Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Does KE really check credit card at check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does KE really check credit card at check in?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 7:36 am
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
I was asked to present my cc at check in a few weeks ago at IAD. I booked on KE's website. The same verification form appears at the bottom of your e-ticket itinerary/receipt.

Best advice is to be prepared to show it at check-in if you book on koreanair.com.
Old May 15, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
What about KE Awards booked on a partner like CZ? Will CZ require it? Booking for someone who doesn't have a CC
Old May 15, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Mine was checked as well for a SFO-ICN flight booked through the call center.
Old May 16, 2014, 3:25 pm

I booked my tickets online via rewards miles and paid taxes/fuel surcharge using my credit card. During check-in at LAX last month, the ticketing agent asked to see the Credit Card I used to pay my fees and had me sign a piece of paper with my card information on it.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by damaxer91
What about KE Awards booked on a partner like CZ? Will CZ require it? Booking for someone who doesn't have a CC
Won't work. KE won't finalize the ticket until they check CC.

However, if you live where KE flies, you can go to the airport and verify CC in KE's counter before he/she takes the flight. Call KE and see if they offer an alternative way.
Old May 17, 2014, 6:46 am

I used Delta Airlines Miles to book KE Biz class for my sister. Agent did not ask for the credit card information.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by metoo
I used Delta Airlines Miles to book KE Biz class for my sister. Agent did not ask for the credit card information.
That's actually irrelevant to the thread. KE doesn't care if the ticket is not booked directly through KE. Tickets ticketed by other airlines or travel agencies are fine. Only those directly booked through KE with non-Korean credit card are headaches.
Old May 27, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA Platinum
Have a bit of an emergency with a friend who may not be able to use her KE flight as they've just called her back today after booking and confirming space for her dog to tell her that LHR doesn't accept dogs. We've got calls in to figure out why (UK gov and LHR animal reception so far says it's perfectly OK and the problem isn't with them), but if this doesn't get straightened out she's going to need to book a flight on someone else for a date that only about a week away.

As her KE ticket was paid using my CC, I'm wondering what happens if I don't verify the CC, if this is a back door to getting some/most/all of her ticket refunded. I can't otherwise find refund/cancellation rules (or even fare basis) in any of the material they've sent her.

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2014, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by 3liter6
As her KE ticket was paid using my CC, I'm wondering what happens if I don't verify the CC, if this is a back door to getting some/most/all of her ticket refunded. I can't otherwise find refund/cancellation rules (or even fare basis) in any of the material they've sent her.
Did you book directly through KE or via travel agency? If you book through KE, you'd better visit any KE airport nearby. If you don't, it is very likely that your friend's purchase will be fully refunded and re-purchased (same amount) with whatever credit card she has in the airport. You can ask KE what will happen if you don't verify. KE can make an exception for you, but I wouldn't rely on that.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Did you book directly through KE or via travel agency? If you book through KE, you'd better visit any KE airport nearby. If you don't, it is very likely that your friend's purchase will be fully refunded and re-purchased (same amount) with whatever credit card she has in the airport. You can ask KE what will happen if you don't verify. KE can make an exception for you, but I wouldn't rely on that.

Thanks for the quick response. Yes purchased through KE's site. Talked to KE in UK and they're more than happy to have the dog and apparently going to try and pass an approval along from there end, so hopefully this all works out. The plan was to take her to the airport along with my CC. This is Japan, so there was never any doubt in my mind that they'd be verifying the CC. Just curious if there was a way out hidden in there somewhere as they're definitely giving her a bit of the screw job if she ends up having to rebook last minute with another carrier.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA, KE, OZ, AA
Data Point

Purchased tickets directly from Korean air(by calling) using both miles and money and during the check in at IAH, I had to show my cc and sign the form.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:13 pm

booked ticketed w miles from my KE account via phone/fax. asked for CC at checkin at ICN.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Each time I have used Korean Air at HND using a ticket booked directly on their Japanese website, they have always verified the credit card used for payment. In fact, they did it twice during one trip; at the gate and at check-in.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Here is my experience booking with DL miles:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...rd-flight.html
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: low and not enough
What about using Korean miles to book an award ticket on a partner airline?

I used Skypass miles to book for my parents-in-law, but the flights are fully operated by Alitalia (and unfortunately paid for the taxes/fuel surcharge with my card). Do they have to go to the KE desk first, and/or will Alitalia check the card?

A call to Korean told me to drive to JFK (3 hours away) to show them my card, but that's not going to happen. Still waiting on a reply to my email to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.