or less. But you have to know how to get places without taking the Strip.

Tunnel is the fastest way to go to Mandalay Bay but it's twice as far as taking surface streets. The difference in cab fare is maybe $5. I wouldn't stress about it.

QL
Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QuietLion
I rent a car unless the cost is more than $30/day or so. It's usually around there or less. But you have to know how to get places without taking the Strip.

Tunnel is the fastest way to go to Mandalay Bay but it's twice as far as taking surface streets. The difference in cab fare is maybe $5. I wouldn't stress about it.

QL
thank you for the answers....For $5, I would rather get there faster instead of sitting in the cab to save $5-10.

Renting a car would be cheaper, but I have to factor in the cost of taxes, parking and maybe a GPS system. I get lost very easily. Plus, the headache of picking it up, dropping it of...ehhh, I would much rather take a cab.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? I'm surprised so many people recommend the tunnel. That makes no sense to me - unless there's another magical tunnel I don't know about??

I live in Vegas and really would just leave the airport in a cab, take Paradise, and make a left on Tropicana and a left on Koval - it puts you right at Mandalay Bay. Look at Google maps if you need to.

The cab fare to/from Sunset roundtrip is probably about 40 bucks (20 each way), so a car may be an option - there may even be a rental facility at MB or Luxor, I'm not sure, but some of the hotels do have rental car desks - so I'd check that out.

Depending on how long you're there for, there are other options for staying off-strip that are often cheaper & more convenient - but if you're looking for the Vegas experience, Strip it is...
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:35 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
What bugs me about the tunnel is that cabbies take it without asking, knowing full well it adds several dollars to the cost of the trip. I see this is a rip-off of unsuspecting tourists. It's the principle.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:39 am
Original Member

Parking is generally free in Vegas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.