FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Korean Air | SkyPass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korean-air-skypass-621/)
-   -   What is this Standby Award Booking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korean-air-skypass/2083515-what-standby-award-booking.html)

chichow Jun 18, 2022 5:11 am

What is this Standby Award Booking

Hi all,

I was searching more seriously for award space on KE and instead of just normally using the KE phone app actually went online using a computer web browser.

when I didn't get any award space, the KE website offered my standby award availability. What is this and has anyone had success using it?

Thanks!

mikesaidyes Jun 18, 2022 9:59 pm

I actually JUST saw this for my recent flights in my KE app. However, don't hold your breath for it to work. It takes your miles instantly, of course. And, considering they only release 3 biz class seats, and like my flight ICN-ATL and back was 100% full in J, I wouldn't expect any luck. Economy even was slam full for my flight.

it seems BRAND NEW and I even checked some Korean sites and didn't see much about it discussed.

chichow Jun 18, 2022 11:27 pm

they are releasing 3 seats in J for each flight? not two?

mikesaidyes Jun 19, 2022 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by chichow (Post 34348721)
they are releasing 3 seats in J for each flight? not two?

It might be two now, but when I was booking a while ago - it was 3. Either way - key point stands. You gotta be ready at MIDNIGHT Korea time when the dates open up to get biz class.

bizum Nov 26, 2022 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes (Post 34351142)
It might be two now, but when I was booking a while ago - it was 3. Either way - key point stands. You gotta be ready at MIDNIGHT Korea time when the dates open up to get biz class.

I found 3 biz seats from SEA to ICN in December. Was quite surprised :)

barelyelite Dec 2, 2022 3:27 pm

Just thought I’d post about my (surprisingly pleasant) experience with this.

Looked for availability from SFO to BKK last week for a flight in April. Only economy was available, but I noticed the “Standby Award Booking” link. I went through the process, and it created a “Standby Booking”, which I was able to view in the reservation list. No miles were deducted from my account. Note: it looks like the link to the standby award booking only comes up for certain routes.

Didn’t have particularly high hopes for anything opening up anytime soon, but this morning I got an email from Korean with the subject “Notice on Waitlist Confirmation” saying that my reservation changed from standby to confirmed. I logged into my SkyPass account and saw that I had about 8 days to purchase the ticket. I did it immediately and now have a ticketed reservation.

Very happy I found a use for the 75k miles I had refunded from a reservation in April 2020 :)

benji2227 Dec 4, 2022 6:14 am

It seems like the reservation system can also get you « hidden » tickets.

I put myself on the waitlist for a flight to Europe in F on two separate days. One got « confirmed » after 24h, but my schedule changed so I cancelled it. The inventory for « paid F » went immediately from 4 to 5 after my cancellation, but no bonus ticket appeared (meaning they seem to only give some F awards to waiting lists. Hand-picking?).

Usually in J, bonus inventory tends to reappear at the same time if nobody else is on the waiting list.

Anyway, got my F flight confirmed for the other date I booked. This was last week, 7 to 10 days before the flight.