Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Korean Air Upgrade Policy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Speaking of Expert Flyer, I've actually seen just once - when I flew DPS-ICN in April - I checked the map as I was arriving at the airport - and they actually showed the last row of biz class as economy and open....so I'm guessing they thought they needed it....but alas, no upgrade and I did see any empty seat.
Interesting. Never saw that with business as economy, but I did see this happen when they allocated 100% of First to business class (on a 773ER, new config), on ZRH route, where F is usually on offer. All first seats were "blocked" though and had to presumably be allocated manually by an agent/manager.

Definitely something they do when a certain class is overbooked, and the higher class is either empty or under-booked.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold; Hertz Pres
I'm flying KE metal, SFO-ICN-MNL as a Skyteam Elite+(DL PM) on an N fare on 1Sept2019. Is there a decent chance of an upgrade or not at all? Is there anything that I can do to make this flight a little more comfortable, trying to pay for an upgrade is extremely expensive. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by cjjones051
I'm flying KE metal, SFO-ICN-MNL as a Skyteam Elite+(DL PM) on an N fare on 1Sept2019. Is there a decent chance of an upgrade or not at all? Is there anything that I can do to make this flight a little more comfortable, trying to pay for an upgrade is extremely expensive. Any tips would be appreciated.
N fare will absolutely probably not be upgraded - that's the dirt cheapest fare they have. Lowest priority. I don't even think you can pre-select seats.

You will be very comfortable in ANY economy seat. Seat pitch is around 34-35 inches. Seats recline far. Headrests have wings. I'm 5'11" (180 cm) and 280 lbs (130 kg) - all beer belly haha. But I manage to be comfortable everytime I fly the long 13-15 hr haul to Atlanta...and sleep 7-8 hrs each way everytime.
cjjones051 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Cathay, JGC
Anybody care to share their upgrade experience? I am thinking of using KE to go to the States from HK and will probably book U class tickets... Just wanted to see what the upgrade chances will be like.

Currently no status, could change to Morning Calm next year.

Seems like status holder + Y, B or M class ticket + overbooking in economy is the best way to get an upgraded.... But wanted to see what the chaces were like with different criteria. There are almost no collective data points for KE upgrades... Even on Korean sites.

Thanks!!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by kijhkijh
Seems like status holder + Y, B or M class ticket + overbooking in economy is the best way to get an upgraded....
This will obviously give you the best chances.

As I said a couple of posts above, my neighbor in A380 business class was U class (but then on that flight economy was WAY overbooked). Chances are probably the best on an A380 because of the size of the business cabin.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:29 am

My guess - to/from the States actually is harder with more business travelers and higher status members (due to long distances flown for work)..... and sadly HKG these days flight loads are down...
kijhkijh likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Korean Air SkyPASS, Delta SkyMiles
Anybody care to share their upgrade experience? I am thinking of using KE to go to the States from HK and will probably book U class tickets... Just wanted to see what the upgrade chances will be like.

Seems like status holder + Y, B or M class ticket + overbooking in economy is the best way to get an upgraded.... But wanted to see what the chaces were like with different criteria. There are almost no collective data points for KE upgrades... Even on Korean sites.

Thanks!!
I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth it to attempt this strategy on a trip to BKK in October. I'm currently Morning Calm, and debating on buying an M class ticket so that I can use my SKYPASS miles to upgrade if no op-up at checkin/gate. Anyone have any experience upgrading with miles at the gate if economy is not oversold? Obviously, I'd rather not have to go that route, but I have some miles due to expire next year that I don't want to go to waste.
kijhkijh likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:50 am

.......and they only upgrade if the flight is absolutely 100% full. One empty seat? Not a chance of any op up whatsoever.

I can attest to this. On a flight from BKK to ICN last year, there were two remaining economy seats available. Agent advised me to stand close to the counter and even let me know when they were down to one. Alas, boarding call came with that one seat still available.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:56 pm

My guess - to/from the States actually is harder with more business travelers and higher status members (due to long distances flown for work)..... and sadly HKG these days flight loads are down...
Good points. There were quite few empty seats in economy class on a recent Korean Air flight (Sunday noon-ish) I took, while I remeber getting upgrade on an overbooked CX flight earlier this year. Just hoping U class tickets are high enough on the list for an upgrade after the Y,B,M tickets for the US flights...

From what I understand tier doesn't really count much when it comes to upgrading in Korean Air. So no-status U class ticket holder trumps Morning calm(as well as MCP, but not sure about MM) Q ticket holder.... Well that's just my guess.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by WM219
I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth it to attempt this strategy on a trip to BKK in October. I'm currently Morning Calm, and debating on buying an M class ticket so that I can use my SKYPASS miles to upgrade if no op-up at checkin/gate. Anyone have any experience upgrading with miles at the gate if economy is not oversold? Obviously, I'd rather not have to go that route, but I have some miles due to expire next year that I don't want to go to waste.
I don't have any experience with this, but my guess is last best chance would be at the check in counter and not the gate. Let us know how that trip goes. Would be nice to know!
Old Aug 30, 2019, 11:45 pm

I don't have any experience with this, but my guess is last best chance would be at the check in counter and not the gate. Let us know how that trip goes. Would be nice to know!
I just always ask. And like I mentioned before - use Expert Flyer to monitor the seat map. They keep it open even during check in, so you can accurately see what's available/how full it will be. I don't trust the map on Expert Flyer until T-24 or even T-3. Nobody does web/early seat selection usually.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:36 am

Good points. There were quite few empty seats in economy class on a recent Korean Air flight (Sunday noon-ish) I took, while I remeber getting upgrade on an overbooked CX flight earlier this year. Just hoping U class tickets are high enough on the list for an upgrade after the Y,B,M tickets for the US flights...

From what I understand tier doesn't really count much when it comes to upgrading in Korean Air. So no-status U class ticket holder trumps Morning calm(as well as MCP, but not sure about MM) Q ticket holder.... Well that's just my guess.
My last 3 routes on KE have been in either U or L with MC status. No upgrades on any of those.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.