Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Award tickets for April lax-icn. No way around cancellation charge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2021, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Have two award tickets for lax icn and back in April that were booked last April (as soon as calendar opened). I had to cancel last April and rebooked for this year, but currently impossible to take the trip again. Technically I guess they are operating the flight, but I can't actually take the trip with forced quarantine for the entirety of the trip etc. No way around 3k miles penalty per person per ticket? I called to cancel and they told me tough luck.

Basically I have exactly enough miles for this ticket and if they charge my anything, I can't rebook (for a third attempt for next year) because I won't have the miles anymore and KE doesn't sell or allow transfers anymore. Absolutely insane they won't allow me to cancel without penalty considering for all practical purposes, it's impossible to take the flight.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 4:34 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm sorry. That has to be frustrating.

If they charge you the fee to cancel, do you have Marriott points? I just checked and you can still move Marriott points to Korean. 60K Marriott points gives 25K Korean points. You can move lesser amounts as you have no need for 25K but be aware that the ratio is less attractive.

Perhaps you can get a Korean credit card and get the signup bonus? The card is issued by US Bank. Check here for a list of current bonuses:

https://frequentmiler.com/best-credi...up-offers/#USB
Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

I do not have any Marriott and I guess in extremis I can get a credit card but man, wouldn't that be excessive. I suppose that would be my literal last resort. I am astonished they are not going to cancel without charge. I guess no one knows a way or avenue to contact someone to somehow get a minor bend to the policy? (some places often have better luck with twitter teams, calling other call centers, etc and I don't know KE well enough to know if there is such an avenue)
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's only mid-February. Whatever you do, don't cancel until just before the scheduled flight.

If your flight is cancelled or significantly changed, you will be due a full refund.

If you wait to cancel, you are no worse off for waiting.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:59 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by Often1
It's only mid-February. Whatever you do, don't cancel until just before the scheduled flight.

If your flight is cancelled or significantly changed, you will be due a full refund.

If you wait to cancel, you are no worse off for waiting.
This is the answer. They only update the schedule for cancelled/altered flight schedules about a month out now. Many flights only operate on certain days. So if there's a change - you get a "free refund" of all the miles and the taxes paid, too. This is what happened to my Europe award flight for last year in October - it was adjusted in September so that's when I cancelled it.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Sounds good. That's what I am currently doing so I guess it's my best hope. Here's hoping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.