Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Which aircraft - pros/cons? US - Maldives in First itinerary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

In a few weeks, planning on booking our tickets from the North East (NY) US to the Maldives (or vice versa). We have enough Skypass points for (2) 1-way tickets (we'll use AA miles on either Qatar or Etihad for the other direction).

Choice #1 : Aircraft type (subject to change, as this is for an April 2020 booking)

If leaving from the US, we can leave out of pretty much any airport, but it looks like the closest choices are (assuming I have remembered correctly):

Boston on the 787 ("sleeper" Suites)
JFK on the A-380 (old Kosmo Suites)
JFK on the 747 (Kosmo 2.0 Suites)
IAD on the 777 (Kosmo 2.0 Suites)

I'm leaning towards the Kosmo 2.0 Suites, especially on the 747 as first choice, then the IAD flight, then the A-380, then the 787.

On the other hand, the A-380 bar/lounge area seems kinda neat too. Although I'm not sure yet which I'd prefer. And I think I read some reviews about some of the aircraft being very warm and some aircraft not having individual air nozzles? (or was that on the Qsuites flights?)

Yes, I know that once we get to ICN we switch to an A330 and then onto Colombo and then Maldives, I believe.

Choice #2 :
Do we just layover in ICN, or try to do the layover (although I think they're ending this, but can't remember if it's ending based upon booking, or when you travel?) If it's ending before we can do the more than 24-hour layover, then a moot point. Otherwise, was thinking of just doing a 1-night layover and staying at the Hyatt? (I was trying to use my Marriott free night cert, but doesn't look like they have anything within a 50-mile radius).

I'm assuming if we do the "reverse" (MLE to NY), that the flight/aircraft options are basically the same, depending on when and where you fly into?

Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 6:10 pm

The 747 should be best i feel.
a380 F cabin is very big n open n has no doors for the seats.
the lounge is a bit overrated imo.

If u travel west , u get a longer flight time.
so if u want to spend more time in the seats, go west the whole trip!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
747 is the newest seat - but that's a midnight flight so you would arrive in Korea at 5 AM....then Maldives flight is like late 11:30 PM. You can do your own transit tour - enter the country yourself, explore THE ENTIRE day and head back to the airport VERY LATE. Seoul doesn't "get going" until like 11 AM, so I'd recommend you go to Siloam Sauna and shower and even take a quick rest and enjoy the sauna experience if you're intersted...then head to palaces and markets for the day.

Honestly, if your flight is at 11:30 and you have your boarding pass and bags already checked...you don't need to be back to the airport until 10:30 PM. T2 TRULY is empty and SO QUIET, so you wouldn't have to get on the train until 9:30. Korean Air doesn't even start boarding until 30 mins before departure for all flights.

If you take the A380 you arrive like 4 PMish, and you wouldn't have enough time to go out of the airport - a long 7 hours to stay in ICN, even though it IS a nice airport!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Just sat upstairs in the 747-8 and loved the Kosmo 2/Apex seat. Most sleep I've had on a plane in quite some time. If anything, the upstairs was too cold rather than the oven I expected a KE flight to be.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

Here's hoping the 747 is still "on schedule" next year, LOL!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: United, Hawaiian, American, Southwest, Asia Miles, Qantas, Lufthansa, Alaska, Emirates, Delta, Swiss
Just returned from the Maldives. Flew Korean outbound from San Fran in the Kosmo 2.0. I was VERY pleasantly surprised with not only the room but the comfort. Our route was PHX-SFO on Southwest, SFO-ICN, then ICN-CMB, then CMB-MLE. The ICN-CMB and CMB-MLE was in Korean First Class Sleeper and the service was First Class but in reality the seats were exactly the same as business and only separated by a curtain.

Our Return flights were in Etihad First Class from MLE-AUH, AUH-LAX. Obviously the product is fantastic. We then were AA First Class from LAX-PHX.

Should you have an extended lay over in AUH, I would highly recommend hiring a room in the Aerotel Airport Hotel. We hired a room for 6.5 hours and it was excellent.

Hope this helps.
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spirith20
Just returned from the Maldives. Flew Korean outbound from San Fran in the Kosmo 2.0. I was VERY pleasantly surprised with not only the room but the comfort. Our route was PHX-SFO on Southwest, SFO-ICN, then ICN-CMB, then CMB-MLE. The ICN-CMB and CMB-MLE was in Korean First Class Sleeper and the service was First Class but in reality the seats were exactly the same as business and only separated by a curtain.

Our Return flights were in Etihad First Class from MLE-AUH, AUH-LAX. Obviously the product is fantastic. We then were AA First Class from LAX-PHX.

Should you have an extended lay over in AUH, I would highly recommend hiring a room in the Aerotel Airport Hotel. We hired a room for 6.5 hours and it was excellent.

Hope this helps.
thank you very much! Yes, we will likely have a layover in AUH. Thank you for the airport hotel info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.