Wiki Posts
Search

stupid question(s)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
stupid question(s)

So, I just had a flashback to some LAN flights (in particular GRU-SCL and EZE-SCL) where the captain made this announcement: Tripulación, prepararse para cruce transandino. and then the screens said something of like: Nos estamos preparando para .... Does someone knows why?

This is fuelled by the fact that in all my intraPeruvian routes I have never heard such a thing and you usually have to cross the Andes too (for CUZ, TPP, AQP, IQT, AYP). Is it a mater of the height of the Andes in Chile, a specific risks associated with the route, or just an old tradition that does not die, like the applauses when landing in Argentina?

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
After several incidents due to to unexpected turbulence it has been a company policy to have crew and passengers seated during the crossing of the Andes. I tend to agree with this policy, but 2 or 3 time flying to Madrid the captain has elected to make the northern crossing (approximately 1.500 km north of Santiago) and the crew has been seated for all this time.. meaning service start 2.5 hours after departure.. as it happens so often, no criteria used..
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

so, it is specific to Chile's weather in the Andes region.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: LANPASS
LAN has a strict policy regarding the Andes crossing, due to the high probability of encountering unexpected turbulence even in clear air.

For that, as a procedure all Andes crossings regardless of altitude require a strict adherence to a all-buckled-up policy, all crew elements secure, etc. The PA announcement is a heads up given 10 to 15 minutes prior to the beggining of the mountain crossing.

The policy is so strict that SCL-MDZ or MDZ-SCL have no in-flight service (not even a glass of water) as the mountain crossing leaves just 10 minutes of unbuckled time between takeoff and landing.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:50 pm

For intra-peruvian routes you don't actually cross the Andes... it's the actual crossing all the way to the other side that's enforced by the policy

that said, there's other PA announcements you never want to hear on board of LAN (and if you do, there's a high chance that you'll overlook them)... but that's a story for a different post
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

For intra-peruvian routes you don't actually cross the Andes.
Actually you do (see this link, or Google Earth and draw a line between Lima and Tarapoto, Pucallpa, Iquitos or Cusco), at some point you need to cross them. But maybe, there is a climatic or height particularity to Chile.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: LATAM Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
There are a lot of routes that cross or land in an airport in the Andes but no announcement is made, i guest thats because peaks in the Chile-Argentina zone of the Andes are higher than the rest of LATAM, thereby much more chance of turbulence.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:51 am

Well it is actually a more unstable zone, weather-wise.
A lot of climatological factors come into play to make central chile/central argentina zone a bit of a pain to fly across.

I once flew across on a small cessna. Nice day, clear air, but the bumpiest ride I've ever had on a GA aircraft. I still applaud those brave souls that have gone back and forth on sailplanes, talk about guts!
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by MfromL
just an old tradition that does not die, like the applauses when landing in Argentina?
I'm reluctant to mention this, having been berated recently for my light-hearted comments on the merits and demerits of various Pisco Sours, but I was very disappointed to hear Argentinians (I guess?) doing this after landing at EZE.

I thought this particular idiocy was confined to Colombians, and even there it appears to be dying out.

But then I heard Bachata in Bs As as well.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

don't worry. just don't say the P word.LOL
Old May 1, 2016, 8:40 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by MfromL
don't worry. just don't say the P word.LOL
Apprently! Sunni v Shia is a safer topic 'round these parts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.