Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Anyone booked Sky Team award on KE website?

Old Dec 3, 17, 1:21 am
Original Poster

With how complicated it seems to book a Sky Team award through the traditional avenues, I was hoping to book through the website. I was able to find a route and confirm the award calculation. Then the website tells me I need to have enough miles before proceeding. Before I transfer miles in, I wanted to see if anyone else had had success booking a Sky Team award on the website. I donít want to transfer the miles in only to get an error on the website and be unable to book the award. Any help would be great.
Old Dec 4, 17, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

So I ended up going ahead and booking a SkyTeam award through the KE website. I had been looking for a while into flights from the east coast to Kauai and was running into an issue where the KE website was showing that there was availability, but Expert Flyer was showing that there was no availability. I had read stories of people seeing phantom availability on the KE site and getting and error after transferring the points. I checked with the Air France site and it was showing availability that matched KE, so I went ahead and picked my flights (side note: the ability to book multiple legs in an award ticket was key...it let me put together an itinerary that was much more efficient than searching from departure to destination), I transferred the points, and I clicked to pay. Everything went through easily and I was able to pick my seats on the Delta website. Now I just have to wait 320 days until our trip, but all in all a much easier process than calling into KE to place a hold or anything like that.
Old Dec 5, 17, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by kennedij View Post
So I ended up going ahead and booking a SkyTeam award through the KE website. I had been looking for a while into flights from the east coast to Kauai and was running into an issue where the KE website was showing that there was availability, but Expert Flyer was showing that there was no availability. I had read stories of people seeing phantom availability on the KE site and getting and error after transferring the points. I checked with the Air France site and it was showing availability that matched KE, so I went ahead and picked my flights (side note: the ability to book multiple legs in an award ticket was key...it let me put together an itinerary that was much more efficient than searching from departure to destination), I transferred the points, and I clicked to pay. Everything went through easily and I was able to pick my seats on the Delta website. Now I just have to wait 320 days until our trip, but all in all a much easier process than calling into KE to place a hold or anything like that.
Good stuff... which route did you book exactly? how much did you pay?
Old Dec 5, 17, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justsawaufo View Post
Good stuff... which route did you book exactly? how much did you pay?
I ended up booking BOS--SEA--LIH out and LIH--SEA--MSP--BOS on the trip back. For two round trip tickets it was 50,000 points transferred from UR and $22 in fees.
justsawaufo and AUSINSIGHT like this.
Old Dec 30, 17, 6:28 pm

hey OP, I'm trying to book a DTW-LIH RT ticket on Delta through KA for Q4 of 2018. Every single time I try to hit calculate for my itinerary, I get an error message that says it's not possible to compile. I have an imgur link with the specific error message, but am new to FT (referred by r/churning) and don't have enough posts to allow it.

What am I missing to get this done? What am I overlooking...?
Old Dec 30, 17, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allenpa5 View Post
hey OP, I'm trying to book a DTW-LIH RT ticket on Delta through KA for Q4 of 2018. Every single time I try to hit calculate for my itinerary, I get an error message that says it's not possible to compile. I have an imgur link with the specific error message, but am new to FT (referred by r/churning) and don't have enough posts to allow it.

What am I missing to get this done? What am I overlooking...?

What are the details of your route? As in what are your connecting flights and layovers? KE has some specific routing rules for redemptions and the error usually comes up when you try and calculate cost.
Old Dec 30, 17, 6:45 pm

THanks for the info.

I'm just looking for anything right now for Q4. Ideally, I'll want to book a flight over Christmas 2018 and spend about a week there. I don't have any preference for how I get there, but definitely don't want to have to be en-route for 24-30hours per leg.

It seems like the most straightforward way is DTW-LAX-LIH-SEA-DTW, but any variation would be fine.
Old Dec 30, 17, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

THanks for the info.

I'm just looking for anything right now for Q4. Ideally, I'll want to book a flight over Christmas 2018 and spend about a week there. I don't have any preference for how I get there, but definitely don't want to have to be en-route for 24-30hours per leg.

It seems like the most straightforward way is DTW-LAX-LIH-SEA-DTW, but any variation would be fine.
So are you getting your error before even finding s route or after you find a route and click to calculate cost? I have heard that Delta recently greatly limited their award space to Hawaii (like in the last few weeks) so I know people have had trouble finding routes. I would try searching it as a multi destination and search for each leg rather than just searching DTW to LIH. If I think of it tomorrow Iíll play around with the search.

If if you are looking for Christmas you are probably too early. Korean gets award space something like 330 days in advance so you probably have to wait until January or February to find availability.
Old Dec 30, 17, 6:53 pm

I'm getting the error after I hit the 'calculate' button. I can see the routes and availability on both KA.com and airfrance, but it just won't allow the routing, I guess...
Old Dec 30, 17, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

I'm getting the error after I hit the 'calculate' button. I can see the routes and availability on both KA.com and airfrance, but it just won't allow the routing, I guess...

Can you tell me what the route is that you have chosen before you are getting the error? Also make sure that only one leg has a layover longer than 4 hours throughout your whole trip.
Old Dec 30, 17, 6:58 pm

ahhhhhh, it seems like the 4 hour layover thing might have been an issue. I'm currently trying to re-route using other connecting cities.
Old Dec 30, 17, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

ahhhhhh, it seems like the 4 hour layover thing might have been an issue. I'm currently trying to re-route using other connecting cities.
Anything longer than 4 hours is a stopover and you can only have 1 per award booking. It took me a few times of putting together my itinerary until I found flights that fit within the rules.
Old Dec 30, 17, 7:02 pm

Perfect. THat was very helpful, actually. I was able to string together a few one-ways in the multi-destination search option at KA.com to get something that works!

Calculates out to 25k points + $11.20.

Thanks for the pointers.
Old Dec 30, 17, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Perfect. THat was very helpful, actually. I was able to string together a few one-ways in the multi-destination search option at KA.com to get something that works!

Calculates out to 25k points + $11.20.

Thanks for the pointers.
Great to hear! I found it much easier to build an itinerary city by city in the multi destination search. Glad to hear that there are still good redemptions for Hawaii on KE.

Search this Thread