Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

KE 747-8 or A380 in J from ICN to ATL or JFK?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

I'll be flying to the US from Asia in December, in J on KE, by way of ICN. From ICN to the US, I have a choice of a KE 747-8 ICN-ATL or a KE A380 ICN-JFK, and then flying on to my final destination. I'd be aiming to be on the upper deck of the 747; I know on the A380, the whole top is J. I'd like to hear people's thoughts about which to choose.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Look at seat maps and avoid the risk of a middle seat in the 2-3-2 configurations that KE uses for business class on some aircraft.

Be aware that KE blocks the best business class seats for its own customers. As a DM (and therefore SkyTeam ElitePlus) on KE flights in business class, I can only pick from a bad subset of open business class seats, definitely not including seats in the smaller forward business class cabins on aircraft that have them such as the A380. IIRC the 747 has 2-3-2 business class rows on the lower deck, as do some 777s but might be used primarily for regional flights.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
747 no doubt. Biz is the Apex suite which is 2-2-2, but the window pairs are offset, so there's direct aisle access from every seat.

The A380 is 2-2-2 as well, but not offset like the Apex suite.

I flew ICN-ATL last month on the upper deck of the 747, and it was a great flight. Great service, tons of space, and tons of storage as well. Go with the Queen; you won't be disappointed.
Rhinolicious and t_cliff like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Look at seat maps and avoid the risk of a middle seat in the 2-3-2 configurations that KE uses for business class on some aircraft.

Be aware that KE blocks the best business class seats for its own customers. As a DM (and therefore SkyTeam ElitePlus) on KE flights in business class, I can only pick from a bad subset of open business class seats, definitely not including seats in the smaller forward business class cabins on aircraft that have them such as the A380. IIRC the 747 has 2-3-2 business class rows on the lower deck, as do some 777s but might be used primarily for regional flights.
You can pick what you want. Remove your SM #, add a KE SP#, it'll now allow KE to assign better seat. Once assigned, remove KE SP# and add DL SM# back. PITA, but gets things done.
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: AA PPro
Definitely the Apex suites in the 748i, window seat if you can! The A380 has a dated product and doesn't have direct aisle access for window pax like the 747.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 9:17 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by cnc2002
I'll be flying to the US from Asia in December, in J on KE, by way of ICN. From ICN to the US, I have a choice of a KE 747-8 ICN-ATL or a KE A380 ICN-JFK, and then flying on to my final destination. I'd be aiming to be on the upper deck of the 747; I know on the A380, the whole top is J. I'd like to hear people's thoughts about which to choose.
Please continue to follow this thread in the Korean Air forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Go with 747-8. The difference in the hard product in J between the two aircrafts is significant.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: Korean Air SkyPASS, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by eneq
747 no doubt. Biz is the Apex suite which is 2-2-2, but the window pairs are offset, so there's direct aisle access from every seat.

The A380 is 2-2-2 as well, but not offset like the Apex suite.

I flew ICN-ATL last month on the upper deck of the 747, and it was a great flight. Great service, tons of space, and tons of storage as well. Go with the Queen; you won't be disappointed.

Mind sharing which seat you were in? I'm booked in 21J in a couple of weeks, but it looks like 17A/17J are also available so I thought of asking my Korean Air rep to move me. Any problems with the back of that cabin? Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can pick what you want. Remove your SM #, add a KE SP#, it'll now allow KE to assign better seat. Once assigned, remove KE SP# and add DL SM# back. PITA, but gets things done.
Sorry if I sound silly, but, how do you change it? I can't see anything to click to change the FF number.

Thanks.

Alfie
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by Alfie800
Sorry if I sound silly, but, how do you change it? I can't see anything to click to change the FF number.

Thanks.

Alfie
Just call Korean Air customer service directly. MUCH easier than navigating the website as a non-regular member.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:47 am

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.