Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Can I mix SkyTeam legs with stopovers on a Korean Air award booking?

Old Feb 5, 17, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking to fly from LAX-HKG and then HKG-PEK and then returning on PVG-LAX on one Korean Air award booking on Prestige class (Biz). It wasn't very clear to me on their rules but am I allowed to do something like this on an entire Korean Air award booking?

3/15: LAX-HKG @ Korean Air (Stopover)
3/23: HKG-PEK @ China Southern Air, SkyTeam
4/13: PVG-LAX @ Korean Air

Beijing would be my final destination on my outbound. There would be no stopover on my inbound. I believe the total should be 125k Korean Air miles.
Is this a valid booking? Thanks!
Old Feb 6, 17, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by axsuul1 View Post
I'm looking to fly from LAX-HKG and then HKG-PEK and then returning on PVG-LAX on one Korean Air award booking on Prestige class (Biz). It wasn't very clear to me on their rules but am I allowed to do something like this on an entire Korean Air award booking?

3/15: LAX-HKG @ Korean Air (Stopover)
3/23: HKG-PEK @ China Southern Air, SkyTeam
4/13: PVG-LAX @ Korean Air

Beijing would be my final destination on my outbound. There would be no stopover on my inbound. I believe the total should be 125k Korean Air miles.
Is this a valid booking? Thanks!
You should be able to. KE allows one stopover and one open-jaw in the same country on an international RT. However, you'd need 155k KE miles, though, since it's a partner award. Since KE charges significant YQ for flights into mainland China, you may be better off buying tickets between mainland and HKG separately (YQ to HKG is low).
Old Feb 6, 17, 10:30 am

I remember trying to book a HKG stopover on my award ticket to PVG, but was unsuccessful. KE only allows the extra stopover to be in a different region (except when Seoul is one of the stopovers). I think they consider PVG and HKG to be in the same region.
Old Feb 9, 17, 4:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
So would this be allowed?

JFK-SVO (Open-Jaw)
SVO-CDG (Stop)
CDG-JFK
Old Jul 29, 17, 11:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Advice appreciated on whether this is possible (and how many Skypass points it would cost in J). There's an open jaw in SE Asia and a stopover.

Outbound:
JAX-ATL-ICN-HKG

Inbound
DPS-NRT(stopover)-ATL-JAX
Old Jul 30, 17, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Should be 155K in J. Your open jaw is entirely within Asia 2 for the SkyTeam chart, so that appears to be kosher. I wish you luck in finding trans-oceanic DL award inventory that's available to KE. (Even when available to AF/KL.) I haven't had any luck TATL, but perhaps there's something there TPAC?
Old Jul 30, 17, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
Should be 155K in J. Your open jaw is entirely within Asia 2 for the SkyTeam chart, so that appears to be kosher. I wish you luck in finding trans-oceanic DL award inventory that's available to KE. (Even when available to AF/KL.) I haven't had any luck TATL, but perhaps there's something there TPAC?
Hmmm. the NRT-ATL flights goes north over the pole, no? But anyway, in my searches on KE, I am indeed having trouble finding the NRT-ATL route on KE. I'm wondering if I could route inbound as follows (allowing for KE metal for NRT-ICN-LAX):

DPS-NRT(stopover)-ICN-LAX-MCO

Can't remember if there is a limit to segments and if this routing would automatically eliminate NRT stopover.

So actually, I could do a dummy itinerary for LAX-ICN-HKG and DPS-NRT-ICN-LAX and it priced out at the 155k and $350 charges. What I can't do is add the MC0-LAX segment on either end. I think it tries to route via ATL. Is forced routing MCO-LAX-ICN-HKG something KE could do over phone?

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jul 30, 17 at 12:31 pm
Old Jul 31, 17, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
IIRC, you're limited to two transfers (three segments) in each direction. Thus, that makes a problem on DPS-NRT(stopover)-ICN-LAX-MCO. (Although you could conceivably have your ticket do a stopover at ICN on DPS-ICN-LAX-MCO and just hop back and forth to NRT on a separate ticket.)

If space exists on MCO-LAX, a phone agent should conceivably be able to book MCO-LAX-ICN-HKG.
Old Jul 31, 17, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
IIRC, you're limited to two transfers (three segments) in each direction. Thus, that makes a problem on DPS-NRT(stopover)-ICN-LAX-MCO. (Although you could conceivably have your ticket do a stopover at ICN on DPS-ICN-LAX-MCO and just hop back and forth to NRT on a separate ticket.)

If space exists on MCO-LAX, a phone agent should conceivably be able to book MCO-LAX-ICN-HKG.
Thanks, yeah, I see that now. Remarkably I actually can find NRT-ATL on DL metal on the KE website, so that would fix the problem of so many segments. I'd have DPS-NRT-ATL-MCO or JAX. But one question:

1. Why is there not a single domestic leg ATL-MCO/JAX showing up on KE for weeks and weeks? Can't find ANY domestic leg on various routes and dates. Weird.