Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Does KE really check credit card at check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does KE really check credit card at check in?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
I bought a KE itinerary from the Korean Air web site last week. Paid by Visa debit card.
There is nothing on the e-ticket that mentions credit card or debit card verification.
Is the verification restricted to credit cards, but not debit cards?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:26 pm

The notice about credit card debit card verification is on the last page of the e-ticket itinerary receipt.

Also, when you booked online, just before you got the the credit card payment page, a pop up should've appeared about the verification.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ReginaW
I just bought tickets on KE website. With this credit card verification process, would we be able to check-in online? Or do we need to check-in physically at the airport? I need to check-in online so I can select our seats. How do we work around this?
in my (limited) experience, only physically at the airport. Can’t you pre-select seats now ?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
If they require the credit card - it will block you from web check in. It has done this to me before, but I totally just use the web check in line anyway haha.

You can pre-select seats after purchase, but IMO they're not good unless you're Morning Calm. They often keep only the FAR back of the plane open for regular tickets.

I find that this requirement is disappearing to show cards - if you have Verified By Visa, or using my Korean bank apps with Face ID and certificate - they haven't asked me for any cards the last several times. The one time I did have to show a card, there was advance notice at purchase in red letters and also in the email.

BUT be prepared for it just in case!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Originally Posted by ReginaW
The notice about credit card debit card verification is on the last page of the e-ticket itinerary receipt.
Also, when you booked online, just before you got the the credit card payment page, a pop up should've appeared about the verification.
A pop up about the requirement for verification was not shown during purchase.
There was a Verified by Visa authentication step, but that is for credit card authorization by Visa.

My e-ticket does not mention verification by Korean Air. But in the Receipt section at the end, there are some entries in the table:
Form of Payment: Credit Card
Expiry Date: xx/xx
Approval No: 123456

So, it looks like I am approved.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by mikem004
A pop up about the requirement for verification was not shown during purchase.
There was a Verified by Visa authentication step, but that is for credit card authorization by Visa.
Yes and no. Part of Verified by Visa is to give merchants an extra layer of confidence that the transaction is legitimate. It's my understanding that merchants opt in to the program, as I have plenty of Visa transactions that don't go through that system. There seems to be some indication that airlines that normally might do credit card verification do not require it when the transaction goes through Verified by Visa.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:43 pm

I verified my credit card by email so all is good. May not be the best way due to confidential information.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
This. Email their skypass desk or any of the email channels. They will send you a form. OR You just say hello i want to verify my card for Flight 123 on March 13. Here is my ID and credit card front and back. That should work. Yes, I know many worry about privacy - but this kind of thing is VERY common in Asia. Which is "ironic" considering they want you to do the extra security step in the first place haha.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
I just bought my ticket to MNL (have to fly back for a funeral) on DL's website and I saw a pop-up saying that I need to present both ID and the credit card used for purchase when I check in.

I don't remember needing to present a credit card the last time I flew KE (which was in 2017, ex-MNL), but I'd be surprised if I have to this time around.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Titanium
I never have to do this and there is usually a pop-up from visa to verify. However, I booked a ticket for my parents using my credit card this time, they do require me to show my physical card at airport (even though I am traveling with them and they dont need me to show mine for my tickets) [I book all three tickets separately because of the price difference]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.