Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Is Prestige class food normally this bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

I flew from Las Vegas to Incheon via Prestige (Business) class.
This was the first meal (dinner):

There's no effort in this meal at all. It could be the same economy meal in just fancy China plating.
The morning meal was just as bad, porridge that could have been microwaved.
Just really shocked at the lack of effort by Korean Air.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by superbobbay
I flew from Las Vegas to Incheon via Prestige (Business) class.
This was the first meal (dinner):

There's no effort in this meal at all. It could be the same economy meal in just fancy China plating.
The morning meal was just as bad, porridge that could have been microwaved.
Just really shocked at the lack of effort by Korean Air.
looks like their regular bibimbap served in business class...
nancypants and gpy like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Both dishes you ate are traditional Korean dishes. That is bibimbap. It is a "regular" dish. They ALWAYS serve it on flights departing the US. The porridge is also a traditional Korean dish called juk (jook). Koreans love it for its simplicity and kind of comfort feeling (and it's not supposed to be super spicy or salty or anything like that).

Edit: And you're supposed to mix the rice and veggies. Not eat it seperately. They should give you an instruction card.
iceman21 and Unionruler like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Skypass MMC, Delta Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium
Well, when you order bibimbap or the porridge, then that's what you get.
I never order Korean dishes when flying prestige class.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Same on pretty much every KE route. Mine seemed to have slightly more food JFK > ICN

superbobbay likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: Miles and More, Flying Blue, AA Advantage
I am glad to admit that KE J food is not too attractive -- especially, they seem not to change menus for years, and what they have is rather solid (i.e. heavy) food, not to speak about limited wine choice and quality, and lack of familiarity of crew with serving it. However, what OP is posting is the very classic Korean menu. I think bibimbap's quality (rather good, IMHO) has already been discussed on FT.

Questions for OP: was OP asked to choose between Korean and non-Korean menu? Was OP asked whether s/he is familiar with Korean food and how to prepare it? In my experience, the answer is yes to both (unless passenger is Korean-speaking, in which case the second question is skipped).

Then, if OP answered yes to both questions, and actually was unaware of how to prepare bibimbap... well, I agree a burger is much easier to eat, as it requires basic hunger instinct only, but not all dishes are that simple.

Regarding juk, that's the standard congee eaten all over East Asia. Personally I can't stand it, though I like oatmeal (go find out), but again, it's standard and I doubt it was forced instead of the western breakfast.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Yes I'm quite familiar with bibimbap and know how to eat it. Just Google images for bibimbap and you'll see extremely appetizing pictures. Then compare that to the picture in my original post. Night and day! It's comparable to what college kids make in their dorms. I just expected a bit more effort in business class. Honestly the ingredients they used is probably the exact same as economy, only difference is silverware. Maybe my expectations are too high. I did fly on Turkish Airlines business class and boy do they put in the effort into their food!

Also regarding porridge. There are fancy porridge with diverse ingredients. But the meal I got looked like it was from a plain ready-to-eat packet from Family Mart that just got microwaved. Next time I'm going to definitely opt for the Western meals! I think Korean Air's attitude is that they can skimp out feeding natives with homely meals, but need impress Westerners with nicer meals.

Fresh veggies, mushrooms, ground beef. Seems doable to prep in business class, no? Maybe the egg would be difficult though.

This wouldn't take much effort to cook either
slimjin likes this.

Last edited by superbobbay; May 1, 2019 at 3:14 am
Old May 29, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: DL DM
Last fall I flew on both DL and KE on a trip. I had bibimbap on both. DL was by far the winner. No, I'm not Asian. But love Asian food. KE's was just unimpressive. Very bland tasting. Looking forward to hopefully having DL's version again this September.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I flew four legs of KE Prestige class on a journey to AKL via ICN.
The menu was the same on each of them!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:00 am

While KE might be below other airlines on the plating (how good the dish looks), and the variety of dishes (you know what you'll get), I find the actual meal procedure/service to be above the majority of airlines.

The meal starts with pre-starter, starter, soup, main course and then you get the cheese, fruit/dessert trolley.

Most airlines will just do a first course/main course/desert kind of meal.

Now if KE would add variety and better plating...

Last edited by benji2227; Jul 8, 2019 at 3:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.