Wiki Posts
Search

Interline with JAL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Interline with JAL

I have an ICN-NRT-LAX flight on two separate PNRs with KE on the first leg, and JAL on the second, and I can't get luggage at NRT, so my only option to bring back non-carryon is to check it through.

Has anyone attempted/had any success in checking luggage in at ICN through with KE to the USA via JAL?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Hyatt Diamond, IHG RA, Fairmont Plat, SPG Plat
I have a similar question but with a twist. Will be flying on a Korean Air flight that is marketed by Japan Air ICN-NRT, and then connecting to Japan Air NRT-SFO. Separate PNRs. Any way to check luggage from ICN all the way through to SFO given than both have Japan Air flight numbers?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Did ICN-NRT on JL marketed/KE metal connecting to NRT-LAX on JL on 17 May on 2 separate PNRs.

No issues whatsoever interlining the luggage
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: AA Exp, Hyatt Diamond, IHG RA, Fairmont Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by sol95
Did ICN-NRT on JL marketed/KE metal connecting to NRT-LAX on JL on 17 May on 2 separate PNRs.

Thanks, that is great to hear. Do I need to check into the JL flight first before KE?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:10 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by holycow4
Thanks, that is great to hear. Do I need to check into the JL flight first before KE?
I checked in at the KE counter, and they checked me in for my JL flight and gave me a boarding pass.
holycow4 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Just a side tip: If you have ANY status with Korean Air, it matters ZERO NILCH NO BENEFITS with JL codeshare haha. Even if it is actually a Korean Air operated flight but the ticket is sold by JL.

Also, if you check in at KE Desk for first flight (which you should) - at NRT, be sure to go to the gate and ask if you need a JL issued boarding pass. A lot of Asian airlines want this, particularly KE. Like, when I fly Delta - KE, KE makes you go to their counter to get a KE boarding pass even if Delta already checked you in and gave you a seat.
holycow4 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 5:03 pm

Bumping this thread!

Holycow, were there any issues with tagging luggage through to SFO?

​​​​​​I'm looking at similar itinerary, only difference is to LAX.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by sol95

Was your ICN-NRT segment a cash flight with a JL flight number on the ticket? Planning on doing the same thing next month, ICN-NRT on KE connecting to NRT-SFO on JL, but my ICN-NRT is a Delta award so no reference to JL at all obviously and dunno if that makes a difference (although the ICN-NRT flight itself is being sold by both KE and JL). Although hopefully Japan actually does fully reopen next month like they've been talking about lately and this would be a moot point.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by berkeleysquirrel
Was your ICN-NRT segment a cash flight with a JL flight number on the ticket? Planning on doing the same thing next month, ICN-NRT on KE connecting to NRT-SFO on JL, but my ICN-NRT is a Delta award so no reference to JL at all obviously and dunno if that makes a difference (although the ICN-NRT flight itself is being sold by both KE and JL). Although hopefully Japan actually does fully reopen next month like they've been talking about lately and this would be a moot point.
berkeleysquirrel did this work out for you?
Old Nov 30, 2022, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by MattEvan
berkeleysquirrel did this work out for you?
Turned out to be a moot point since Japan opened for tourism the week before my flight but I still went ahead and asked KE to link my JL record locator to my first flight and was able to have them check my bag through to SFO at check in at ICN, although the agent needed to ask a manager how to do it. She was able to issue me a boarding pass for the NRT-SFO leg also and I had no issue transiting in NRT (didn't need to pick up bag - I confirmed with JL staff since they wanted to reissue my boarding pass on JL ticket stock).
MattEvan and rwong48 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.