FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Korean Air | SkyPass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korean-air-skypass-621/)
-   -   Seat assignments (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korean-air-skypass/1313491-seat-assignments.html)

craig44485 Feb 12, 2012 8:30 pm

Seat assignments

I booked 2 BE award tickets for my parents using my DL SM's. I went to the KE ticket office in Manila on Saturday and got the seat assignments. When they log into their SM accounts and check their itineraries it shows the KE flights, but it still shows their seats as not assigned. When they check their KE Skypass accounts it does not recognize the DL itinerary number and shows no flights pending.
Should I be concerned and give KE a call to reconfirm their seats and have them email a copy of the itinerary with the seat assignments on it?

mainbill Feb 12, 2012 9:38 pm

KE flights booked with skymiles don't show up on KE website.
DL website only shows the seat no assigned at the time of booking.
If you're concerned about the seats, call KE and confirm or change.

arcticbull Feb 12, 2012 10:29 pm

I did the same thing a few days ago -- I booked 3 segments in Business on KE via Delta miles. I'm scheduled to fly SFO-(DL)-LAX-(KE)-ICN-(KE)-SGN // SGN-(VN)-ICN-(KE)-SFO. When I hit Select Seats at the top right, it shows seat maps for all flights except the VN one, however the site errors out trying to select seats on the KE flights.

I called up KE, selected my seats, and then when I went back to my Delta PNR and looked at the seat map for the flight, lo and behold the text was still "Not Selected" however the seats I had picked were X'd off the seat map.

TL;DR If you're worried, call in and re-confirm. I just think they're not annotating the Delta PNR, but their own, and not syncing them up.

KQ321 Feb 13, 2012 3:53 am

Originally Posted by arcticbull (Post 18004077)
TL;DR If you're worried, call in and re-confirm. I just think they're not annotating the Delta PNR, but their own, and not syncing them up.

This seems plausible. I've had a similar glitch, in slightly different circumstances, with KE recently. (In my case, I changed the return date on a KE ticket/reservation after purchase).

KE use a 7 digit number as a PNR locator (rather than the 6 character alphanumeric format used by most airlines). It seems that when the KE PNR is first created, the system also generates an Amadeus PNR holding the same information. The Amadeus PNR locator is 6 character, and (if you know it) it can be looked up on www.checkmytrip.com (and in my case, www.klm.com - I haven't tried delta.com). However, it appears that subsequent changes (eg: seat reservations in the OP's case; return flight dates in my case) made in the KE PNR are not automatically updated in the Amadeus PNR, and therefore the Amadeus PNR looks out of date.

As others have said, the only solution seems to be call KE to check.

mtkeller Feb 13, 2012 3:54 am

Nothing to worry about. I flew KE on a DL award in December and had to select seats through KE via phone/email. They never showed on DL.dumb, but they were my seats when I checked in.

cruise2006 Feb 15, 2012 7:25 am

If you have reserved seating it will only show up on DL.Com as an assigned seat not available. For actual confirmation you need to call Korean Air, but once you know your assignment, DL.Com will show an "X" on your seat, but never show up as your's specifically. Interestly only reservations made on their website will show your seating assignment. Even if you made your reservations through KE ticketing office their website won't show your seating assignment on the "X" not available.

Apparently, they are back to only making seating assignments 30 days out, though I had a seating that was made some months ago and was good for our flight last week using Delta skymiles. You will need Korean's reservation number which Delta can usually give you. That's my best shot at my own experience. Once I had the seating assignment it was good on both segments... still have return flight to complete. By the way the seats included BE on the 380 from LAX to ICN... nice and very quiet flight we were in the forward most cabin.

By the way the window seats have some storage compartments (2 per row) that are great. Makes flying window seats rather nice.

jaesun Feb 27, 2012 12:10 pm

For advanced seat selection on KE booked tickets, the seat selection starts 30 days out. Is the seat selection 30 days out based on the first flight out? and are you able to select seats for all of the flight segments out and on return? or is it 30 days for each flight segment?

pintolvr Feb 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by jaesun (Post 18091058)
For advanced seat selection on KE booked tickets, the seat selection starts 30 days out. Is the seat selection 30 days out based on the first flight out? and are you able to select seats for all of the flight segments out and on return? or is it 30 days for each flight segment?

I called KE and got my seat assignments 30 days out, and my return is 31 days for returning and got those too at the same time.

landgraf13 Feb 27, 2012 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by jaesun (Post 18091058)

The seat selection is based on the first flight of the reservation. As long as all flights are on the same reservation then you can pick your seats at the same time. I had a trip recently where the outbound was 2 weeks prior to the return and had no problem at all getting all seats at the same time (30 days from the outbound departure).

jaesun Feb 27, 2012 1:26 pm

alright, good to know. Thanks

bostonbali Aug 29, 2012 8:52 am

I also tried to get seat assignments on a paid BC ticket, and was told that seat assignments cannot be given, since my 1st flight is more than 30 days out.

What a stupid rule, don't understand the logic behind it whatsoever!

mikesaidyes Aug 29, 2012 11:28 am

It doesn't make sense, but it's their rule. I'd rather take a weird seat assignment rule over .... service any day!

mtkeller Aug 29, 2012 2:33 pm

It's really no different from KL's 90-day policy or PMNW's 90-day policy. I kind of wonder if the business class seating upgrades on the A330 and 773 fleets have something to do with their motivation. Less disappointment for people if there's an equipment change.

jaesun Aug 29, 2012 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes (Post 19216791)
It doesn't make sense, but it's their rule. I'd rather take a weird seat assignment rule over .... service any day!

It could be Southwest Air where it's a free-for-all seating ...

And SQ doesn't allow you to choose your seating until 24 hours in advance (unless you buy directly from SQ's website)

mikesaidyes Aug 30, 2012 2:18 am

I've also gotten every seat I wanted at 30 days, so you should be fine.