Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Upgrade at Check-In using Skypass miles ... Questions?

Old Nov 8, 15, 5:50 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hi All-

I'm quite new to Skypass and have a few Chase ultimate rewards points lying around I wouldn't mind putting to use....

So heres a quick summary, I'm booked in economy going from Atlanta-ICN-Shanghai with a companion (friend). Ideally I would have like to use points to book Business class from the outset, but couldn't as my friend is no relation couldn't book her a ticket.

I was wondering the following:

-If there is availability, would it be possible to upgrade the tickets at check-in using Skypass miles? Even at an outstation such as Atlanta?
-Even on a low fare-class?
-Would they allow my companion (on the same booking) to be upgraded as well?
-Would the upgrade apply all the way through to Shanghai (if there is availability)?
-How many Skypass miles would this require (flying in peak season but don't know if that effects day-of upgrades)?

Sorry for all the questions!! Many thanks in advance
Old Nov 9, 15, 5:31 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Korean Air doesn't do any free or pay with miles upgrade at check in for anything. Only full fare purchase to the next class up.

UNLESS...they are oversold. You can often ask them if the flight is oversold as they will put economy passengers in business seats (with economy food). Status helps, but is not always required. I've done this from GMP-KIX (no status) and ICN-MNL (DL Silver/Sky Team Elite...but my two friends with me had no status).
Old Nov 9, 15, 5:32 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Also, could your friend open her own Skypass account....and then you transfer to her?
Old Nov 9, 15, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Gabrca View Post
I was wondering the following:

-If there is availability, would it be possible to upgrade the tickets at check-in using Skypass miles? Even at an outstation such as Atlanta?
Yes, provided all other criteria are met.
-Even on a low fare-class?
No (90% chance), unless they are oversold and need to move people up anyway.
-Would they allow my companion (on the same booking) to be upgraded as well?
No.
-Would the upgrade apply all the way through to Shanghai (if there is availability)?
Given that the amount in miles is the same, I would imagine so.
-How many Skypass miles would this require (flying in peak season but don't know if that effects day-of upgrades)?
Exactly the same requirement as what you see on the charts. Peak surcharge applies even if done at the airport.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: