Wiki Posts
Search

Using Chase UR Points on Korean

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:44 pm
VE1
Original Poster

Using Chase UR Points on Korean

Long-time reader /First-time poster; I need help with a strategy.

My wife, baby (6 mos) & I want to fly from LAX to GRU (8/31/15) on Korean using our Chase UR points. We both have ~70k points each on separate accounts.

Would you advise:
A) Redeeming each ticket separately through the Chase UR website
B) Transferring all points (~140k) to Skypass and redeem through Korean website

Our biggest concern is ending up on the same flight and making sure the baby gets a bassinet. Another issue is that the baby's passport is in process and should arrive in 4-5 weeks. The Korean website makes me think they only offer a limited number of award tickets per flight.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
Not sure about the option A price wise.
For Option B, you can check whether there is award space, book the award ticket without paying for them just yet. Transfer the UR points after booking is done. Only transfer the points after your award booking for all is confirmed.

KE has a rather high tax and surcharge though.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
It is very late in the game to be trying to redeem for flights at the end of August. There are two seats in economy available as awards on KE61 for your date. The taxes and surcharges are $248.40 for the two of you. (Plus 60K miles, 30K per person.) The safest option, as suggested by t_cliff is to put the seats you want on hold, transfer your UR points, and then ticket. I think you still need to call KE to put something on hold. There are not two award seats in prestige or first on 31 August.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 am
VE1
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks for clearing this up. I was unsure whether the surcharges through the Skypass portal were normal. So,

If I book through Korean, the cost is $594 + 120k miles
If I book through Chase UR, it's ~160K miles, no out of pocket $$

Question: If I book through Chase UR, am I buying buying "award" seats or "regular" seats? If they're regular seats, there should be more available, right?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:38 pm

You should set up family pooling with Korean Air if you have not done so already.

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean by booking through Chase. When I have searched, redeeming Chase UR points directly through Chase for travel has always been incredibly expensive relative to transferring the UR points and then redeeming them.

For example, I flew on Korean Air to Seoul in March. I needed 125,000 Korean Air miles for a Prestige class seat, or I could have redeemed >300,000 UR points by booking directly through Chase. So in other words, since the UR points transfer at 1:1 to Korean air, I could have spent 125,000 UR points or 300,000 UR points.

You will pay fuel surcharges and taxes by transferring the UR points to Korean Air and redeeming them as Korean Air miles, but even so, the difference is still so great that it makes no sense to book through Chase.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
The baby doesnt require a ticket correct? The reason i ask is that a photocopy of passport or id of passenger is required to book the ticket.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:28 am
VE1
Original Poster

Closure:
I went against everybody's advice and booked the flight for the 3 of us through Chase UR. Total cost: $233+146K miles. Transferring to Skypass would have cost $630+120k miles. We still get miles on Skypass for the trip. To me the $397 I did not spend is worth more than the 26K miles... maybe I'm totally missing something.

I had to book Baby & me separately from my wife as our miles were on separate cards and it was a hassle to pool the miles. Then I called Korean and confirmed adjacent seats next to a bassinet, so we should be set.

DrGiggles: The baby does need a reservation and cost $133 (no miles allowed to be used). However, they did not ask for a passport/ID to book the ticket.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by VE1
Closure:
I went against everybody's advice and booked the flight for the 3 of us through Chase UR. Total cost: $233+146K miles. Transferring to Skypass would have cost $630+120k miles.
I don't understand why the dollar cost would be so much more to redeem the KE miles. I thought that it would be the same amount either way to cover taxes and fees. I'll be sure to compare the cost of using UR points vs transferring to an airline or hotel the next time I am going to book something.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
Originally Posted by VE1
Closure:
I went against everybody's advice and booked the flight for the 3 of us through Chase UR. Total cost: $233+146K miles. Transferring to Skypass would have cost $630+120k miles. We still get miles on Skypass for the trip. To me the $397 I did not spend is worth more than the 26K miles... maybe I'm totally missing something.

I had to book Baby & me separately from my wife as our miles were on separate cards and it was a hassle to pool the miles. Then I called Korean and confirmed adjacent seats next to a bassinet, so we should be set.

DrGiggles: The baby does need a reservation and cost $133 (no miles allowed to be used). However, they did not ask for a passport/ID to book the ticket.
Interesting. Did you book prestige or economy? I am interested in how the breakdown of the miles used. This is an option very worthy of consideration as it also earns miles. That $397 difference will be less than the 26K miles if you factor in the miles to be earned on this trip. Please share details if you do not mind.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I am a bit late to this post and wonder how the trip went.

Apparently, he used his points to actually buy a ticket. In this case, Chase is a travel agent and they just convert the points to money. So, he is not getting an award ticket. Based on a few trips I looked at in the past, doing this usually does not make much difference on coach. But, when you get to Biz or First, it adds up in a hurry.

I wonder if he just looked at buying the ticket direct for KE and paying all cash?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.