Search

Layover at ICN: luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Layover at ICN: luggage?

Hi guys,

How does the layover work at ICN if I fly on KE: KIX-ICN-CDG?

Do we have to take our luggage, and then check in once again at ICN (like in the U.S.)?

Regards
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Your bags with KE should be tagged and checked thru to CDG at KIX, Boarding Passes issued for both flight segments - similar to our TPE-ICN-JFK routing earlier this month (confirm that with the ticket stubs given to you at the counter)

Flight will arrive ICN's gate into level 2 (floor) - follow signs for Transit Passengers (keep right) - go thru security by showing your BP(no bottled water, 3-1-1 and laptop/tablets out on its own tray for screening, belts off, shoes on) and then escalators/elevators one level up to 3/F for departure flight, check the display monitors for your gate.

There is no need to see the gate agent at the counter, boarding time as indicated (announcement is done in Korean first, so it's a disadvantage to English speakers) with First/Business class & elite status flyers invited to board first (along with those traveling with infants/small child or special needs)
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Thank you, that's very informative
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: SQ Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, DL Silver, AS MVP, B6 Mosaic, QR, EY, KE, CX, PR
Originally Posted by Letitride3c

Flight will arrive ICN's gate into level 2 (floor) - follow signs for Transit Passengers (keep right) - go thru security by showing your BP(no bottled water, 3-1-1 and laptop/tablets out on its own tray for screening, belts off, shoes on) and then escalators/elevators one level up to 3/F for departure flight, check the display monitors for your gate.
How about if the layover is more than 10 hrs and the person would like to go out and see Seoul? I'm assuming KE will store check bags in the terminal. So you head to arrival, clear immigration with KE boarding pass? and take the bus/tour?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedAdvantage
How about if the layover is more than 10 hrs and the person would like to go out and see Seoul? I'm assuming KE will store check bags in the terminal. So you head to arrival, clear immigration with KE boarding pass? and take the bus/tour?
We picked up several English brochures @ICN (Welcome to KoreaFree Transit Tour) to reference it for future visit, since nobody else responded yet to this, I will try my best.

As you have 10+ hours, there are 3 tours of 5 hours in duration & should be good for you:
Seoul City Tour (08:00 - 13:00)
Seoul Cultural Tour (10:00 - 15:00) ** not offered on Mondays
Seoul Shopping Tour (13:00 - 18:00) ** not offered on Tuesday

Tour bus & guide are included, free. Application entrance fee ($3) and lunch ($7) in USD excluded - to be collected.

To book or sign-up for it, Passport, former (inbound) Flight Ticket/BP and next Boarding Pass required - go to the Transit tour Main Desk @ 1/F - Arrival Hall, No 41 & No. 42 counters, open hours 06:00 - 18:00
Email - transittour@airportkr
Tel +82-32-741-3139 or 3140, +82-2-6944-8464

From the departure floor, ask at the tour desk on 2/F or go to the transit tour desk on 1/F. Heavy luggage - you can put your luggage in the tour desk or in the tour bus until the tour ends. No, you do not need a transit visa. You have to fill out arrival card with your passport, and then go to the transit tour desk. Staff will help you with the process.
(My notes above info is taken directly from the brochure obtained - as we all know, it's all subject to change, please re/confirm with them on arrival.

AREX or Airport Railroad Express Train is the fastest way between ICN and Seoul with 43 minutes travel time, the "normal" train is slower. By taxi or non-stop bus, one hour is the minimum travel time from our experience. Having spent last week in Seoul, I can attest that traffic in & around the city is as bad as LAX, especially during the AM and PM rush.
Enjoy
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta, United, American
Great details. Thanks! I have a similar question about a trip...

I will be flying ATL-ICN-AKL (used miles....) and have a 23.5 hr layover. Arrive at 5:30p and leave 5:00p the next day. I plan to arrive, leave airport to local hotel to get some sleep. Planned to return the next morning and take the 10am 5 hour tour before the next long overnight flight.

Questions... as a legal connection on one record locator... I assume KE will check my luggage through.

1. Any concerns with luggage sitting around for 23.5 hrs in the Seoul airport?
2. Can I request luggage only be checked to ICN and recheck in the next morning... 8+ hrs before my actual flight?

Re Free City Tour... I'm a little confused with the maps online...

3. if I left the airport and come back the next morning... where is the tour desk exactly located (is it inside or outside security on the departure level)? Don't want to get lost and miss the tour.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
If you're going there for 23 hours, don't rely on a free tour. Stay in a hotel in Myeongdong. Very central location for shopping and all the tourist sites. You can easily take Limo Bus or subway one or two stops to AREX line.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
What I mean is, the local tour does what you can do easily on your own. You'll be wasting two hours combined... going back to the airport, only to return to Seoul to the same area again.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: CX, UA
Slightly Different Scenario

Hi, Guys,

I am really glad I found this. My question is along the same line, but slightly different.

I am flying from ORD into ICN with Korean Airline with a 3-hour-50-minute layover, then fly Cathay Pacific to HKG. Do I need to claim my bag and re-check at CX?

Are 4 hours enough to run from the Korean Airline arrival terminal to CX check in?

thanks.

Mike
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by vhmchan
... I am flying from ORD into ICN with Korean Airline with a 3-hour-50-minute layover, then fly Cathay Pacific to HKG. Do I need to claim my bag and re-check at CX?

Are 4 hours enough to run from the Korean Airline arrival terminal to CX check in? thanks. Mike
Hi, Mike & welcome to FT - saw your PM as well.

A. No, you do not need to reclaim your checked luggage as transit passenger at ICN. When you check in @ORD, please confirm with KE agent and make sure your bags are tagged correctly to HKG as your final destination - they will take care of the rest between the connection. Keep your claim ticket(s) but it's usually stapled to your paper boarding passes, if used or else to the receipt given to you at the ORD counter. You should, if I remember correctly, get both sets of BP at ORD for ICN and for HKG. Otherwise, look for the UA counter on arrival in ICN in getting your BP issued, as you will need that to go thru / clear transit security & passport check. https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...-services.html

After landing, follow signage for transit passenger - have your BP & passport ready - no need to run, you will have plenty of time to stroll thru the terminal airside, check out the shops, etc. once you get upstairs for the departure level ... even if your flight is a little late, plenty of layover time. No liquids allowed to go thru transit security, except 3-1-1 items, ... finish drinking whatever beverages, i.e. bottled water or soda from your flight before you go thru, or, drop them into those huge drums.

Upstairs to departure, there are free showers available, clean & complimentary, towels provided - it's a great way to get refreshed, for all travelers in transit. You don't need access or membership for the free shower - it's near the airport's "Transit Hotel," across from the internet center (very, very fast & free WiFi). Stop in there & check both of them out - although WiFi is everywhere all over the terminal. There are loungers & comfortable sofa in that area to sit back & relax, above the terminal & near the KE lounges.

On departure level, there's a customer service center in the middle - multi-lingual staffed and they can provide info, directions, help and show you the way - feel free to use it, just look for the signs or use the directory guide posted everywhere as you come off.

It's a long 13 hour flight out of ORD, just like JFK - there are a variety of dining options in the terminal, make a stop at one of them & grab a bite to eat, credit cards widely accepted so you don't need to worry about local currency ... it will be a while before your CX flight take off - and, for any meal services after airborne.

We usually fly CX but KE's inflight services, per opinions of DW, are even better if not just as excellent - enjoy & have a safe, wonderful trip.
dpd82 likes this.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Aug 20, 2016 at 2:54 pm Reason: fixed spell error/typo - nobody saw it, LOL
Old Jul 17, 2016, 10:55 pm

Thanks, Letitride3c!

I am really glad that I found this! I am much less anxious about the trip now.

Mike
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:06 pm

Dear Mr. Letitride3c,
It happened as you indicated. My transit was perfect!
Thank you!
Mike
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:13 pm

I'm trying to figure out this transit hotel thing. I arrive in ICN at 11pm in terminal 1 on Singapore. My next flight is on asiana in terminal 2 the following day at 8:20am. Do i need to claim my bags since its overnight, and a 9+ hour layover? If i claim bags doesn't that mean i'm clearing customs? Ideally they'd check my bags through for me and I just stay at the transit hotel. thanks!
Old May 1, 2018, 12:20 am

I think Asiana is still at ICN Terminal 1.

If it is checked through, u wouldnt need to claim your bags and can just go through transit.
There is a transit hotel inside the airport on the airside.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
30hr layover: will I need to recheck bags?

I have a 30hr layover in Seoul, which I am using as an opportunity to stay overnight and spend a day exploring central Seoul.

AKL -> ICN on Korean Air, arrive at 19:35
ICN -> AMS on KLM, depart at 00:55 (+2)

Question: Do I have to collect my checked baggage on arrival at ICN, or will Korean/KLM store it at ICN and load it on the AMS flight?
I would prefer to leave my bags at ICN and just travel light for a day.
All flights are on a single e-ticket, booked as a multi-city trip on the Korean Air web site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.