Award Fuel Surcharges

Old Feb 20, 19, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Award Fuel Surcharges

Did KE raise its fuel surcharges on awards? Looking at J or F award BKK-SFO, and it's $220 US. I paid $66 last year for F SFO-BKK.
Old Feb 21, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Depends on direction of travel. SFO-BKK is currently US$111 for taxes and carrier-imposed surcharges right now. BKK-SFO is US$220 as you say. A round trip is US$251 when originating in the US. A round trip is US$411 when originating at BKK. (This is based off of revenue fares. KE pretty reliably charges on awards exactly what would be charged on a paid ticket.)
Old Feb 21, 19, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
Depends on direction of travel. SFO-BKK is currently US$111 for taxes and carrier-imposed surcharges right now. BKK-SFO is US$220 as you say. A round trip is US$251 when originating in the US. A round trip is US$411 when originating at BKK. (This is based off of revenue fares. KE pretty reliably charges on awards exactly what would be charged on a paid ticket.)
Thanks for the detailed response. So looks like they've gone up 68% since last spring on SFO-BKK (and I assume BKK-SFO has also risen, but have no comparison point).
Old Feb 22, 19, 6:44 am

On SFO-BKK, $71.80 is an actual KE-imposed surcharge. The rest are taxes and airport fees.

Compared to BA (and other European carriers), this is all quite reasonable. KE's award chart is still pretty reasonable and F availability is stellar, so I don't mind paying a little cash co-pay, in effect, for that to keep working.
Old Feb 22, 19, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
Compared to BA (and other European carriers), this is all quite reasonable. KE's award chart is still pretty reasonable and F availability is stellar, so I don't mind paying a little cash co-pay, in effect, for that to keep working.
I'm only mildly complaining, especially in light of what seems to be a return to excellent availability after a period of darkness.

Most of my redemptions are UA, which doesn't assess any fuel surcharges at all.
Old Feb 22, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: *S(A3), Marriott Plat, AS MVP, BA, AP, DL, KE
Is there a chart where it shows which partner charges YQ and which does not? I can only manage to find one for Delta Skypeso. 80k RT to Europe seems like a very good deal.
Old Feb 22, 19, 12:52 pm

For KE, I think the best we've been able to ascertain is that if the operating carrier charges YQ or YR on a revenue ticket on the route, KE will charge it on an award redemption. Use ITA Matrix to check what's charged on a revenue booking and go from there.
Old Apr 20, 19, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, Hilton, IHG, Radisson
Seems like KE has started charging YQ on its own metal to/from ICN. E.g. ATL-ICN in both directions. I don't think they used to for to/from ICN?? I know they used to if you started from China, or were going to China. HKG-ICN-North America had super low YQ (of $1 or so) but I know they passed that on in the past.