Fistfight on Seoul-Seattle flight

Old Sep 26, 20, 11:04 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,191
Fistfight on Seoul-Seattle flight

Major altercation Thursday on the Seoul-Seattle flight:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ching-seattle/
Steve in Olympia is offline  
Old Sep 26, 20, 11:29 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 90,442
I'm not sure I like the idea of KE FAs using Tasers during a flight. People have died after being tasered and the middle of the Pacific is far from a good hospital or other qualified emergency medical care with appropriate availability of instruments and medication.

The guy seems to be a Korean national living in the USA, so I wonder what impact this incident will have on his visa status. He's also unusually large (and strong, apparently), so I wonder whether he's an athlete. No age is given so he could play for a university or a pro team.

It sounds like the problem could be a mental health issue.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 28, 20, 10:14 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Posts: 1,915
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'm not sure I like the idea of KE FAs using Tasers during a flight. People have died after being tasered and the middle of the Pacific is far from a good hospital or other qualified emergency medical care with appropriate availability of instruments and medication.

The guy seems to be a Korean national living in the USA, so I wonder what impact this incident will have on his visa status. He's also unusually large (and strong, apparently), so I wonder whether he's an athlete. No age is given so he could play for a university or a pro team.

It sounds like the problem could be a mental health issue.
To be fair, those poor KE FAs are NOT strong by any means and need something to help them out haha
mikesaidyes is offline  
Old Oct 3, 20, 9:05 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: ATL
Programs: Skypass, IHG
Posts: 160
From the Seattle Times article, wow.

1) Other passengers should have absolutely joined to help restraining the guy.
2) Is Korean still this tone deaf on PR?


“Suddenly this flight attendant comes running up to me, ‘Sir, I need your help, please,’ ” said Parente, of San Diego. “I run up and he’s kicking and trying to open the cockpit door. It’s your worst post-9/11 nightmare. “

Parente said the other man was about his own size and when the two of them started punching each other in the space of a business-class seat, “it was total madness.”

He said the other passengers did not get out of their seats, and it surprised him to find he was the “first line of defense.”

“I’m not saying you need to have armed guards on planes, but at the same time this was a very dangerous situation that could have been worse,” he said.

Korean Air said in an email that it routinely trains crew members how to subdue unruly passengers, including with a Taser. Korean Air also said that it doesn’t “hire people by their size and we trust all our crews are capable enough to conduct safety actions.”

“Unruly passengers are a broader issue that should be dealt with (by) airport and law enforcement authorities. We will continue to discuss with relevant stakeholders to eliminate such cases.”
t_cliff is offline  
Old Oct 3, 20, 9:53 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,234
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I'm not sure I like the idea of KE FAs using Tasers during a flight. People have died after being tasered and the middle of the Pacific is far from a good hospital or other qualified emergency medical care with appropriate availability of instruments and medication.
I respect your reservation. But keep in mind, the Taser is not deployed without cause. So while it is tragic to cause any death, the person subdued actually caused the deployment.

Also - just because the use of force may look justified, it does not mean the person using it felt good about it.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The guy seems to be a Korean national living in the USA, so I wonder what impact this incident will have on his visa status.
Difficult to say.
garykung is offline  
Old Oct 4, 20, 6:03 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Posts: 1,915
Originally Posted by t_cliff View Post
From the Seattle Times article, wow.

1) Other passengers should have absolutely joined to help restraining the guy.
2) Is Korean still this tone deaf on PR?


“Suddenly this flight attendant comes running up to me, ‘Sir, I need your help, please,’ ” said Parente, of San Diego. “I run up and he’s kicking and trying to open the cockpit door. It’s your worst post-9/11 nightmare. “

Parente said the other man was about his own size and when the two of them started punching each other in the space of a business-class seat, “it was total madness.”

He said the other passengers did not get out of their seats, and it surprised him to find he was the “first line of defense.”

“I’m not saying you need to have armed guards on planes, but at the same time this was a very dangerous situation that could have been worse,” he said.

Korean Air said in an email that it routinely trains crew members how to subdue unruly passengers, including with a Taser. Korean Air also said that it doesn’t “hire people by their size and we trust all our crews are capable enough to conduct safety actions.”

“Unruly passengers are a broader issue that should be dealt with (by) airport and law enforcement authorities. We will continue to discuss with relevant stakeholders to eliminate such cases.”
It's not surprising the other Korean passengers didn't get out of their seats. They don't intervene. Legally, you can get fined/sued/in trouble if you, say, step in a fight that doesn't involve you. And of course most are very non-confrontational anyway.
mikesaidyes is offline  
Old Oct 4, 20, 7:33 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Nashua, NH USA
Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Posts: 1,964
(copied from another forum) Much unruliness in the air can be avoided if airlines are willing to take sanctions against miscreants even if that incurs the wrath of their best corporation-customers.

(copied from another forum) Those, including airline and transit crew members, in charge of maintaining order need to have and be able to use force somewhat in excess of what miscreants can wield.
AllanJ is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 9:25 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Adelphi, MD
Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Posts: 624
After the 9-11 fiasco I thought everyone learned you have to get out of your seat and take action.
smith80678 is offline  
Old Oct 6, 20, 9:40 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 12,234
Originally Posted by smith80678 View Post
After the 9-11 fiasco I thought everyone learned you have to get out of your seat and take action.
I believe KE's situation is a little bit different from others.

South Korea adopts conscription. So it is safe to assume that every male receives some kind of military training. Because of that, things will be difficult.

That may also explain the need of Taser.
garykung is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: