Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Korean Bumped me out of F!!! [Rerouted and resolved]

Old May 4, 19, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 7MM Exec,Life Plat, SPG Plat Amb,Life Plat,Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat

Hello:

11 months ago I looked at flying from SE Asia to Vancouver......All routes were open in F and I booked a F class seat with KE miles. Now 4 months prior to departure I receive an email showing that they have eliminated F on my flights and I am now in J. I am a big guy, I enjoy F class travel and that is what I paid for. I contacted them and was told at this time, if I choose to flight in F to NY or LA, there is no availability for mileage seats??????? But they bumped me out of my first class flight for their own $$ betterment? I offered different dates, times, my simple request to provide me the F class flight I paid for? They said award availability is no longer available for any other routes in F at that time. Why are their actions becoming my problem? Shouldn't KE stand by me and accommodate me in class of service booked? Thoughts? Suggestions? I have been speaking to someone in reservations in their KL Malaysia call center......Three managers last evening.......UGH!
Old May 4, 19, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are entitled to: 1. a refund of the fare difference between F and J or 2. A refund and cancellation of the ticket.

Most carriers would force space, but KE apparently won't as a policy matter. You could try calling back and escalating this as you are a long ways to your travel date, but you might be better off looking at rebooking OA to see if you can find F.
Old May 13, 19, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by NYCtraveler View Post
Hello:

11 months ago I looked at flying from SE Asia to Vancouver......All routes were open in F and I booked a F class seat with KE miles. Now 4 months prior to departure I receive an email showing that they have eliminated F on my flights and I am now in J. I am a big guy, I enjoy F class travel and that is what I paid for. I contacted them and was told at this time, if I choose to flight in F to NY or LA, there is no availability for mileage seats??????? But they bumped me out of my first class flight for their own $$ betterment? I offered different dates, times, my simple request to provide me the F class flight I paid for? They said award availability is no longer available for any other routes in F at that time. Why are their actions becoming my problem? Shouldn't KE stand by me and accommodate me in class of service booked? Thoughts? Suggestions? I have been speaking to someone in reservations in their KL Malaysia call center......Three managers last evening.......UGH!
Korean air is in the process of removing Most First Class seats starting in June. Your routing maybe a casualty of that. That is why they can't help you regarding first class.
Old May 13, 19, 9:59 am
Community Director

F has been eliminated on my Phnom Penh flight but not my LAX flight. Are you saying that you have been downgraded to biz on your flight from ICN to the US?
Old May 13, 19, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
F has been eliminated on my Phnom Penh flight but not my LAX flight. Are you saying that you have been downgraded to biz on your flight from ICN to the US?
Vancouver is Canada, and looks like 787 is on that route. That plane first class is same as business class so they probably got rid of first class. When I did dummy booking for first class from Vancouver it shows a route to lax then a380 to icn. So yes first class is removed from Vancouver route
Old May 13, 19, 6:51 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by dallaspopo View Post
Vancouver is Canada, and looks like 787 is on that route. That plane first class is same as business class so they probably got rid of first class. When I did dummy booking for first class from Vancouver it shows a route to lax then a380 to icn. So yes first class is removed from Vancouver route
Ahhh, thanks for the explanation. How frustrating for the OP.
Old May 20, 19, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 7MM Exec,Life Plat, SPG Plat Amb,Life Plat,Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat
In the End Korean did me right......

Finally after weeks of wrangling, I was able to work with Korean and come to a Positive resolution. When I was booking Vancouver, it was between Vancouver or NY to visit family. So when they cancelled my out of F on the YVR route, I viewed it as a "sign" that perhaps I should just go visit the family and fly to NY using my F class ticket. The problem was that I had so many layers of people to speak to at Korean Before finally reaching a supervisor.

Once Reaching the Supervisor, he was efficient, effective and Very positive. He promised nothing originally, but said he would try, as I was asking for a change in routing and date. He asked what dates I preferred and that I def wanted F class, I said yes and gave my dates. It took about a week or two and I received a notification that my "Waitlist" had confirmed to NY......Korean DID stand up and clear the waitlist and get me to NY in F class. As of this morning......I am newly ticketed, old ticket cancelled and this situation had a positive outcome.

THANK YOU, Korean Air.

Safe Travels to all!
Old May 22, 19, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Glad it worked out for you.