Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Watch those Vegas Resort Fees!" Thread

The Consolidated "Watch those Vegas Resort Fees!" Thread

Old Feb 13, 19, 5:29 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
When the Crowne Plaza at MacPherson Square in Washington DC went independent they introduced a resort fee which includes something like a newspaper, use of a Chromecast, a shoeshine and I think they said something about having a loaner bike.

Now I just stay at the Hyatt two blocks away as much on principle as anything else.

Although my favorite hotel in Honolulu is just about the last one without a resort fee which makes it easy to find them on Hotwire and Priceline.
Old Feb 17, 19, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
At least the airlines allow you to sit your butt down in a seat and go from A to B without any mandatory fees. Well, then again we have "fuel surcharges" in some cases. But at least it's generally in the advertised price.
It has only been that way since early in the Obama administration. Before that the airfares could be advertised without the taxes and fees.

Some airlines - especially ones like Spirit - have been pushing to do things like before. Spirit would love nothing better than to advertise a fare as $9 (or some other low amount) and load up not only the taxes but the MANDATORY AIRLINE-IMPOSED FEES they've invented so that the $9 becomes at least $50 or $60.

In other words, they want to be able to bait and switch. They have such a jaundiced view of their customer base that they simply don't believe they can sell as much by playing it straight.

In Spirit's case they ALREADY have some pretty bogus fees in place, like the "passenger usage fee" (for booking online rather than at the ticket counter) and the "regulatory compliance fee" (which should be just a cost-of-doing-business like it is with everyone else). It's only because of that DOT regulation that they have to give the price including the mandatory fees now, and airlines keep trying to attack that.
Old Jun 24, 19, 12:19 pm

The Golden Nugget is running no resort fees promotion (not sure if it's spam to link but if you google "no resort fees golden nugget" they may have rooms available. Previously I'd stayed elsewhere because they are nice but not extra 45 dollars a day nice.
Old Aug 2, 19, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Originally Posted by Castoreum View Post
The Golden Nugget is running no resort fees promotion (not sure if it's spam to link but if you google "no resort fees golden nugget" they may have rooms available. Previously I'd stayed elsewhere because they are nice but not extra 45 dollars a day nice.
I'm just amazed the some of the ones that looked pretty outrageous to start with just keep going up.

Most websites do a much better job than they used to in forewarning customers (Orbitz and Cheaptickets even have a "Total due today" and "Due at hotel" lines in their calculation that totals up the sum). OTOH, the websites are as complicit as anyone in using the rates WITHOUT fees as bait, so you'll see something like "$17 rooms at Circus Circus!" but the resort fee will be more than the room charge. It makes the online shopping experience into a labor-intensive cruel joke, but that's a part of the intention on the part of hotels. They want whatever bait benefit they can get from having the room charges in the large type, and they really hate the idea of people just being able to hit a key and get "true" all-in prices lined up to compare.

I've noticed that Longhorn disappointingly has gone up on theirs but Mardi Gras is still holding the line. Those are my two favorites that have the durned things but are sub-$10 on top of rates in the low or mid-$30s if on weekdays.
Old Aug 9, 19, 9:12 am

Programs: AA PPro. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
The District of Columbia has sued Marriott over resort fees, claiming that the fees are illegal and deceptive. I believe this is not an isolated "one-off" action but that a substantial number, maybe all, of the state attorneys general have been involved.

Of course, none of this will actually change what we pay for hotel rooms. But it will still be more comforting to see a $75 rate and actually pay that, rather than seeing a $35 rate and discovering that it's really $75.

I remember maybe 15 years ago, staying at Riviera and being assessed a $3 daily "energy fee." This was long AFTER the time of spiking electricity rates in the Nevada/Southern California era. But hotels have clearly lost all sense of modesty in their "resort fees."

I'm sure we all wonder how this could not be considered an "unfair and deceptive" business practice, but it started under the Obama administration, who would of course have been far more likely to try to reign it in than the Trump administration.
Old Aug 9, 19, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
The District of Columbia has sued Marriott over resort fees, claiming that the fees are illegal and deceptive. I believe this is not an isolated "one-off" action but that a substantial number, maybe all, of the state attorneys general have been involved.

Of course, none of this will actually change what we pay for hotel rooms. But it will still be more comforting to see a $75 rate and actually pay that, rather than seeing a $35 rate and discovering that it's really $75.

I remember maybe 15 years ago, staying at Riviera and being assessed a $3 daily "energy fee." This was long AFTER the time of spiking electricity rates in the Nevada/Southern California era. But hotels have clearly lost all sense of modesty in their "resort fees."

I'm sure we all wonder how this could not be considered an "unfair and deceptive" business practice, but it started under the Obama administration, who would of course have been far more likely to try to reign it in than the Trump administration.
Resort fees started waaaaaay before the Obama administration. At least back to the Clinton administration.

P.S. If you find a $75 rate for any halfway decent hotel in DC, you should jump on it NOW.