Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Best Business Class Seat for Solo Traveler on A380

Old Nov 26, 18, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Apologies if this should be placed elsewhere or there is a thread already providing something like this (however I could not find one after searching, I saw a few posts but nothing directly relevant). I will be flying ICN <> SYD both ways on the A380 in Dec/Jan (Xmas/NY trip), and was wondering what advice there might be regarding where I should pick my seats?

I prefer not to have to jump over anyone or have them kick me in my sleep (so that typically excludes the A/B and G/H from my preferences), and was wondering of the D/E remaining options, what people view the best.

There look to be suggestions that row 20 has extra legroom, but I presume there is a risk of this row being used for baby bassinets if required, but apart from that are there any opinions one way or the other? I'm currently in rows 15/16 so far enough away from rows 11 and 20 which appear to have bassinets in them - for the front cabin - rows 7-10, are there any strong views one way or another here?
Old Nov 27, 18, 4:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, DL KMwannabe, HH, AA, TG,
On rare occasions, the bar/lounge is can get a bit noisy (extreme front and back Rows).

we generally for something in the middle of the middle. Access to the aisles, into the loungers if we want them but away from the gallery and the labs.We generally hard for something in the middle of the middle. I’ll access
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I've got rows 15 and 16 so that sounds like it is similar to your 'middle of the middle suggestion
Old Dec 3, 18, 7:19 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club, JL Mileage Bank
TYPICALLY, because the A380 has so many seats, biz class is never slam full that you have to crawl over everyone. Again, this all depends on your route, but this is the general consensus I hear from others.
Old Dec 8, 18, 5:59 am

Programs: United 1K, AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
seatguru.com shows the two different versions of business class seating Korean Airlines use for their a380.
Old Jan 18, 19, 8:36 am
siw

Programs: AF-KL FB Plat.
Are the business class seat in the A380 fully flat or slightly angled when put into bed mode? I've only flown on the B777-300ER (2-3-2 seat config.) and the B747-8 (upper deck and very nice seats).
Old Jan 19, 19, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by siw View Post
Are the business class seat in the A380 fully flat or slightly angled when put into bed mode? I've only flown on the B777-300ER (2-3-2 seat config.) and the B747-8 (upper deck and very nice seats).
Fully flat
Old Jan 20, 19, 11:54 pm

16E was more than fine yesterday. I would not overthink this. Only note for me was it was a thing go to the A380 in J after the long flight being on the 747-8 in the Apex Suite in the upper deck row 18 window seat. THAT was one hell of a seat and I am so damn glad my booking held up on the 747-8 even though I made it months and months out.
Old Jan 26, 19, 4:46 am
siw

Does KE block seats from being selected when booking online?

I have just booked KE Business Class LHR-ICN-KIX and NRT-ICN-LHR for end of May / start of June. Both LHR flights are on an A380 (not a B748 unfortunately). During the booking I went to select my seats and nothing forward of row 16 on LHR-ICN can be selected and nothing forward of row 21 on the ICN-LHR can be selected - apart from seat with baby carriers. It's very similar on the ICN-KIX B772 and NRT-ICN A332 flights were all the window pair seats cannot be selected apart from the front bassent holder seats.

Is this usual or does KE open up seats near the flight dates. I would be surprised if these were truely all purchased so far from the flight dates.
Old Jan 26, 19, 7:34 pm

KE does block some seats from being selected.
Maybe they block it for their VIP members.

The seats open up around 3 days or 24 hours before departure I think.
Old Jan 27, 19, 1:40 am
siw

These are the seat selection maps for LHR-ICN and ICN-LHR in my flights at the end of May/start of June. Both A380 upper decks.

Most are seat are blocked. My ticket is I class so discounted business but I never seen seats blocked due to business ticket class on any other airline. My last trip was with CI and VN in discount business and I could pick from any seats. Also I've an up-coming MF discount business ticket and no seats are blocked on any of those flights.

Is this unique to KE? Otherwise, that's a lot of VIPs booking early!

LHR-ICN A380

ICN-LHR A380
Old Jan 30, 19, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
EF is showing rows 8, 9, 12, 14, and 15 as "preferred" seats, so they must be held for elites until check-in or close to. Perhaps full fare J would make them available, but I suspect that given KE's IT ineptitude, it's status based.

You must not fly BA in J if you've never experienced blocked seats based on anything other than full fare J or status. Even with status, there are some BA J seats that you can't get without being top tier.
Old Jan 31, 19, 9:57 am
siw

Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
EF is showing rows 8, 9, 12, 14, and 15 as "preferred" seats, so they must be held for elites until check-in or close to. Perhaps full fare J would make them available, but I suspect that given KE's IT ineptitude, it's status based.

You must not fly BA in J if you've never experienced blocked seats based on anything other than full fare J or status. Even with status, there are some BA J seats that you can't get without being top tier.
By 'elites' you mean only upper tier status holders of KE FFP or elites of any SkyTeam FFP? I have elite plus as a Flying Blue Platinum.

No, I've not flown with BA in J. 99% of my flying is with SkyTeam airlines and I've never had this with CI,VN,GA,KL,AF,AZ,MF or on my previous KE flights (which was a discount business class ticket LHR-ICN-AKL rtn in December 2016).

Last edited by siw; Jan 31, 19 at 12:17 pm
Old Feb 4, 19, 7:53 pm

By 'elites' you mean only upper tier status holders of KE FFP or elites of any SkyTeam FFP? I have elite plus as a Flying Blue Platinum.
I don't know. If you're not able to select the seat and you have your FB number in the booking, then it sounds like it's KE elites only.
Old Feb 4, 19, 7:59 pm

I don't know. If you're not able to select the seat and you have your FB number in the booking, then it sounds like it's KE elites only.