Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

First on AF using 100K Skypass miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First on AF using 100K Skypass miles?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2012, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Question First on AF using 100K Skypass miles?

I noticed that there is a F award for 100,000 Skypass miles, the USA to North Africa on Air France, in First Class. Does this award still exist and how would one book it?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I think the problem you'll run up against is that AF only makes their F awards available as flex awards, and flex awards are only available to FB elites.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Yes, but it is shown as an award on the Korean Skypass website.

Departing from USA/Canada

(Round trip, Mile)

Departure Arrival Economy Business First
USA
Canada
USA/Canada 25,000 45,000
Mexico/Hawaii/Central America, Latin America 1 35,000 75,000
Latin America 2 50,000 90,000
Europe, North Africa 50,000 80,000 100,000
Northeast Asia, Middle East/Near East, Central & South Africa, Indian Ocean 80,000 120,000 160,000
Southeast Asia 90,000 135,000 180,000
Southwest Asia 100,000 150,000 210,000
South Pacific 110,000 165,000 240,000

Note 1) USA-Tahiti by Air France : Economy 60,000/Business 90,000 miles
Note 2) Redemption miles, operating routes and flight schedules can be changed without prior notice in accordance with partner airlines’ policies and circumstances. Please check more details at Korean Air Service Centers.
Note 3) The additional redemption miles for Korean Air’s prestige sleeper seat, first class kosmo sleeper seat, and first class sleeper seat (One way trip, mile) :
- Korea-Northeast Asia 2,500 / Korea-Southeast Asia 5,000 / Korea-Southwest Asia 7,500 / Korea-USA•Canada, Korea-South Pacific, Korea-Middle East•Near East 10,000 / Korea-Latin America2 15,000

Last edited by gkbiiii; Feb 19, 2012 at 4:50 pm
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:55 am

Just because KE has a chart entry for it doesn't mean that AF offers inventory to its partners. DL lists countries on their award chart to which you can't fly using SkyMiles because no partner carrier flies there, but maybe one will and then you could use miles. I'd read this as "If AF gives us space, you can have it for this many miles." The fact of the matter is that AF doesn't make F award space available to partners because they offer F awards only as flex awards and flex awards can only be booked by FB elites using FB miles.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Skyteam really is behind Star Alliance!!!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Skyteam really is behind Star Alliance!!!
Some might argue that SkyTeam is ahead of *A in retiring their first class cabins and replacing them with seats that they actually can sell. Given that AF, KE, CI, and CZ are really the only ST carriers maintaining F cabins, it's not terribly surprising that it's generally not possible to redeem for F outside your own program.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Some might argue that SkyTeam is ahead of *A in retiring their first class cabins and replacing them with seats that they actually can sell. Given that AF, KE, CI, and CZ are really the only ST carriers maintaining F cabins, it's not terribly surprising that it's generally not possible to redeem for F outside your own program.
How so, being that with Star, one can book any award on the chart and the partner airlines honor it??? The reason Delta (though on on Star Alliance this would not fly!!) can't redeem in First, is that they don't have one; thus since Korean does, why can't we get First Awards on Air France and others; they can with us right?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 1:47 am

My understanding is that you can only redeem for F with the operating carrier's miles in ST, so AF can't redeem for KE F either. Even if that's not the case, there's no rule in*A that saver seats have to be offered to partners. See SQ's behavior wrt J/F on the newer aircraft that's just now changing but still won't include suites on the A380. Also, again, part of my point is that *A has many more carriers operating F cabins, which likely leads to the policy difference.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: Skypass MMC, Delta Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium
Unlike other people here, I think you can redeem AF F award with Skypass miles.

No one knows better than KE customer service. Just call them up and ask if you can redeem your miles for AF F class.

If you can't, they will tell you that it's impossible.

If you can, they will tell you which dates are available around your intended dates of travel (i.e. award seats are not yet sold out).

So far, I haven't had a single trouble redeeming Skypass miles for Delta or AF (not F class though).

Only issue is that they charge you insane amount of fuel surcharge and taxes on top of mile redemption.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:47 am

Every single AF award class is shown in EF. The only F awards are labelled "First - Flex Award for Elites (F)". Only classic awards are made available to partners, so I don't see what bucket KE would pull from to redeem for AF F. I'm all for someone calling to check and proving me wrong, but everything I've read on FT and everything that is publicly visible suggests that this is a non-starter.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: Skypass MMC, Delta Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium
I talked to KE customer service and they say you cannot redeem for F class on AF routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.