Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Booking, website, and availability questions on KE vs DL metal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat

I’m having some issues with the KE Skypass website and wondering if any of you can help. By way of example for these questions, I was searching ATL-NRT 5/31-6/12.

1. If searching for ATL-NRT as a KE award, I see many KE flights via ICN. But if I change to Skyteam Award for same dates, I see either none or maybe one. I do see DL options though. Ultimately, my award will be a Skyteam one b/c need to add a USA domestic segment to get to ATL, so that’s why I’m playing around with the search engine. And the reason I want KE flights possibly is b/c I need 5x premium seats. If I call in, is it possible for KE to force the KE flight for a Skyteam award?

2. When I successfully find DL flights searching for 1x J, the segments will say “5 seats” or, often, “9 seats,” but when I then change to even 2x J and re-search with same dates, routes, it says none available. Again, possible to override by calling? Or are these ghost seats?

3. When searching Skyteam awards, do peak dates apply? I assume yes, but just checking b/c on the chart for ST it does not list as off/peak but on the KE one it does.

4. Can’t find a single North American DL domestic segment in all my random searching on KE. Find it plenty on other Skyteam sites like AF. And can find DL international like ATL-NRT on KE (but, again, only for 1 seat even when 9 are showing).
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Your problem in #1 is #3 : You can't book KE peak date flights on a SkyTeam award. If you need to book KE peak dates, then you can't include partner flights.

In terms of #2 , there's something weird going on here. delta.com is actually showing five and low level seats in J on ATL-NRT and a number sufficiently large that they aren't warning about it being low (so 9+) on NRT-ATL for your dates. I'd say that if you can get those to ticket, you should jump all over them and deal with domestic flights on a separate ticket.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Your problem in #1 is #3 : You can't book KE peak date flights on a SkyTeam award. If you need to book KE peak dates, then you can't include partner flights.

In terms of #2 , there's something weird going on here. delta.com is actually showing five and low level seats in J on ATL-NRT and a number sufficiently large that they aren't warning about it being low (so 9+) on NRT-ATL for your dates. I'd say that if you can get those to ticket, you should jump all over them and deal with domestic flights on a separate ticket.
That's extremely helpful re the peak dates and when I tested a different date with peak/non peak, your theory held true. But then this:

ATL-ICN-HKG in J 5/5 (off peak)
HKG-ICN-ATL in J 6/12 (off peak)
Priced out at 125k

Can see KE segments as available, but when I switch to Skyteam they disappear. I even tried a mix of peak and off peak. Is this because all the flights are KE?

I've got to wait to pounce on the NRT-ATL flight b/c my dates are actually in July. Just trying to get my routing down. Trying to visit NRT, DPS, and HKG. My outbound will be off peak but my inbound will be peak.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Aug 1, 2017 at 5:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.