Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

KE International to Delta Domestic Connection, Help needed.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KF, FB, HH, AA

Hello guys,

I am about to book a ticket online with KE. It is my 2nd time that I will be flying with Ke. My question is, which would be a good itinerary to book with a connection to a domestic flight within the US.

1st option is KE ICN to JFK then a 4hour connection to Delta heading to MIA

or

2nd option KE ICN to ATL and a 3 hour 40 minute connection to a Delta Flight to MIA?

The whole trip will be booked into 1 ticket.
Will either be a safe bet for connection times? I am not a US citizen and will be travelling under a B Visa. My worry is that a 4 hour connection in JFK would look like what? Since, I heard that a connection in ATL is much easier compared to one in JFK? And would KE be able to check my luggage through to MIA? or will I have to carry everything back to a Delta Check-in counter and redo the check in procedure?

Any help or advise is appreciated.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:38 am

ATL transfer is far better. With B visa, you won't be able to use kiosk, but 3 hours should be enough and you'll be easily protected since DL has many flights to MIA. Bags will be checked in through MIA but you'll have to claim and re-check for customs. Re-check is very easy - just drop it right after customs without having to go to DL counter. For that, ATL must be easier because you'll be surrounded by transferring passengers who'll re-check with you whereas at JFK, you may miss re-check point because most people around you will just exit the airport and go home/hotel.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
ATL transfer is far better. With B visa, you won't be able to use kiosk, but 3 hours should be enough and you'll be easily protected since DL has many flights to MIA. Bags will be checked in through MIA but you'll have to claim and re-check for customs. Re-check is very easy - just drop it right after customs without having to go to DL counter. For that, ATL must be easier because you'll be surrounded by transferring passengers who'll re-check with you whereas at JFK, you may miss re-check point because most people around you will just exit the airport and go home/hotel.
Thanks I guess, spending 200$ more maybe a good option. I guess.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
While I agree with the comments above, note if on A380 to ATL there is a very long walk on arrival to get to immigration.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP is paying out of pocket, it is not worth $200 for the minimal difference in overall experience. 3:40 at ATL vs 4:00 at JFK is not an issue.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
At JFK, KE has a counter outside baggage claim (on the right if memory serves me well) to recheck your baggage onward.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
If OP is paying out of pocket, it is not worth $200 for the minimal difference in overall experience. 3:40 at ATL vs 4:00 at JFK is not an issue.
OP may have longer flight time in wide body and shorter flight time in narrow body if connecting in ATL. Something to consider.

BTW, Fort Lauderdale FLL could be an alternative to MIA. FLL could be cheaper.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
While I agree with the comments above, note if on A380 to ATL there is a very long walk on arrival to get to immigration.
KE ATL uses a 777 while for JFK its an A380
Old Mar 3, 2018, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by t_cliff
At JFK, KE has a counter outside baggage claim (on the right if memory serves me well) to recheck your baggage onward.
So, will my luggage be check in through MiA? And will i just need to recheck luggage at Jfk? Im confused I need to recheck it at the transfer counter of KE or Delta??
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
In american airports, you have to follow signs for transfer area. The security is different, so you have to collect your checked baggage and then transfer with it...then drop it off again past the transfer area.

You are not leaving the airport, or going to the arrivals area. This is just an extra step “for security” that American airports have.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:10 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Note that if you take the JFK option, KE arrives into Terminal 1, while Delta departs from Terminals 2 and 4.

If going via JFK, the easiest thing to do would be:
  • After clearing passport control upon arrival at Terminal 1, claim your bags at the carousel
  • Exit the baggage claim area (which will put you into the landside arrivals area) -- there will be signage there for the baggage re-check area, find that
  • Then go straight outside to the curb, turn right, and walk along the building
  • Walk to the end of the Terminal 1 building, and then keep walking along the sidewalk a short distance, less than 50 meters or so, to the Terminal 2 building, where you will go inside and go through security
  • If your Delta domestic flight ends up departing from Terminal 4, there is an airside (i.e. after security) bus from Terminal 2 to Terminal 4 -- but the security lines are usually shorter at Terminal 2 so easier to enter at Terminal 2 either way. (There is no Terminal 3.)
You may see signage or receive directions about taking the AirTrain to other terminals. It is also an option, but from Terminal 1 to 2 it is just as easy to walk (especially because the Terminal 2 AirTrain station is not very close to the actual Terminal 2 building).

The connection at ATL would be somewhat simpler than this, just because everything is within the same facility, so no separate security areas, no need to go outside, clearer signage about where you are going next, etc. The Korean flight will also be somewhat more comfortable than the Delta domestic flight, so having a shorter ATL-MIA flight would be more pleasant than a JFK-MIA flight, which is a few hours long.
rwong48 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
KE will switch ICN-ATL from B777-300ER to 747 on June 2nd.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by poohhead80
KE will switch ICN-ATL from B777-300ER to 747 on June 2nd.
Ow, I might not be able to try that, plan is to travel on May 27th.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by jacobus
Ow, I might not be able to try that, plan is to travel on May 27th.
If you are flying business class, it looks like the 777-300 will have the new Prestige class seats with 2-2-2 per row in May. Economy is same seat size.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by jacobus
Hello guys,

I am about to book a ticket online with KE. It is my 2nd time that I will be flying with Ke. My question is, which would be a good itinerary to book with a connection to a domestic flight within the US.

1st option is KE ICN to JFK then a 4hour connection to Delta heading to MIA

or

2nd option KE ICN to ATL and a 3 hour 40 minute connection to a Delta Flight to MIA?

The whole trip will be booked into 1 ticket.
Will either be a safe bet for connection times? I am not a US citizen and will be travelling under a B Visa. My worry is that a 4 hour connection in JFK would look like what? Since, I heard that a connection in ATL is much easier compared to one in JFK? And would KE be able to check my luggage through to MIA? or will I have to carry everything back to a Delta Check-in counter and redo the check in procedure?

Any help or advise is appreciated.
Since you are a foreigner please do yourself a favor and route through Atlanta. I know that other people mean well telling you that routing through JFK is just as easy. Well, I've done both many times and I'm originally from New York. JFK is a nightmare for anyone who is not used to that airport. You could easily get confused and even get lost at JFK. I myself have gotten confused at times when flying in or out of JFK and I'm an American who has been through JFK a few times. Atlanta is one of the most traveler friendly airports in the country. Easy to find your way around. Atlanta Immigration is used to a lot of foreigners arriving. They get you through fairly quickly. After Immigration you will get a baggage cart and pick up your luggage at the carousel. Wheel your luggage through the Green line if you have nothing to declare. Customs will not open your bags. No delay here. As soon as you exit the Customs area you will see a luggage Re-Check counter where Delta will take your luggage. Since you will already have your Delta Boarding Pass you just proceed to the in-transit security, go through security, and proceed to your Delta Gate. I've done the whole thing, arriving from the Far East, within 30 to 45 minutes. Sometimes less depending on time of day and how many planes are arriving with yours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.