Advanced seat selection?

Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Advanced seat selection?

Looking to purchase a trip DFW-ICN-HKT all on KE.... for the life of me, I can't figure out if I can select seats at time of purchase or what. Any insight? It will be economy Q/T fares.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:10 am

You can select a seat once the ticket is purchased. But probably will be restricted to the back of the plane depending on fare class. That's why the common tip is to select the seat ONLY at time of online check-in (48h before) so you have access to 100% of available seats.

If you select a seat at purchase, you won't be able to change it during online check-in. (only at the counter).
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:44 pm
siw

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by benji2227
You can select a seat once the ticket is purchased. But probably will be restricted to the back of the plane depending on fare class. That's why the common tip is to select the seat ONLY at time of online check-in (48h before) so you have access to 100% of available seats.

If you select a seat at purchase, you won't be able to change it during online check-in. (only at the counter).
I did not know that rule. I picked my business class seats but the choice was limited to the back in each flight, even though I do not fly until May and June. Can I not really change seats during online check-in? Never seen that, nor limited seat choices, with any other airline.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:50 pm

Recently KE changed the seat selection option on purchase of fares.
The cheaper fares do not get to select seats at purchase.
They can only select seats 3 days or 1 day before the flight departs, depending on location.

KE also blocks out many seats for cheap fares.

Suggest u call or do webchat with a KE rep as to whether u can select seats for Q/T fares.
I dont think it is possible to select but might be wrong.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
All others are correct. Only the far back of the plane is open for pre-selection until web check in. But at web check in, the entire plane opens up so you have much better choices.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by benji2227

I bought tickets in late October 2018 for travel in late November 2018, and selected seats towards the rear of the plane during booking, I provided my Skymiles number (I'm Delta PM). Once the ticketing was completed, I had an online chat via KE's website with a ticket agent who got us seats towards the front of the main cabin. This may have been due to my status though (STE+)
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
For economy,
"N" and "T" can't select seats until web check in opens.
"Q" can do advance seat selection.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by VoiD
For economy,
"N" and "T" can't select seats until web check in opens.
"Q" can do advance seat selection.
But is it not also the case that some seats are held back for fares Q and above up to Prestige until online check-in?

I would also like confirmation that having chosen seats at purchase denies one the ability to make changes with the online check-in.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, AA EXP, UA Gold
Yes it seems most front of aircraft is blocked unless you're at least a morning calm member. as for not being able to change seats, that's what I've been hearing as well. I usually choose whatever best seat available before web check-in and request an exit row seat during baggage drop off.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Can confirm even on Q and L fares that they only give the FAR back of the plane if you're not Morning Calm (at least in the app). My bf and I just took a trip to the US and back and I had to get him linked to me to get the good seats at the front. You CAN change seats at web check in now. There's no message about "you can't make any changes" anymore.
Xeno likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.