HIGH Price of Nonstop Flights

Old Feb 12, 20, 1:45 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Posts: 1,894
HIGH Price of Nonstop Flights

Planning my annual trip home to the US and I gotta vent. Seriously - ICN-ATL round trip is WILDLY HIGH. Like it's wild to pay 1.7 million won (like 1450$) IN APRIL (4/23-5/8 is what I'm looking at).

If anyone's noticed - they don't even offer sale fares to ATL anymore through their direct site. Only L & K, the lowest 100% earnings class are available. Even NYC at this time is 1.4 million won (like 1200$) - and that includes a sale Q fare class one way!

Anyone else notice this recently? Like dang everyone in the US is getting amazing round trips to SE Asia but whew I'm paying out the nose to go back! It's crazy! I mean I always expect to pay more in Asia for regional flights, but in all my years this is the highest for such a random time. It gets even worse in summer like 2 million won.

Delta is barely like 150$ or so cheaper round trip - but Delta fares aren't refundable. Also - I try to book on KE Metal for max "benefits" and reducing issues with 3rd party sites.....
mikesaidyes is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 9:58 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 58
I did a search on Expedia using your dates. The Delta non stop is available for $1233 on Delta metal. Another option is a Delta issued ticket but on Korean Air metal, for $1317 also non stop. I'd view both fares as being pretty good in view of the length of the flight, being non stop, etc

Another option would be for you to look for a flight that goes to a big US gateway like NYC and then get a cheap domestic flight down to ATL. You will have to clear immigration and claim your bags at your port of entry, and then check in for your domestic flight but it may be cheaper that way.
BabyBearNewYork is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:48 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 58
To add to my earlier post: Korean air offers non stop flights ICN - JFK twice daily and the fare is $1076 for your dates. If you add a domestic flight, Delta would run you between $150-200 for JFK - ATL RT. Seems pretty similar to prices going non stop.
BabyBearNewYork is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 2:59 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,540
If u are flexible with dates or stops, it would be cheaper.

Going back to ATL one day early/late would run about $1250

If u take a stop at SFO, going to ATL and nonstop to ICN, it would be about $1200

These are on DL and KE

Google flights has a nice matrix of cheaper dates and such.
HawaiiO is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 4:04 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: ATL
Programs: Skypass, IHG
Posts: 159
ATL has been on the expensive side for KE for a while now. ORD and JFK has better fare. However, guess KE knows the connection flight cost to ATL and priced ATL flight accordingly. ICN - ATL used to be similarly priced as ORD and JFK.
t_cliff is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:25 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Posts: 1,894
Originally Posted by BabyBearNewYork View Post
To add to my earlier post: Korean air offers non stop flights ICN - JFK twice daily and the fare is $1076 for your dates. If you add a domestic flight, Delta would run you between $150-200 for JFK - ATL RT. Seems pretty similar to prices going non stop.
Yeah i checked this and it would come out as the same as a nonstop. Like actually maybe even more. I tried other cities too like ORD, IAD.
mikesaidyes is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:28 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Posts: 1,894
Originally Posted by BabyBearNewYork View Post
I did a search on Expedia using your dates. The Delta non stop is available for $1233 on Delta metal. Another option is a Delta issued ticket but on Korean Air metal, for $1317 also non stop. I'd view both fares as being pretty good in view of the length of the flight, being non stop, etc

Another option would be for you to look for a flight that goes to a big US gateway like NYC and then get a cheap domestic flight down to ATL. You will have to clear immigration and claim your bags at your port of entry, and then check in for your domestic flight but it may be cheaper that way.
Yes Delta was available, but I actually prefer the Korean Air times - gives me an extra day or two with the daytime arrival and departure. Also I really don't wanna land at ICN at 4 AM and have to stay awake all day. I've gotten very good at managing my routine with jet lag and KE timing.

Also, KE is VERY weird about extending benefits/seat choices/etc etc with codeshare. Like you can be an "Elite" KE member but have 0 benefits extended to you when you fly on other airlines' codeshare numbers of a Korean Air operated flight.

