Wiki Posts
Search

KE To Be Grounded?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage LG, MP, BAEC, UR
KE To Be Grounded?

I just read this article on ABC news that claims that Korean Air may get slapped with a 21 day suspension of service as a government penalty due to some KE employees lying to investigators about the whole "nut" incident.

I'm due to travel in First with KE on 12/26 and returning on 1/9. Wondering if I'm in any danger of losing my flights and if that is the case, what my options will be in terms of being booked in First on another carrier such as OZ, CX, JL, TG or SQ.

This whole nut thing has taken on an ugly life of it's own. Ugh.

Thoughts anyone?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:17 am

So in response to a hysterical tantrum and overreaction that impacted customers, the plan is to have another, government-initiated, hysterical tantrum and overreaction that will impact customers even more? Wow.

This would only be a punishment to the airline if it came with actual protections for the passengers -- guaranteed rebooking onto *any* airline that has a flight close in time to the original, at the passenger's sole choice to vary, in any class that might be available, including any fees/charges to get seats together for families etc.

Just letting them fall back on the standard "oh, we'll rebook you if and when we can. Your ticket doesn't guarantee you'll actually travel anytime near when you want" is just punishing the passengers. Make them fire the crazy lady (for real, not just from that position) and move on...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage LG, MP, BAEC, UR
Originally Posted by jmastron
So in response to a hysterical tantrum and overreaction that impacted customers, the plan is to have another, government-initiated, hysterical tantrum and overreaction that will impact customers even more? Wow.

This would only be a punishment to the airline if it came with actual protections for the passengers -- guaranteed rebooking onto *any* airline that has a flight close in time to the original, at the passenger's sole choice to vary, in any class that might be available, including any fees/charges to get seats together for families etc.

Just letting them fall back on the standard "oh, we'll rebook you if and when we can. Your ticket doesn't guarantee you'll actually travel anytime near when you want" is just punishing the passengers. Make them fire the crazy lady (for real, not just from that position) and move on...
Couldn't agree with you more!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:19 pm

I'm slated to fly F end of January too, and that's after wrestling with the monstrosity that is korean air website and call centers, so I really don't want to have to rebook if I could help it.

Thing is, I only redeemed ICN-JFK, and bought JFK-BOS on AA on my own. So even if they rebooked me to a comparable airline, if the timing doesn't work, I might have to buy another ticket JFK-BOS
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
Have a look at the other thread discussing it guys. The authorities here are still investigating, so nobody knows at this stage. The reports are based on what penalties are available under Korean law (assuming it's been broken, which seems to have happened) and historical precedent (check the Asiana board for a pending 45-day ban on ICN-SFO currently under appeal following their crash).

If a ban is imposed, normally the airline can choose when they take it (this is the option the gov't have given OZ), so it's not effective immediately.

As for whether such a ban is appropriate or not, in two minds about it. It definitely sends a strong message to the airlines! But agree, can imagine the uncertainty and frustration it would cause passengers!

But that's the law in these parts, so it is what it is...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
The article also says the airline could get a $1.4 million fine, so perhaps there will be no ban.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:21 pm

KE might be grounded for JFK-ICN but only for 1 month, top. And KE will do it on low-season, so definitely not on January. OZ is preparing its SFO suspension on March-April timeframe before peak season begins.

What you guys need to worry is that due to this incident, people will avoid KE for a while until they forget, I would say up to 3-6 month timeframe. Then KE may have to reduce flights due to lower booking.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:33 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
I don't really understand this suspend operations and bring customer down with you theory.

What the authorities can consider should be a stiff penalty equating to shutting down 1 month service of a particular route. In that way, KE suffers huge financial impact w/o short changing customers and screwing up their routing.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by LuisHK
I don't really understand this suspend operations and bring customer down with you theory.

What the authorities can consider should be a stiff penalty equating to shutting down 1 month service of a particular route. In that way, KE suffers huge financial impact w/o short changing customers and screwing up their routing.
Screwing passengers and then losing customers is such a powerful penalty that any company would be afraid of. It cannot measured into the money.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:06 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Screwing passengers and then losing customers is such a powerful penalty that any company would be afraid of. It cannot measured into the money.
I know. However is this the best practice? As a traveller, I wouldn't want any sort of delay - that keeps me away from Korean Airlines altogether as a result.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:34 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I just think the best part is that there is evidence tampering, talks of arrest and raids at KE offices and Heather Cho's home. And that all my gay Korean friends are like "woah, Stewart the purser is gay." Oh boys, duh. And this was a (gay) ballet dancer that was shocked. Love you, Korea.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
I just think the best part is that there is evidence tampering, talks of arrest and raids at KE offices and Heather Cho's home. And that all my gay Korean friends are like "woah, Stewart the purser is gay." Oh boys, duh. And this was a (gay) ballet dancer that was shocked. Love you, Korea.
Whether they are true or not, I believe those negative rumors/facts about the purser are what KE IT people are spreading, for distraction. KE has a long history of controlling public opinions by leaving massive replies to online articles.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Well his gayness isn't a rumor. It's more of, oh look, our gay friend is in the news.

Also, apparently Heather Cho was wearing a 10,000$ scarf and other super high end stuff for her apology. Oh Korean internets. What does Ilbe say?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Oh Korean internets. What does Ilbe say?
How do you know Ilbe?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by LuisHK
I know. However is this the best practice? As a traveller, I wouldn't want any sort of delay - that keeps me away from Korean Airlines altogether as a result.
Yeah, just the rumor and uncertainly is already punishing KE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.