Search

Korean Airlines J-class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, NZ Airpoints
Korean Airlines J-class

Hi Flyertalkers,

I am about to book flights from Amsterdam to Auckland but I am reading mixed reviews about their business class. Can anyone give me some more info? There aren't many trip reports around either. The routing will be AMS-ICN-AKL vv. AMS-ICN will be in a 330-200 and ICN-AKL in a 747-400. Same on the way back. Flights will take place in december around christmas.

1. Are they upgrading the whole fleet to 180 degrees lie flat seats or do they still use the angled seats?

2..What about their lounge facilities?

This particular flight has a stopover of 20hrs in Seoul on the way back. So any hotel recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Regards
Old Oct 23, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: DL Platinum
The 332 has full flat seats that are great when traveling with a companion. The 747 still has angle flat seats that are not nearly as nice. The lounge in ICN is very nice as well.

With 20 hours, I would go to Seoul if I were you. It is easy to find a bus going to most locations. There are bus ticket desks right outside baggage claim/customs.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the quick reply! It is an overnight stop on the way back so I will be looking for a hotel.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Korean Air will provide a stopover hotel if your whole itinerary is on one reservation. You should contact call center about it and let them know. Oh, and the stopover, logically, has to be overnight. From what others have said, it's usually the Hyatt hotel next to the airport.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:16 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Continental1
Thank you for the quick reply! It is an overnight stop on the way back so I will be looking for a hotel.
If you want a shorter transit on the way back you could switch ICN-AMS to the KL flight (KE codeshares this). It departs ICN in the middle of the night (instead of next day for the KE flight).

I notice KE switches aircraft around a bit on the AKL route depending on demand. My upcoming 747 flights have been switched to 772 and 77W.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I have booked the flights and KE provides a stopover (they did not say which hotel). A few weeks after I've booked te tickets I got an email with an aircraft change. For the legs between ICN-AKL they have switched from a 747 Sleeper to a 747 Passenger. Anyone has an idea if these are the same business class seats? The 747 Passenger has 2 seats less (stated in the email). Another question, what lounge do they use in AKL?

Last edited by Continental1; Nov 16, 2014 at 4:41 am
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm +, AA, WN, OZ, EK
Your original plane is http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Kor...ng_747-400.php , with 333 seats, while your new plane is http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Kor..._747-400_B.php , with 335 seats. Not a big difference in J, but in F the Passenger has the older version, while in Sleeper F has the newest Kosmos suites. J class is still the same - 170 degree angled lie flat - not bad for a product thats been in service for so long!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
OP, thanks for posting this. I was thrilled to see this post as I was JUST about to pose the same question. So I'm traveling IAD-ICN-PEK on KE. The equipment is 777-300ER and 777-200 and the booking says the long portions (to/from IAD) are Kosmo Suites in J. Can anyone tell me about the service and the product? What I've heard mixed reviews about are the comfort of the bed (and if it's TRULY flat)? as well that they keep the cabins REALLY warm on the aircraft. If anyone can shed some light on either of these, that would be great, please? I'm most concerned about the warm cabin b/c I get physically ill when it's too warm for me. I keep my temp at home on a very moderate setting but the seat comfort in bed mode is important too...... Thank you.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:09 pm

Kosmo suites would be in F class and the beds are 180 flat.

I dont think the cabin is too warm but that varies with each person.

U can also look up various trip reports regarding Kosmo suites to get a better idea of the service and seats.
My blog also has a short review of Kosmo suites on the 777 and 380.

Originally Posted by soxfanndc
OP, thanks for posting this. I was thrilled to see this post as I was JUST about to pose the same question. So I'm traveling IAD-ICN-PEK on KE. The equipment is 777-300ER and 777-200 and the booking says the long portions (to/from IAD) are Kosmo Suites in J. Can anyone tell me about the service and the product? What I've heard mixed reviews about are the comfort of the bed (and if it's TRULY flat)? as well that they keep the cabins REALLY warm on the aircraft. If anyone can shed some light on either of these, that would be great, please? I'm most concerned about the warm cabin b/c I get physically ill when it's too warm for me. I keep my temp at home on a very moderate setting but the seat comfort in bed mode is important too...... Thank you.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm +, AA, WN, OZ, EK
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
Like he said, Kosmos suites are 180 completely flat, and it would be in F. They make your bed for you and its pretty comfortable - the only downside is that the pillows they give you are pretty small, but just ask for an extra and they will provide it to you gladly.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:12 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
PRO TIP: If you're hot, it's Korean Air. JUST TELL THEM. They will give you ice water and go turn "down?" up? the air for you to keep you comfortable...even in Economy. And they'll do it with an apology and a smile.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Korean Air will provide a stopover hotel if your whole itinerary is on one reservation. You should contact call center about it and let them know. Oh, and the stopover, logically, has to be overnight. From what others have said, it's usually the Hyatt hotel next to the airport.
I will be flying KE from KTM-ICN, staying overnight, and then ICN-JFK. The tickets are in J, obtained using skymiles. Will KE provide a hotel for the overnight, even though the trip is on a miles ticket rather than revenue? Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Originally Posted by cnc2002
I will be flying KE from KTM-ICN, staying overnight, and then ICN-JFK. The tickets are in J, obtained using skymiles. Will KE provide a hotel for the overnight, even though the trip is on a miles ticket rather than revenue? Thanks.
No, in case of redemption bookings the free hotel is not provided.

Another thing to keep eye on is that sometimes they also use 3 class aircrafts in 2 class mode, thus some lucky ones can enjoy F seats with C service. Usually those seats are allocated in the airport, so better to there sooner than later. Also E+ status helps.

Just one remark - I like KE a lot, but their weakest link is the headphones in C, if you have your own nice noise-cancelling ones, better bring those with you.

Also don't forget to ask for the water spray to keep your face hydrated during the flight.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Not always but more often than not given they own the hotel.

For me 20 hours is definitely worth going into the city centre. Although the Hyatt is a nice option, even if there's not to much around per se.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:12 pm

On the 777 I flew first-class is just the first row, biz is behind (and looks pretty similar).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.