FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Korean Air | SkyPass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korean-air-skypass-621/)
-   -   Making the Most of KE82 F A380 JFK-ICN? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korean-air-skypass/1944289-making-most-ke82-f-a380-jfk-icn.html)

decillion Dec 6, 2018 12:23 pm

Making the Most of KE82 F A380 JFK-ICN?

If anyone has any advice on how to maximize lounges/perks/benefits for my family of 3 in F on the A380 from JFK-ICN-KIX in a couple of weeks that would be super helpful! We booked these using miles and do not have any status on Korean.

I've heard that at ICN there are free metal luggage tags in the F lounge? And that the KE lounge in JFK sucks?
Is there expedited security/check-in at ICN/JFK?

I'm also staying at the Grand Hyatt Incheon overnight when I get to Seoul before heading to Osaka and was planning to get dinner/spend a few hours at night in Myeongdong/Insadong - are there efficient shuttles or transportations options to and from the hotel, to and from Seoul? Are there any cool exhibits/restaurants in the terminal we shouldn't miss in ICN?

Also on board, are there any good cocktails or snack items/meals that we should pick? I know there's a bibimbap but I've had tons of good Korean food in NY/LA and am skeptical it can be made better in a first class cabin than on the ground.

Thanks so much everyone!

HawaiiO Dec 6, 2018 6:56 pm

At ICN, on the far Right side as u enter T2, there is a walled off checkin counter for First and Biz pax.
Not much difference except it offers some privacy during checkins for celebrities and such.
Still have to exit and go through normal security and immigration after that.

Inside the airport, there is a cultural center which lets foreigners make a korean cultural item like a small desk or fan or whatever.
It is free and doesnt take long but requires at least 1 hour time before boarding.
Say your boarding is at 2pm and they wont accept u if the current time is at 1.35pm.

There are sometimes musical performances near the cultural center as well.

At T2 basement there is a food court consisting of famous restaurants from the Seoul area.
The food there is good, better than the lounge food at the biz lounge.
I like the grilled "dak galbi" which is grilled chicken meat
The korean pancake shop is good too.

ICN airport also has a roaming helper robot!
Most times it is charging at the docking station but u can see it moving around sometimes.
Can talk to it and ask questions i guess.

From the Hyatt, go back to the airport and take a limo bus to Myeongdong or Insadong.
I recommend the KAL buses as they seem to have less stops and go direct from T2 to Seoul.
WIth the regular limo buses, the bus goes to T1 first and takes longer.
Much faster on the KAL bus.
Cost around 16,000 krw one way.

I wouldnt recommend the bibimbab onboard as u can get much better versions elsewhere.
There is some special drink on KE, non-alcoholic but i cant remember the name.
The pajamas do run small (asian size)

U can go upstairs to the Celestial lounge which is quite cool.
At the back of the upper deck, there is also a bar.
Also a duty free section at the end of the main deck.
The F seats are at the front of the main deck.

decillion Dec 6, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks so much! Is there a schedule posted for the limo bus? Is this faster than the subway? What's the fastest way of getting from T2 to Hyatt?

FlyingKansan Dec 6, 2018 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by decillion (Post 30507400)
Thanks so much! Is there a schedule posted for the limo bus? Is this faster than the subway? What's the fastest way of getting from T2 to Hyatt?

6015 Line

Alternate Routes

gpy Dec 6, 2018 11:11 pm

The JFK KE lounge is terrible - we always use the Air France lounge instead. It's a bit further away so just make sure to leave time for the walk to the gate.

We arrived at the gate a bit before scheduled boarding and I guess they board very early because we were almost the last ones, which is not actually a bad thing since all of economy walks through the F cabin at JFK.

I personally don't enjoy Myeongdong - much like Times Square in NY it is 90% awful tourists and 10% people who work in the neighborhood and don't want to be there. Insadong worth a visit!

erik123 Dec 7, 2018 9:20 am

Depending on the length of your layover I would consider staying in town. Hongdae would be my suggestion as there's a ton to see/do at night. The lounges at JFK/ICN suck.

skywalkerLAX Dec 7, 2018 10:45 am

What time is your flight to Osaka next day? I'd consider staying in the city and not messing around with the terminals public areas and the GH Incheon.

