FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Korean Air | SkyPass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korean-air-skypass-621/)
-   -   Using Skypass Miles on Delta (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korean-air-skypass/1657026-using-skypass-miles-delta.html)

floridastorm Feb 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Using Skypass Miles on Delta

Since this is a KAL Skypass forum, does anyone know the procedure for using mileage to fly on Delta or any of the other Skyteam members? When you request that KAL allow you to use mileage on Delta does KAL have to make the booking for you or do they just notify Delta that you are going to be using Skypass mileage on Delta and then you can make your own booking with Delta?

Richard1148 Feb 22, 2015 11:32 am

KAL will need to make the booking if, and this is a big if, they can find available award flights on DL. Good luck.

floridastorm Feb 22, 2015 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148 (Post 24395816)
KAL will need to make the booking if, and this is a big if, they can find available award flights on DL. Good luck.

Now I wish I had never built up frequent flyer miles with KAL. Seems as though they don't want you to use them. We'll see.

Richard1148 Feb 23, 2015 6:34 pm

It is DL that makes it difficult to find DL award flights, not KAL. If you use Skypass miles for a flight on KAL, it will be much easier to find available flights.

floridastorm Feb 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148 (Post 24403589)
It is DL that makes it difficult to find DL award flights, not KAL. If you use Skypass miles for a flight on KAL, it will be much easier to find available flights.

Unfortunately KAL is not flying where I need to go. Only their Skyteam members like Delta, KLM, and Alitalia. Could even use the Skypass mileage on Emerites. However, my understanding that is like pulling teeth if not impossible.

floridastorm Feb 26, 2015 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Richard1148 (Post 24403589)

My understanding is that you have to call KAL customer service to use Skypass miles on another Syteam member airline. What information do you give to them? Of course the other airline you want to fly on. But, do you have to give them an exact date and flight number. Are you able to tell them that you want to let's say fly out of Amsterdam one way to New York via Delta on May 15, 2015 flight number xxxxx? Are you able to give them a range of days around May 15th as acceptable since Delta flies every day from Amsterdam to New York and maybe twice a day?

Richard1148 Feb 26, 2015 1:15 pm

They can do it either by specific flights or check a range of days. If you can find a level 1 flight on DL's website, then ask for that first before having them search. DL no longer posts their award chart, however, so you will need to check it somewhere else like here: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/61118

floridastorm Feb 26, 2015 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Richard1148 (Post 24420520)
They can do it either by specific flights or check a range of days. If you can find a level 1 flight on DL's website, then ask for that first before having them search. DL no longer posts their award chart, however, so you will need to check it somewhere else like here: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/61118

Excellent. Plus the charts are great. I always check the Delta website for specific flights and then look at the Skymiles required. Don't know how Korean Skypass miles compare with Skymiles. If the Delta site says 30,000 miles one way from Europe to the US I wonder if that would be 30,000 KAL Skypass miles also? I think Delta told me when I called them that it was one for one with Korean.

haslipe Feb 26, 2015 5:33 pm

Hawaii Tickets

We are trying to get the 25k tickets to Kona Hawaii. I found 45k roundtrip flights from my airport (EUG) available on the Delta, but the first couple of legs are flown by Horizon / Alaska Air. So that means its a no go correct? The flights would have to be all on Delta planes and at the 45k level to qualify right?

Richard1148 Feb 26, 2015 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by floridastorm (Post 24420900)
If the Delta site says 30,000 miles one way from Europe to the US I wonder if that would be 30,000 KAL Skypass miles also?

I think KAL requires round trip for DL flights, but it is less miles than DL charges for the same R/T. You can check the miles KAL requires on their website.

Richard1148 Feb 26, 2015 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by haslipe (Post 24421879)
The flights would have to be all on Delta planes and at the 45k level to qualify right?