Also, Korean Air seats are more comfortable IMO - 2-3 inches more legroom, great recline, good flexible head rests. And also refundable.
mikesaidyes is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:30 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Posts: 1,894
Originally Posted by t_cliff View Post
ATL has been on the expensive side for KE for a while now. ORD and JFK has better fare. However, guess KE knows the connection flight cost to ATL and priced ATL flight accordingly. ICN - ATL used to be similarly priced as ORD and JFK.
Yes they used to come up as a "sale fare" destination on the KE Korean site. Not anymoreeee. I haven't seen a Q fare published in FOREVER. My guess is that 1) allllllllllllllllllll that connecting traffic, especially with NRT ending for DL. Like ALL of the Asian American population can connect through ATL-ICN simply and be on their way. And that will fill planes CONSTANTLY - leaving the few locals that use ICN-ATL at a premium.

Also, there's simply ZERO competition for KE/DL in ATL. Like ZERO. Even "one stops with short layover" cost about the same as nonstop.

The only way I've found a cheap ticket is 24 hours through China-US gateway City-Atl and that's ridiculous.
mikesaidyes is offline  
Old Feb 13, 20, 12:46 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
Yes Delta was available, but I actually prefer the Korean Air times - gives me an extra day or two with the daytime arrival and departure. Also I really don't wanna land at ICN at 4 AM and have to stay awake all day. I've gotten very good at managing my routine with jet lag and KE timing.

Also, KE is VERY weird about extending benefits/seat choices/etc etc with codeshare. Like you can be an "Elite" KE member but have 0 benefits extended to you when you fly on other airlines' codeshare numbers of a Korean Air operated flight.

Also, Korean Air seats are more comfortable IMO - 2-3 inches more legroom, great recline, good flexible head rests. And also refundable.
My point is, none of the fares above which are all non stop are anywhere near $1450 which is what your OP said
BabyBearNewYork is offline  
Old Feb 13, 20, 5:20 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Posts: 1,894
Originally Posted by BabyBearNewYork View Post
My point is, none of the fares above which are all non stop are anywhere near $1450 which is what your OP said
I just paid 1,700,000 KRW which is around 1450 USD to fly on Korean Air nonstop to Atlanta. For my dates - Delta was around 200$ cheaper or so depending on what site you bought it from/whether it was code share etc. IMO still 200$ isn't THAT much cheaper for overall price comparison.
mikesaidyes is offline  
Old Feb 13, 20, 7:32 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Programs: Marco Polo Club, JGC
Posts: 68
Just did a search from HKG to ATL and it's only USD883 if you came back on 5th. Wow. $500 could have gotten a round trip ticket to HKG from ICN. But if non-stop is the only way to go, not much choice I suppose.
kijhkijh is offline  
Old Feb 13, 20, 10:18 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Switzerland; South Korea
Programs: GP Diamond
Posts: 254
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes View Post
IMO still 200$ isn't THAT much cheaper for overall price comparison.
I'd pay the extra $200 any day to fly KE economy versus competition. Just for consistent service, amenities and leg room. Especially on such a long flight!
mikesaidyes likes this.
benji2227 is online now  
Old Feb 14, 20, 4:59 am
  #13  
Marriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 261
For some reason this summer KE flights are really costly to NA. I was able to pick up a business class to BKK from ICN in June for a competitive price. I might have to go to Canada, and KE economy is like $1500. I can do Air Canada business for $3000. I'll pony up money for business before paying so much for economy that doesn't even get me 100% miles.
t_cliff likes this.
Handcake is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 12:45 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Posts: 1,894
Originally Posted by Handcake View Post
For some reason this summer KE flights are really costly to NA. I was able to pick up a business class to BKK from ICN in June for a competitive price. I might have to go to Canada, and KE economy is like $1500. I can do Air Canada business for $3000. I'll pony up money for business before paying so much for economy that doesn't even get me 100% miles.
Yes the same nonstop ATL flight is really high in summer - almost 1700$!
mikesaidyes is offline  
Old Feb 15, 20, 8:13 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Switzerland; South Korea
Programs: GP Diamond
Posts: 254
I can only assume that this is due to lower demand in South/East Asia ("No Japan", Coronavirus...), leading KE to raise prices on other destinations such as North America and Europe.

Korean aviation industry is suffering with Jeju air just recently requesting employees to reduce wages by 30%, and KE delaying entry of already interviewed new staff originally supposed to enter company early 2020.
benji2227 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: