Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight special meal requests

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Inflight special meal requests

I have put in a request for a special meal at the time of booking my ticket. If I have a change of mind during the flight can I opt for one of the regular meals or am I stuck with the special meal request ?
I am flying KoreanAir economy.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would probably depend on whether they have extra meals or not. So I don't know if it can predicted with 100% accuracy.

And even if you can, you might not have your choice of regular meals by that point (ie, only one of the regular meals might be available as an extra, even if there was a choice of regular meals originally announced).

They also might make you wait until everyone else has chosen their meal before they would let you choose a different one, since why should you who ordered a special meal get priority over anyone else for a regular meal?

Why would you change your mind only after you get on the flight? I'm not familiar with Korean Air specifically, but with most airlines you can make or change the special meal request up to 24 hours (maybe a bit more in some cases?) before the flight.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:09 am

I think OP is thinking he might realize in-flight that one of the regular meals is actually better, and then request a switch.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by lazyzee
I have put in a request for a special meal at the time of booking my ticket. If I have a change of mind during the flight can I opt for one of the regular meals or am I stuck with the special meal request ?
I am flying KoreanAir economy.
Since the subject of your post pertains specifically to KE, I've moved the thread to our Korean Air forum where it will likely receive more knowledgeable attention.

FlyerTalkers replying to this query are asked to please note that this post originated at the flame-free Information Desk.

Thank you, and best of luck to the poster!

jackal
~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
What flight are you taking? The regular meal options are all kind of the same for all regions: bibimbap (mixed veg with rice), a noodle version of the same dish (bibimmyeon), bulgogi beef with rice and veg, and Chinese noodles with chicken or fish. Oh, and pasta.

For snacks, it's ramyeon, kimbap triangles and/or shrimp chips.

On red eyes from SE Asia, there's usually a rice porridge option. I'm not sure what the breakfast is. My friend said she had an omelet once.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:11 am
Original Poster

I am flying Bombay to Seoul and onto Los Angeles. This involves three meals over the 2 segments. I would be willing to give the popular korean bibimbap a try but having it thrice is a bit daunting. Would there be any options of a western meal on the Seoul - LA route ?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Absolutely. Presumably pasta. That being said, the bulgogi option isn't that wild. It's really just beef in a thick, brown sauce with rice, peas, mushrooms and onions.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks !
I guess I'll take it as it comes. Not worth getting all worked up about it - after all it's only an airplane meal
Old Jun 10, 2014, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Update : KoreanAir allowed me to cancel the special meal request at the time of check-in ^
And the meals were exactly as described by mikesaidyes
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
Looking at my travel notes from various KE transpacific flights I see "chicken & rice," "beef & mashed potatoes," "chicken & pasta," "beef & pasta," etc. Often there is also some seafood option but I've never tried it, and I'm the rare non-fan of the bibimap. All are edible but definitely nothing to write home about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.