747-8i info?

Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
So torn on this. Love the fuselage curve that's apparent in Row 1, plus the reduced foot traffic since an FA will only appear to assist your Row. Very reluctant to embrace Row 3, though added room would be nice.

A high grade problem to have, for sure.

Jamie
There are only 6 suites in the nose. If in row 3 then only traffic for 2-3 other seats will go past your suite. I.e. not really noticeable.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 11:25 am

Is it possible to use the 747-8i in F while heading from ICN to LAX?
Something like PEK>ICN>SFO>LAX perhaps? I'm guessing this is not possible.
Really wanted to try the new 747-8i.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:32 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
Is it possible to use the 747-8i in F while heading from ICN to LAX?
Something like PEK>ICN>SFO>LAX perhaps? I'm guessing this is not possible.
Really wanted to try the new 747-8i.
of course, but the fare (paid or miles) may be higher
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
of course, but the fare (paid or miles) may be higher
Since KE doesn't fly SFO-LAX, it would require including DL (or AS, if they fly the route) in the award, which then makes the award price at round-trip even if only booked one way. I'd just redeem PEK-ICN-SFO and buy a cheap flight to LAX. Well, actually I wouldn't, given KE's penchant for changing aircraft types. Who knows what it would actually be by the time the trip comes.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Since KE doesn't fly SFO-LAX, it would require including DL (or AS, if they fly the route) in the award, which then makes the award price at round-trip even if only booked one way. I'd just redeem PEK-ICN-SFO and buy a cheap flight to LAX. Well, actually I wouldn't, given KE's penchant for changing aircraft types. Who knows what it would actually be by the time the trip comes.
true.
yeah i guess it's not worth it.

it's too bad they're not doing ICN-LAX with the new bird.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
So last week I had the pleasure of flying ICN-JFK on KE's A380 in F, and then SFO-ICN on the 747-8 also in F... I must say that while there is more space and privacy on the 747... I much prefer the overall product on the A380..... There is simply a lot more to do on the plane on these long flights if you cannot sleep... The A380 has multiple lounges and bar areas to hang out, while the 747 doesn't have that much at all besides your own personal area... If they updated the A380 kosmo suits to the 2.0 version, it would be ideal...
Old May 7, 2016, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by tfung
So last week I had the pleasure of flying ICN-JFK on KE's A380 in F, and then SFO-ICN on the 747-8 also in F... I must say that while there is more space and privacy on the 747... I much prefer the overall product on the A380..... There is simply a lot more to do on the plane on these long flights if you cannot sleep... The A380 has multiple lounges and bar areas to hang out, while the 747 doesn't have that much at all besides your own personal area... If they updated the A380 kosmo suits to the 2.0 version, it would be ideal...
Looking to book KE F for JFK-ICN, was wondering about this exact question. Anyone else have input or experience on the 380 vs the 747-8?
Old May 8, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by TravelingAssociate
Looking to book KE F for JFK-ICN, was wondering about this exact question. Anyone else have input or experience on the 380 vs the 747-8?
I flew both these planes JFK-ICN last month. The F product on the 747-800 is far superior in my view -- more comfortable, more space and more exclusive. The advantage of the A380 is the bar and seating areas upstairs, which is nothing special, but it gives you a valid excuse to walk upstairs and around the plane several times back and forth if you want since the bar is all the way in the back of the plane in the upstairs J cabin. Although I never had a drink at the martini bar so can't say how they were, my young daughter liked sitting there and also the trips back and forth.

I'd say the food and service is the same on the A380 and 747-800
Old May 14, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by adlibitum
Travelling with wife SFO-ICN next year, looking forward to the 747-8i but from the few pictures available it looks to me like the first row in F have narrower seats?
The trip report from earlier this thread shows seats in row 2 with a closet next to the seat and the sliding doors on the other side of the closet, but it seems that row one does not have such a closet, just the sliding door which maybe makes the seat narrower?(Maybe the two closets in the nose are for row 1?)

We have enjoyed CX F, OZ F and even UA F in row one of the 747, but now wondering if maybe row 2 is better for KE in terms of space.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks
Just flew ICNJFK. Assigned 1A. But I found that particular suite to be too claustrophobic, so I moved to 3A. With the door closed, foot traffic isn't perceptible, and the galley was quiet. I like that the seats have one-touch positioning (instead of having to hold your finger on the button as the seat moves into position). Suite was highly functional, it was just a tad difficult to turn around to access the storage slots which are basically behind you.

You might enjoy 1A/1K if traveling together. Otherwise, sit further back.

Jamie
Old May 14, 2016, 11:45 am

Traveling as a couple, we enjoyed 1A/1K.
Old May 18, 2016, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Just flew ICNJFK. Assigned 1A. But I found that particular suite to be too claustrophobic, so I moved to 3A. With the door closed, foot traffic isn't perceptible, and the galley was quiet. I like that the seats have one-touch positioning (instead of having to hold your finger on the button as the seat moves into position). Suite was highly functional, it was just a tad difficult to turn around to access the storage slots which are basically behind you.

You might enjoy 1A/1K if traveling together. Otherwise, sit further back.

Jamie
thanks!
Old Jun 4, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I flew on an older 747 UD in business class last year on KE. Similar to most other airline 747 UD, there is not enough space for roll-a-board suitcases near your seat, so I left my suitcase in the closet in the back of the UD.

I will be flying the 747-8 UD in the near future. Is it the same situation with not enough space for a regular roll-a-board suitcase storage by the UD seats?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Roka
Traveling as a couple, we enjoyed 1A/1K.
Same... just took the ICN-JFK in 1A &1K and we loved it. I can see how it wouldn't be ideal as a single pax.

The Kosmos 2.0 is a real winner of a suite.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by bpe
I'm flying SFO-ICN in 2 weeks or so in Y and managed to get seat 50A for both the outbound and return, which is the window right behind the exit row with no seat in front of it according to the seat map. Is Y any different on the 747-8i than the 777 or other new KE aircraft?

As an aside, the first thing I thought of when I saw the pictures of the J and F seats is the seats on BART (the subway around the SF bay area), along with all the unpleasant things that have been on them.
Probably a little late, but I'm considering grabbing that seat as well. What did you think about it?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:16 pm

I am fuming .. I had booked ORD-ICN on the 747-8i, and I just noticed KE downgraded the route to a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.