Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

Husband's 30th Birthday...where to stay?????

Husband's 30th Birthday...where to stay?????

Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not mix it up and stay at all three? Or stay where you can wash your clothes first, then move on to the other location and fly home with dirty clothes.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The real challenge to walking is the bridge over I-15 - the bridge is NOT pedestrian-friendly, to put it mildly.
The real challenge is that it will be around 110 degrees.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lands
what in the hell do you need a full size fridge and a freezer for in Vegas?

And yes there's cheap food everywhere? Hard to name a big hotel that doesn't either have cheap food in their hotel or next door. I was just at MGM and they had a bunch (I won't list all the rest, but if you know Vegas then you know).
re fridge/freezer - i gave 3 examples in post 10.

one need not argue that kitchen/laundry are useless to suggest other properties. (like MO)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 30, 2010 at 8:55 pm
Old Jul 1, 2010, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by IK in Seattle
The real challenge is that it will be around 110 degrees.
But the OP stated that she and her husband are going in October - the 100+ temps should have subsided by then

Also, there are other reasons for wanting a kitchen - for example, one member of the party might be a Type 1 diabetic (which hits younger people more than does Type 2) - the kitchen might come in handy to keep insulin refrigerated and to prepare "maintenance" sacks between full meals. Approached with care, Type 1 does not prohibit people from partying, drinking and eating in a place like Vegas (thank goodness)!!
Old Jul 1, 2010, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
re fridge/freezer - i gave 3 examples in post 10.
Yeah: even if you dont cook, fridge and microwave are good for leftovers, drinks, desserts, etc.

And as I said, a mini fridge works for all of those (if you're willing to eat a cold meal or two)

one need not argue that kitchen/laundry are useless to suggest other properties. (like MO)
Just giving another perspective...
Old Jul 1, 2010, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

- protein/produce spoil
- full size bottles of white wine and champagne, batches of beer in bottles or cans
- full size pies/cakes/etc
- ice cream etc in freezer
- for those that drink water cold - large batches of water

were not even getting into "theoretical" here, just fairly ordinary possibilities.
value judgments are one thing, but arguing there is NO use gets nowhere.
and again, why negate kitchen rather than talking about amazing features at other properties?

id imagine the MO's minibar is about as good as it gets re standard offerings.
http://www.vegastripping.com/feature..._id=190&page=7
any properties similar/better? (edit - especially re size)
Originally Posted by kingalien
from booze standpoint, it doesn't get any better than MO IME.
although if macallan 10 comes in that size.. (rather than glen livet 12)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 1, 2010 at 8:09 pm
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
id imagine the MO's minibar is about as good as it gets re standard offerings.
http://www.vegastripping.com/feature..._id=190&page=7
any properties similar/better?
from booze standpoint, it doesn't get any better than MO IME.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:36 pm

- protein/produce spoil
- full size bottles of white wine and champagne, batches of beer in bottles or cans
- full size pies/cakes/etc
- ice cream etc in freezer
- for those that drink water cold - large batches of water

were not even getting into "theoretical" here, just fairly ordinary possibilities.
OK, you're trying to make me laugh now, right?

And of course you could fit everything you mentioned but the pies and cake in a mini-fridge. I've gotten one many times in LV. And I won't even mention the ice bucket.

Sorry, I just get a kick out of the all out pitch for the fridge. My original comment was "Maybe it's just me, but if you don't have a kid and are 30 yrs old, what in the hell do you need a full size fridge and a freezer for in Vegas?"

Granted, if you've got a full size cake or pie or have a bunch of precooked meals then you need it.

value judgments are one thing, but arguing there is NO use gets nowhere.
and again, why negate kitchen rather than talking about amazing features at other properties?
Never said that there was no value, just questioning whether they need it as much as they think. And if the trade off of staying off the strip to get it is worth it vs a strip view at the Wynn...

I'm now going to find a hammer and hit myself with it as I realize I've spent this much time discussing the merits of a fridge.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how does the largest mini fridge youve received compare to the MO minibar? (pictured at link)

And of course you could fit everything you mentioned but the pies and cake in a mini-fridge.

Sorry, I just get a kick out of the all out pitch for the fridge.

Granted, if you've got a full size cake or pie or have a bunch of precooked meals then you need it.

Never said that there was no value, just questioning whether they need it as much as they think. And if the trade off of staying off the strip to get it is worth it vs a strip view at the Wynn..

I'm now going to find a hammer and hit myself with it as I realize I've spent this much time discussing the merits of a fridge.
vdara is closest to strip, and not farther than some "strip" properties.
also, i mentioned other strengths of palms place - small, pool might be 2nd best after MO.
(but with access to palms if desired.)

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
you will have NO NEED for a full kitchen
Originally Posted by kingalien
I was thinking the same thing but gave the OP benefit of the doubt .
^

+3 on the "think if you really need a kitchen in vegas"

You can get a fridge brought to any room you want.
Maybe it's just me, but if you don't have a kid and are 30 yrs old, what in the hell do you need a full size fridge and a freezer for in Vegas?

You could throw 80% of what you'd put into a big fridge in a mini. Stove? Eat it cold.
And as I said, a mini fridge works for all of those (if you're willing to eat a cold meal or two)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 2, 2010 at 6:23 am
Old Jul 2, 2010, 2:12 pm

I'll address this from the angle of a guy who's about to turn 30 and his wife arranged him a trip to Vegas. The reason for this is because I'm about to turn 30 and my wife just surprised me with a trip to Vegas last month.

When she told me she's "made arrangements" for us to head out there, I was partly thrilled and partly thinking... "God I hope she picked a great spot on the strip". When she handed me the Encore envelope confirming our stay you couldn't have slapped the grin off my face

Keep in mind this wasn't our first trip, but as a couple around your age that doesn't have kids (and therefore, expendable income), I can only say that if money is an issue, I'd shorten the trip and do it big rather than skimp on things throughout the week. Everything in Vegas is designed to extract money from your pocket, but you will never experience better service or have more interesting experiences than what is there for the taking in Vegas.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by A_Corman
How long does it talk to walk from Palms to strip?
The Rio is across the street from the Palms and has a free shuttle to the strip.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: America Worst
I think the 2 property method would be best.

Stay the 1st half at something nice like the Wynn or the Palms.
Then the second half do it "Whole Hog". Get that midweek price and stay in the Skylofts. Screw the fridge. You got a butler for gods sake.

You only turn 30 once. And no kids ? Thats not going to last either.
Do it right now while you still can.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by bltserv
I think the 2 property method would be best.

Stay the 1st half at something nice like the Wynn or the Palms.
Then the second half do it "Whole Hog". Get that midweek price and stay in the Skylofts. Screw the fridge. You got a butler for gods sake.

You only turn 30 once. And no kids ? Thats not going to last either.
Do it right now while you still can.
Trust me, it can...

And just remember that if you switch hotels you're going to have to pack up all you crap, and move along. Not my idea of fun.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:15 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Chozn1
And just remember that if you switch hotels you're going to have to pack up all you crap, and move along. Not my idea of fun.
This is a great point, and why I HATE to change properties during a trip (albeit, my trips are often only 3-5 days).

additionally, Vegas 'nights' tend to end from 5AM to 8AM; and a 12noon/1PM check-out is often quite inconvenient. (as well as the fact that you might not be able to check into the new property immediately)

Invariably, your check-out (moving day), will be after a night you arrive back to your suite at 8AM.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Chozn1
Trust me, it can...

+1. Changing hotels is a huge time waste. (Heck, I don't even hotel hop to capitalize on great promos like SPG's recent free weekends - just too much of a hassle.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.