Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Need help: problem with completing purchase of award ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help: problem with completing purchase of award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Exclamation Need help: problem with completing purchase of award ticket

I have award tickets for myself and my wife reserved for SFO-ICN-RGN RT and am trying to complete the purchase. Together we have enough SkyPass miles for the two of us, but we don't have enough individually.

The phone CSR I spoke to said that even though we have a family account, my wife needs to present for the phone call in order to complete the purchase. The CSR added that I can do it without her online. But when I tried it online and reached the point of purchase, I received this message:

Unfortunately, you don't have enough miles to purchase this flight. Please try again after checking needed mileage amount.

Family plan can only be applied when the logged in user is selected as the passenger.

I have no idea what this means - I'm logged in and I'm the passenger. My wife and I have both approved each other as members of the family plan. I know I must be doing something wrong here, but could use some help in completing the purchase.

The purchase deadline almost upon us, so I'm a bit worried. Thanks for any help with this.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Aug 28, 2018 at 6:34 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
First - try Internet Explorer. Most Korean websites work now on Macbook and Chrome, BUT it could be a bug deep in the system they didn't catch.

And you have to check in your account that you're both linked properly as family (can check in my profile)

And I believe that you have to transfer mileage to the other member if there's not enough. It's not automatic swapping. Not 100% on this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Is the spouse not available to speak? OZ is improving but there are still many IT glitches from conflicting requirements.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for the useful replies, folks. Much appreciated.

When I finally got through to Korean again (yet another problem was very long waits to reach a CSR), the new CSR said nothing about requiring my wife to be present, so the ticketing went through without a problem. As a result, I didn't check alternative ways of trying to ticket online, but will keep that in mind in case that kind of problems comes up in the future.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:09 pm

I honestly can't believe how an airline as large as KE can have such a convoluted system for frequent flyer miles usage. I would be willing to bet that a lot of customers just give up trying to use their miles due to the difficulty involved. Since I have so many miles from credit card usage I forced myself to go through their step by step process and now am aware of what they require. But, it should never be this much of a horror show.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by floridastorm
I honestly can't believe how an airline as large as KE can have such a convoluted system for frequent flyer miles usage. I would be willing to bet that a lot of customers just give up trying to use their miles due to the difficulty involved. Since I have so many miles from credit card usage I forced myself to go through their step by step process and now am aware of what they require. But, it should never be this much of a horror show.
Fully agree. After the complications I've described in this thread and some others I won't even bother delving into, I don't see myself accruing or redeeming on the airline any more. Of course, that decision is made easier by the fact that Chase and Korean have ended their relationship, so the temptation to transfer UR points to Korean miles is no longer there. But still, Korean is such a PITA to deal with compared to most other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.