Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BKK-ICN; Go for KE 654 or KE 652?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2008, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
BKK-ICN; Go for KE 654 or KE 652?

I already have two tickets booked on the 10:05 ICN-ATL KE flight (C class). I am now adding an award ticket BKK-ICN.
I can choose from one of these two flights:
* KE 654 in Y (C was not available), and have an pretty optimal 1h:25m layover in ICN (leaving BKK at 1:35AM, arriving in ICN at 8:40AM), or choose
* KE652. This flight is available in C, however we'd have to leave BKK about 3 hours earlier (not a deal killer), and have a longer layover (4h:15m) in ICN.

I'm wondering whether the service on the earlier flight (KE652) is as spartan as the later flight (KE654)?

I am leaning towards the earlier flight so that we can have C seats on a 5-hour flight. Regardless if the seats are outdated or not, they're surely better than Y...

Thanks for your input,
Old Sep 12, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I have always taken the later flight, and I invariably spend a couple of hours in the lounge just waiting for the flight to depart. I'd just as soon spend the time at the lounge at Incheon, especially if it means just paying 5,000 extra miles to get C instead of Y.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I would go C and take the longer lay over. The BC lounge in ICN is great with full breakfast items served by Hyatt hotel. Plus you have plenty of time for the showers.

I have been on the late flight - no service (maybe a beverage) at start of flight - but they serve breakfast before arrival. Not sure about the 3 hour earlier flight in terms of food service.

Neverthless - the BC lounge in BKK does have sandwiches and other food - so you really do not need food on the flight.

I find the outdated C seats to be more comfortable than KE's new long haul C seat.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Thanks, Cova.
I too took the later flight (1:35AM), and did not receive food until breakfast a few hours before landing. I was not very impressed with the AF lounge in BKK - food was very basic, the lounge seemed cold (maybe because it was so empty), and was otherwise uninspiring...

I think I will go for the earlier BKK-ICN flight, still curious to find out whether they serve food on that one.
Bostonbali
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:00 am

Programs: DL PM, 2 Million Miller
Both flights have the same service. The meal is breakfast served prior to landing in ICN. I'd opt for the "C" seat over "Y".
Old Sep 16, 2008, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks all,
I used 30K DL miles (each) to redeem two C class tickets on KE652. Total was 60K miles and just under $200 ($93 in taxes and another $100 in Delta fees).
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:17 am

I took the earlier flight in C. Like it has been discussed here, KE kept the F cabin completely empty, did not put any C pax in there.
Food service in C for the earlier flight was a hot savourie ( 2 pieces of grilled chicken in some leaf ) with some tangy sweet thai sauce. Upon arrival, full breakfast service.
IMHO, the foods in the C lounge at ICN were so dismal : at breakfast time.
Only pastries and some fruits, and a very unfamiliar hot "porridge" thingy made of black sesame and rice.
And the shower, it does not have the WC. The attendant came and give you the key with 2 medium size towels. So, I just use the extra one for bath mat.
And it is a "Korean" thing, to provide a pair of plastic shower flip flop in the shower stall ? (:
The service was awesome on my ICN DFW flight. Seat : Worse than the old CX J seats, even though, I had a window seat, and the arm rest went down when you press the lie flat buttom, to give you more shoulder room.
No amenity kit, just slippers at the seat, and a basket of eye shades and tooth brushes made the round.
AVOD terrific...headset :
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I am on an ICN-BKK flight next week, and (as stated in some other threads) KE have switched the later flight (ICN-BKK 830pm-1145pm and returning after 0100 on BKK-ICN) to a 744 through May, and then it goes to the new 773ER. Those aircraft should offer full AVOD, nice J class seats, power ports, etc--all of which are missing on the 773.
As for service, it seems that on BKK-ICN there is at least a minor food service on the earlier (2245 flight) while the later, after-midnight departure, only had beverage service after departure, then a full (actually decent) breakfast on arrival, at least as of late last year.
But I'd take the later flight on a 744/773ER before anything on those OLLLLLDDDD 773s they've been using on this route the last few years!
I will post a report later next week.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 4:14 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Excellent service on KE82 JFK-ICN. Attentive, yet unobtrusive. Sat in 10A, with nobody next to me, after I'd been assigned 16B.
I was worried because 10A was right next to the galley, but actually it was really quiet the whole time.
So, if you're on 653/654 in the next few months, Row 7ABHJ and 10AB are good choices--since upstairs is apparently Y but using NEW C! Good for them.
F on today's flight is empty, booked 0/12. So I guess they'll just curtain it off. From what I have seen, J is only Rows 7-12 on the 744.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta; Marriott Silver
Biz award on Korean ->Do I get Biz Lounge Access

We will be flying biz class on Korean using Delta miles later this month. Will we be allowed into the Business Lounge on a FF ticket in Business? Also, what about my 2 year-old. Is there an age requirement?

LS
Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by LastSurvivor
We will be flying biz class on Korean using Delta miles later this month. Will we be allowed into the Business Lounge on a FF ticket in Business? Also, what about my 2 year-old. Is there an age requirement?

LS
Yes, you should be able to gain access to the biz lounge at all connecting airports, including your departure airport. Your baby should be allowed in.

By the way, I am on KE 653 on Wednesday and seat assignment confirms that the 744 that operates this route is the new style (well, now relatively older) business lie-flat seats (based on the rows available for C seating) ^.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 6:36 am

If you're flying Y class the B773 on the earlier flight would be more comfortable than the later flight with the B744. At least in my estimation. You don't have the AVOD on the B773 but the legroom is much better. I would go for comfort over AVOD anyday.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, various others
re:

Question:

I am flying on KE86 in late August with Mrs JF. As of now, we are slated to be in the upstairs cabin. Should we change seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.