Correct, and it is unlikely that you will be able to get a DL flight to KOA. I gave up and redeemed for flights on Alaska. It takes a few more miles (30k coach/60k FC), but it is more bookable.

haslipe Mar 1, 2015 9:07 pm

Update - Looking good for Kona

Just thought I would put an update here. I used Delta's site and searched for a roundtrip flight from PDX to KOA. After going to the advanced options I was able to tell the site to only give me Delta flights for the results. I found 2 options that would work for us and were showing 45k. I took both the dates down along with flight numbers and called into Korean Air customer service. They took down my info (dates, airports, number of people, and if we were flexible on our dates) and had someone call me back. I got a call back about 1-2 hours later and they said they were able book a saver award for me. I had to create a Skypass account for each of my family members - so you may want to do that ahead of time for anyone you want going with you. They asked me to transfer 25k points into each account, and they had me print and fill out a sheet for the rewards redemption.

At this point I found out that Chase will only allow transfer of points to my and my spouses account, and not to our children. So I had to call back and they had me fill out another form to link all the family members together. This required sending off copies of passports, birth certificates, and marriage license. Good thing we have passports for our children. Not sure what you would have to do if you didn't, because they did want photo id (even though they will never see my children). So we transferred the points over to mine and my wife's Skypass accounts and sent off all the paperwork. Hopefully on Monday we will hear back that everything is okay.

In the future I would love to figure out all the tricks to get a free one way flight with the open jaw or whatever its called, since I do believe they allow stop overs. Although given the routes that Delta flies from Hawaii, I don't think that PDX is a good option for that trick. Maybe for flights to and from Asia.

cubachao Mar 3, 2015 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by haslipe (Post 24437759)
Just thought I would put an update here. I used Delta's site and searched for a roundtrip flight from PDX to KOA. After going to the advanced options I was able to tell the site to only give me Delta flights for the results. I found 2 options that would work for us and were showing 45k. I took both the dates down along with flight numbers and called into Korean Air customer service. They took down my info (dates, airports, number of people, and if we were flexible on our dates) and had someone call me back. I got a call back about 1-2 hours later and they said they were able book a saver award for me. I had to create a Skypass account for each of my family members - so you may want to do that ahead of time for anyone you want going with you. They asked me to transfer 25k points into each account, and they had me print and fill out a sheet for the rewards redemption.

At this point I found out that Chase will only allow transfer of points to my and my spouses account, and not to our children. So I had to call back and they had me fill out another form to link all the family members together. This required sending off copies of passports, birth certificates, and marriage license. Good thing we have passports for our children. Not sure what you would have to do if you didn't, because they did want photo id (even though they will never see my children). So we transferred the points over to mine and my wife's Skypass accounts and sent off all the paperwork. Hopefully on Monday we will hear back that everything is okay.

In the future I would love to figure out all the tricks to get a free one way flight with the open jaw or whatever its called, since I do believe they allow stop overs. Although given the routes that Delta flies from Hawaii, I don't think that PDX is a good option for that trick. Maybe for flights to and from Asia.

Thank you for your update. I am looking to boom a trip to Hawaii with KE miles as we'll. we have two people, each account need 25k miles? Not the person who book the trip bank the miles? This just not make sense to me.

haslipe Mar 4, 2015 12:22 am

Originally Posted by cubachao (Post 24450919)
Thank you for your update. I am looking to boom a trip to Hawaii with KE miles as we'll. we have two people, each account need 25k miles? Not the person who book the trip bank the miles? This just not make sense to me.

I think the first customer service rep wanted to skip the step of linking all my family members together. If we each would have had 25k in our accounts, they may not have needed any proof that we were related. But if you are booking for yourself and your family members you just have to fill out an extra form to link everyone together. Once you do that, you can share miles.

If you are transferring in miles from Chase or somewhere else, please don't do that step until you call and talk to customer service and make sure the flights you want are available. If they do find flights that qualify, they will hold it for you while you transfer the miles and fill out the paperwork.

cubachao Mar 4, 2015 8:44 am

Originally Posted by haslipe (Post 24450968)
I think the first customer service rep wanted to skip the step of linking all my family members together. If we each would have had 25k in our accounts, they may not have needed any proof that we were related. But if you are booking for yourself and your family members you just have to fill out an extra form to link everyone together. Once you do that, you can share miles.

If you are transferring in miles from Chase or somewhere else, please don't do that step until you call and talk to customer service and make sure the flights you want are available. If they do find flights that qualify, they will hold it for you while you transfer the miles and fill out the paperwork.

Thank you! I have been reading a lot, it's def pain in the ..., but lower miles, who cares!