People like to hate on Myeongdong but it's always fun to walk around. Aloft Gangnam and The Plaza are good hotels there.

Park Hyatt Seoul in Gangnam is great if you're a Hyatt guy (it's a Cat 5 property and well worth it).

I used the GH (former HR) ICN a lot in the past but I've somehow grown out of the property and rather head into town nowadays. Btw you should consider the AREX train if you're heading to Myeongdong.

decillion Dec 8, 2018 1:51 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX (Post 30509422)
What time is your flight to Osaka next day? I'd consider staying in the city and not messing around with the terminals public areas and the GH Incheon.

People like to hate on Myeongdong but it's always fun to walk around. Aloft Gangnam and The Plaza are good hotels there.

Park Hyatt Seoul in Gangnam is great if you're a Hyatt guy (it's a Cat 5 property and well worth it).

I used the GH (former HR) ICN a lot in the past but I've somehow grown out of the property and rather head into town nowadays. Btw you should consider the AREX train if you're heading to Myeongdong.

my parents and I get in around 5 PM. Fly out the next day at 10 AM. We’re gonna spend maybe ~4 hours eating and just walking around for a bit. Are the public areas you’re referirng to not safe and is the AREX faster? I think we’re leaning towards Insadong and the river.

hooni212 Dec 8, 2018 12:22 pm

I would also recommend staying in the city. You'll be wasting a lot of time going to the Hyatt Incheon and then back to T2 to catch the KAL limo into Seoul. Staying at a hotel that is a stop on KAL limo is your best bet. Plaza, Lotte, Westin Chosun are all a 10 minute walk to Myungdong. Also many local eateries around those hotels. Catch the 6:30-7am KAL Limo back to T2 next am.

decillion Dec 8, 2018 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by hooni212 (Post 30513253)
I would also recommend staying in the city. You'll be wasting a lot of time going to the Hyatt Incheon and then back to T2 to catch the KAL limo into Seoul. Staying at a hotel that is a stop on KAL limo is your best bet. Plaza, Lotte, Westin Chosun are all a 10 minute walk to Myungdong. Also many local eateries around those hotels. Catch the 6:30-7am KAL Limo back to T2 next am.

Sure. But what if we don't use the KAL limo and we use public transit or taxi? Which is faster?

hooni212 Dec 8, 2018 5:47 pm

The train is great if you don't have too much luggage. If you do then there's a bunch of escalators, elevators, and a txfr you need to deal with.

Taxi is faster but you might have a hard time fitting all your luggage into the regular taxis ($50) in which case you have to take the luxury black cabs that cost around $100 into the city. When I travel with my family of 3 we sometimes have to take the jumbo black van cabs that cost even more.

Most people I know who go to Seoul frequently stick with the KAL Limo for a reason especially out of T2. So much more convenient and comfortable ride. Also very frequent with stops to most big name hotels.

​​​​​​https://www.kallimousine.com/eng/schedule_en.asp

mikesaidyes Dec 9, 2018 6:33 am

IF you arrive at 5 PM - you'll be into Seoul by 7 PM. KAL Limo Bus from T2 is now faster - all other buses go to T1 and that adds 20 mins.

If you stay at the Grand Hyatt - I would not go all the way back to T2 to take a bus. It's literally right next door to T1 and again - 20 mins by road from T1 to T2.

Seoul is a very safe city and you will have noting to worry about.

erik123 Dec 10, 2018 8:28 am

With that little time consider taking a cab. The expense is not much more compared to bus/train with 3 people.

decillion Dec 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Alright. So I take (shuttle, I assume?) to Grand Hyatt Incheon (at the airport, not changing res at this point), then get a cab into Seoul? Will it be hard to get a cab return?

Aventine Dec 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by decillion (Post 30507400)

The hotel shuttle bus. You may have to wait a little (runs every 30 mins) but better than trying to persuade a taxi to drive you there.

I'd second the other posters saying to stay in Seoul for short sightseeing. You will lose a lot of time on the AREX back and forth from downtown Seoul. Westin Chosun is a nice choice or Four Points Myeongdong. Walkable to a lot of sights.