Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Domestic standby: what are my chances?

Old Apr 16, 2023, 4:31 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I just looked for a ticket from GMP-CJU roughly 6 weeks out. Much to my shock, none are available for purchase. I was able to waitlist a flight for award seats in prestige class. Other flights show as available for waitlist but wouldn't actually go to completion. What are my chances that a flight will clear (award seats) in prestige on a Friday night?
Old Apr 16, 2023, 7:54 pm

I dont have much experience with domestic award flights but Jeju flights on Friday nights are mostly all sold out at premium rates. Chances would be low IMO.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

New question: how long do I need to allow to get from ICN to GMP? I believe there are two types of trains. Which one do I want to take? How early does it begin in the morning?

Another question: if I book a less preferable flight and the one I want opens up, can I cancel the one I have without penalty? I'm speaking of mileage tickets.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
New question: how long do I need to allow to get from ICN to GMP? I believe there are two types of trains. Which one do I want to take? How early does it begin in the morning?
If you're embarking at ICN T2, the quoted travel time is 44 minutes. Of course, you'll want to allow time to buy your ticket and wait for the next train (up to 20 minutes between trains during non-peak times). I'd probably play it safe and budget 1.5 hours for the ICN-GMP transfer alone (not including passing through immigration, waiting for bags, checking in at GMP, etc.). The train is called "AREX," which is short for "Airport Railroad Express." That said, you want the train that makes all stops, not the express train (which goes direct to Seoul Station). I believe the first train departs at 5:18am or thereabouts.

Another question: if I book a less preferable flight and the one I want opens up, can I cancel the one I have without penalty? I'm speaking of mileage tickets.
I'm not sure how things would play out in practice, but here are the terms that applied to a long-haul award ticket that was issued in June 2022 for travel in April 2023. The terms suggest there may be a 30,000 KRW fee to reissue a ticket after a change, or a 3,000 mile penalty to redeposit miles if you end up just cancelling the ticket and rebooking:

SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:46 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
I just looked for a ticket from GMP-CJU roughly 6 weeks out. Much to my shock, none are available for purchase. I was able to waitlist a flight for award seats in prestige class. Other flights show as available for waitlist but wouldn't actually go to completion. What are my chances that a flight will clear (award seats) in prestige on a Friday night?
If your flight is around 6th of June then id say pretty much 0 chance. Public holiday means half of Korea will be on the island for a short getaway.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Digicola
If your flight is around 6th of June then id say pretty much 0 chance. Public holiday means half of Korea will be on the island for a short getaway.
That right there explains the issue. It's a shame. I've got award nights at the new JW Marriott and no way of getting there to use them. I think I'm going to abandon trying to roll the boulder up the hill.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:10 am

That right there explains the issue. It's a shame. I've got award nights at the new JW Marriott and no way of getting there to use them. I think I'm going to abandon trying to roll the boulder up the hill.
I dont know where youre flying in from but cash tickets are still available for like 150USD if you really want your stay. If you wanna go on the cheap I suppose you can take a bus to Mokpo and then the ferry. I commend your determination if you go down that route.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:16 am
Original Poster

I dont know where youre flying in from but cash tickets are still available for like 150USD if you really want your stay.
We fly into ICN on June 2 at 2:20pm. We need a flight after 5 from GMP. Everything is sold out. We're on a waitlist with Korean Airlines for 2 flights; the others are closed for waitlisting. I also tried abandoning our HKG-ICN flight and seeing if we could find something after 9am from HKG. Nope. then I tried flying on June 3. Again, nothing is available. I have flights in and out of the country and hotels for each night I had no idea there was a national holiday that made internal flights challenging. But there you are and there I am. I looked at the ferry from Jeju to Pusan (where we head next) but found the 12 hour time daunting.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:39 am

We fly into ICN on June 2 at 2:20pm. We need a flight after 5 from GMP. Everything is sold out. We're on a waitlist with Korean Airlines for 2 flights; the others are closed for waitlisting. I also tried abandoning our HKG-ICN flight and seeing if we could find something after 9am from HKG. Nope. then I tried flying on June 3. Again, nothing is available. I have flights in and out of the country and hotels for each night I had no idea there was a national holiday that made internal flights challenging. But there you are and there I am. I looked at the ferry from Jeju to Pusan (where we head next) but found the 12 hour time daunting.
Well you have availability from a variety of cities in mainland china, TPE and KIX from what I see. Big boulder I concur. Quite unfortunate that OZ only has one seat left on their last flight of the day.

Korea has a variety of small airlines that dont seem to appear in booking systems. But Eastar Jet didnt have availability either and Hi Airs schedule stops on the 1st of June so I dont know if I should call that bad luck or a celestial sign.

If timing allows, maybe book and earlier flight to ICN the same day? HK Express should get you here early enough.

Last edited by Digicola; Apr 19, 2023 at 8:44 am
Old Apr 19, 2023, 8:54 am
Original Poster

If timing allows, maybe book and earlier flight to ICN the same day? HK Express should get you here early enough.
I like your creative thinking. However, we have a connecting flight from the US getting into HKG at 7:30am. We're on the tightest connection into ICN. I can find nothing if we drop that flight and rebook to Jeju. I've looked at award flights out of the US. I am currently holding well priced award flights. Anything currently available is more than 2x what I now have.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 9:14 am

I like your creative thinking. However, we have a connecting flight from the US getting into HKG at 7:30am. We're on the tightest connection into ICN. I can find nothing if we drop that flight and rebook to Jeju. I've looked at award flights out of the US. I am currently holding well priced award flights. Anything currently available is more than 2x what I now have.
Welp the only connection that kind of works is if you manage to get to PVG after your arrival into HKG as PVG-CJU the only city pair I see that has flights later enough that day.

Otherwise, Im sorry I did my best. Still cant get over the fact OZ only had 1 seat left.

edit: I take back what I just said there are two seats on two different flights from GMP to CJU on OZ. One in J one in Y both leave 10 mins apart. Be quick!
Old Apr 19, 2023, 10:45 am

Wow. I didn't believe you two but just checked myself. Hoping for the best, [MENTION=3967]SanDiego1K[/MENTION]. For what it's worth, HKG-PVG-CJU does seem to work.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 11:52 am
Original Poster

edit: I take back what I just said there are two seats on two different flights from GMP to CJU on OZ. One in J one in Y both leave 10 mins apart. Be quick!
You got me excited but I was too slow. There's 1 seat after 5pm.

Appreciate you searching along beside me. It's good to know I'm not overlooking something
Old Apr 19, 2023, 12:00 pm

Theres one ticket left on the OZ website in biz. I recommend you book it, refund fee is 3000KRW. At least you will only need to find one more ticket.

Good luck!
Old Apr 19, 2023, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by KE81
Wow. I didn't believe you two but just checked myself. Hoping for the best, [MENTION=3967]SanDiego1K[/MENTION]. For what it's worth, HKG-PVG-CJU does seem to work.
Tell me about it, I was just as taken aback as you are. Having myself booked tickets to Jeju around that period I thought there was plenty of availability.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.