Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Three Q's about Chase/KE online award bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

1. If I move chase UR to KE, do they transfer instantly like UA, or take a few days to post like SQ?

2. Is it true that I can book a stopover on a 1-way if it's KE metal? For example HKG-ICN, 4 day stop, ICN-JFK and the redemption would count as one award and be 80k in F?

3. Is it possible to book one way with a stopover online? When I search HKG-JFK for example it says nothing in the schedule, but if I search HKG-ICN and ICN-JFK individually, the availability is wide open.

Thanks! I will call in if I have to, but would prefer to book online. One final issue...if I have to change the dates of my flight (but keep the routing), how much is the change fee? Thx!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:24 am

They are instant... well, in my experience it's never instant. But really fast, within 5-10 minutes. Change fee with KE is about $30 I believe, someone might have to correct me.

Not sure about the stopovers
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
99.9999% sure you can book a stopover. My father did it on DL SkyMiles award on KE ATL-ICN-MNL with transfer, and on the way back MNL-ICN five days then ICN-ATL to visit me.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:20 pm

I'm only familiar with the rules for booking on KE metal. It may or may not be different for partner awards. That being said, I've booked a single stopover on a OW award.

According to their website, you are allowed one stopover per direction, so two for a RT. https://www.koreanair.com/content/ko...l#award-ticket
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Recently transferred Chase points - was matter of minutes for them to show up - to book online a one-way KE itinerary with a 2-night stopover in ICN. So yes to all three.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Just another data point for my own questions, just booked.

1. Miles posted within 10-15 minutes

2. I booked a 3 night stopover in ICN on a HKG-ICN-JFK KE F metal itinerary

3. I was able to book this online no problem. Was around $102 in taxes + 80k miles
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
General advice to others - don't worry about the point transfer and just take advantage of the incredible hold policies. As an example, I currently have an award held for SFO-ICN-HKG, booked it just this week, and the hold is until 40 hours before the flight time, so I have until then to transfer and ticket. This is great, because it allows me to look for other last minute options that might open up, without having to lock my UR into KE.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cricketer
I currently have an award held for SFO-ICN-HKG, booked it just this week, and the hold is until 40 hours before the flight time, so I have until then to transfer and ticket. This is great, because it allows me to look for other last minute options that might open up, without having to lock my UR into KE.
Did you ask for a longer than usual hold? I ask because I reserved SFO-BKK last night, and got a 14 day hold, which is what I've seen referenced elsewhere. (Not complaining, I felt this was quite generous and should be plenty sufficient for SPG points to transfer. And the agent was incredibly pleasant and competent . . . one of the best airline call center experiences I've ever had.)

Overall absolutely delighted with this redemption . . . 95K F on exactly the flights I wanted less than two months out. Kind of wishing I could convert my UA miles to KE
Old Nov 20, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Did you ask for a longer than usual hold? I ask because I reserved SFO-BKK last night, and got a 14 day hold, which is what I've seen referenced elsewhere. (Not complaining, I felt this was quite generous and should be plenty sufficient for SPG points to transfer. And the agent was incredibly pleasant and competent . . . one of the best airline call center experiences I've ever had.)

Overall absolutely delighted with this redemption . . . 95K F on exactly the flights I wanted less than two months out. Kind of wishing I could convert my UA miles to KE
Didn't ask for a thing. It amounted to around a 20 day hold when it was granted - the agent just told me 7:30pm Thursday for a Saturday 11:30am flight. I wasn't expecting that and was quite delighted. Agree with you on the whole call center experience - excellent.

Much as I love KE in F, I'm hoping something else opens up as this would be a peak time redemption (120K instead of the usual 80K). I have no meaningful flexibility on dates -- originally had SFO-ORD-TPE-HKG with a BR Hello Kitty experience booked, but work got in the way. I'm poking around in Aeroplan, SQ, UA, and FlyingBlue every day in the hope that something in C or F appears. If not, I'll bite the bullet and enjoy KE!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cricketer
Much as I love KE in F, I'm hoping something else opens up as this would be a peak time redemption (120K instead of the usual 80K). I have no meaningful flexibility on dates -- originally had SFO-ORD-TPE-HKG with a BR Hello Kitty experience booked, but work got in the way. I'm poking around in Aeroplan, SQ, UA, and FlyingBlue every day in the hope that something in C or F appears. If not, I'll bite the bullet and enjoy KE!
Good luck! Not bad as a back-up plan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.