Help with Award Booking

Old Jul 13, 19, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Help with Award Booking

I've been looking for an award ticket from either HNL-LHR (or any European airport) OR LAX-LHR using my Korean miles and I am not able to find available flights. This is the first time booking a KE award--am I doing something wrong? Any insights on how I can use my miles to get to Europe are appreciated!
Thanks
Old Jul 14, 19, 2:10 am

If u plan on using KE flights then it would require two awards for the itinerary.
HNL/LAX to ICN
ICN to LHR.

if u plan to use Delta then u can look up the Skyteam awards.
Old Jul 17, 19, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks HawaiiO, two more questions for you:
1. Do the Delta awards have to go through ICN or can I route via the Mainland?
2. Can I book the Delta (or partner) award via the Korean Air website or do I need to do so via phone? I can't seem to get any results when searching for a partner award (I'm looking for June 2020 travel).
Cheers
K
Old Jul 17, 19, 8:47 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Always call. It's very 1990s but it's just the best way. If you try the website - try Internet Explorer first. Yes, the website is supported for all browsers, but still Korean technology can be a joke AND a pain in the ... at the same time.
Old Jul 17, 19, 9:31 pm

For Delta awards, u don't have to go through ICN.

The skyteam award as presented on the KE site, is very spotty especially for business class.
Usually when searching for flights, try economy to see if the flight is available.
if available n u want business or first class, call the airline.
Old Jul 19, 19, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, will try using IE and hope I have better luck.
Cheers
K
Old Jul 21, 19, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Note, even for DL Skymiles members, DL doesnt provide many J class seats at low level (this is the level that must be available for a partner to book).

Best bet is DL to LAX and then AF/KL from there.
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Nov 17, 19, 1:01 pm

I have been trying a sample (not yet ready to book) booking – roundtrip, Prestige class, 80,000 miles, SEA-AMS (or SEA-CDG), to learn how the Korean booking process works.

With each search I get
1) a “system error” message; or
2) “We are unable to find flights for your search. Please change your search criteria and try again”; or
3) a SEA-Beijing-AMS itinerary, followed by a message saying that that routing is not allowed.

From what I have read, such results are not uncommon - and I guess I would need to call Korean to make a booking.

My question is:
Can I simply give the phone agent several sets of dates (and they would then look up those dates and let me know what is available)? Fortunately my schedule is very flexible - and pretty much any dates would work. That being the case, would the agent be able to see a monthly or yearly schedule where they could simply tell me what they see as available - and then I could then choose whatever sets of dates they have found?
Old Nov 17, 19, 2:51 pm

If u want to fly KE on the SEA to AMS route, u would need 2 roundtrip awards SEA to ICN and ICN to AMS.

otherwise u can look for Skyteam awards on Delta which flies from SEA to AMS.

The skyteam DL awards are very sparse.
What u see is what u get on the KE website.
Old Nov 27, 19, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiO View Post
u can look for Skyteam awards on Delta which flies from SEA to AMS.
The skyteam DL awards are very sparse.
Korean offers a R/T in business, from U.S. to Europe, for only 80,000 miles; that's the award I am wanting to get.

If I check on the Skyteam webpage, wouldn't that bring up Delta's mileage requirement, which might be 160,000 or so miles?

Any advice on how to get the U.S. to Europe, 80,000-mile award would be appreciated.
Old Nov 27, 19, 9:45 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by muji View Post
Korean offers a R/T in business, from U.S. to Europe, for only 80,000 miles; that's the award I am wanting to get.

If I check on the Skyteam webpage, wouldn't that bring up Delta's mileage requirement, which might be 160,000 or so miles?

Any advice on how to get the U.S. to Europe, 80,000-mile award would be appreciated.
There's no "advice." You have to check continually, nonstop, every day, FARRR in advance. It's a matter of what partners give to Korean Air to have for mileage - and the answer is "not much." Usually like one seat.
Old Nov 27, 19, 10:32 pm

That 80k business class award from USA to Europe is for Skyteam award.

Originally Posted by muji View Post

Old Nov 28, 19, 12:03 am

I will check on the Skyteam site for flights (since I'll want to fly Delta or Air France, both of which fly out of Seattle to Europe).

I am still unclear, though, about this: If I check on the Skyteam webpage, wouldn't that bring up Delta's or Air France's mileage requirements, (which would not be just 80,000 for R/T business)? My goal is to get the 80,000-mile R/T in business award.
Old Nov 28, 19, 12:31 am

This is assuming u are using korean air miles for the usa to europe trip.

It is 80k miles on business class for skyteam airlines.

The requirements are on the korean air skypass webpage.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: