Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Foreign pilots at KoreanAir and the Hyatt Incheon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold

Recently stayed at the Hyatt Incheon. Was surprised to see large numbers of foreign pilots there working for KoreanAir. Does KoreanAir have a policy of employing a large number of foreigners for their cockpit crews ? And are they mainly based outside of Korea since so many were staying at the Incheon Hyatt ?? Appreciate any background.

Was also surprised to see the Hyatt offering half-priced bottles of wine in the bar as a special promo for crews only ! Interesting to see the hotel - which I believe is owned by KoreanAir - encouraging drinking by airline crews....

Last edited by Braniff; Nov 23, 2009 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 24, 2009, 4:46 pm

Programs: Asia Miles, Skypass
Originally Posted by Braniff
Recently stayed at the Hyatt Incheon. Was surprised to see large numbers of foreign pilots there working for KoreanAir. Does KoreanAir have a policy of employing a large number of foreigners for their cockpit crews ? And are they mainly based outside of Korea since so many were staying at the Incheon Hyatt ?? Appreciate any background.

Was also surprised to see the Hyatt offering half-priced bottles of wine in the bar as a special promo for crews only ! Interesting to see the hotel - which I believe is owned by KoreanAir - encouraging drinking by airline crews....
on my flight from Manila to Incheon there was a foreign pilot as well.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
I don't know what KE's policy is. I do though spend a lot of time at ICN and have seen a lot of foreign cabin crew in both KE and OZ uniforms. I've been on at least two OZ flights where I noticed the captain was not Korean, once he was Brazilian, and the other time I'm not sure, but had a Spanish sounding surname. Based on my observations of FAs, there are lots of Filipina as well as some Eastern Europeans and a few Thais. I've yet to see a westerner (non Eastern European) working on the flight deck or as an FA on either airline.

With the ever present increasing salaries in Korea, it's only natural that they look to employ workers from other countries who will be happy working for a lower salary.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: M&M
I know at least one German pilot at KE.
AFAIK, the foreign pilots at both KE and OZ are usually better paid than their Korean colleagues. About the FAs, I don't know.

Originally Posted by A_Lee
With the ever present increasing salaries in Korea, it's only natural that they look to employ workers from other countries who will be happy working for a lower salary.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA(1k)/AA/NW/HHonors Diamond/Priority Club Gold/Golden Circle
Yes, you indeed did see expat KE pilots staying at that Hyatt. The Hyatt is the base hotel for expats--many of whom have come over from Singapore Airways. First Officer expat pay on the 747 is about $9,000 US per month--all on contract. All expat crews staying at the Hyatt receive roughly 50% discounts on meals.

Whomever said that expats at KE are paid more than their Korean counterparts is dead wrong. Korean national pilots (almost 100% of whom are ex-ROKAF) at OZ and KE are in the top fifth percentile (according to a recent Korea Times) for all salaried professionals in the country--in the same class as US-educated attorneys and physicians in Korea.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by hiflyer66
Whomever said that expats at KE are paid more than their Korean counterparts is dead wrong. Korean national pilots (almost 100% of whom are ex-ROKAF) at OZ and KE are in the top fifth percentile (according to a recent Korea Times) for all salaried professionals in the country--in the same class as US-educated attorneys and physicians in Korea.

Guess this is the reason why they hire non-Korean pilots, to save $.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:37 am

One of the many reasons why KE hires non-Korean pilots is foreign pilots are not unionized.
In fact, they can't join a trade union, because they don't have a contract with KE.
The foreign pilots at KE are from Direct Personal International Ltd., Rishworth Aviation Ltd., GAP Aviation Ltd., and Cambridge Communications Ltd..
In theory, they are not employees of KE, although they wear KE uniforms and work for KE.
The contracts(between KE and above-mentioned job agencies) usually run five years, and after five years KE decides whether KE wants to extend those contracts or not.
This is not about saving money.
Originally Posted by N227UA
Guess this is the reason why they hire non-Korean pilots, to save $.

Last edited by flytofly; Nov 28, 2009 at 5:32 am
Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:51 am

$ 9,000 is a lot of money by Korean standard.
I don't think a Korean FO earns $ 9,000 a month as an expat pilot would earn $ 9,000 a month as you already said
Those Korean pilots you are referring to are the ones who are old, a few years before their retirements. The seniority system in wages in Korea is evident here, too.

OZ, for example, pays 1,3-1,7 times more money to foreign pilots than their Korean counterparts , hence a foreign pilot doesn't receive a severance pay when he leaves OZ after the contract. I can well imagine that the situation at KE is similar to OZ.
Originally Posted by hiflyer66
Yes, you indeed did see expat KE pilots staying at that Hyatt. The Hyatt is the base hotel for expats--many of whom have come over from Singapore Airways. First Officer expat pay on the 747 is about $9,000 US per month--all on contract. All expat crews staying at the Hyatt receive roughly 50% discounts on meals.

Last edited by flytofly; Nov 28, 2009 at 5:17 am
Old Nov 28, 2009, 5:30 am

foreign pilots in Korea as of May 27, 2008

Korean Air

The number of Korean pilots: 1958 (captain: 808, co-pilot:1150)
The number of foreign pilots: 288 (captain: 269, co-pilot:19)

Asiana

Korean pilots: 945

Foreign pilots: 122(all captains)

Foreign pilots in Korea by nationality

Out of 410 foreign pilots,

51 from USA
40 from Canada
40 from Indonesia
33 from Brazil
29 from Australia
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
The following thread suggests KoreanAir started hiring foreign pilots in response to their many safety issues.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea...orean-air.html
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I noticed the same thing. So KE pays for their stays? I wonder what their flying rotations look like or if they have to commute to ICN to start and end trips. If they're drinking they must be staying at the hotel for more than one night at a time
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
The day you see a white person working inside a Korean Air cabin, Help me Jesus. Korea will have fallen apart. (In contrast, go to Japan. Foreigners work and manage retail stores.) Seriously, though, they won't know what to do with themselves. That flight attendant would be a huge celebrity.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I noticed the same thing. So KE pays for their stays? I wonder what their flying rotations look like or if they have to commute to ICN to start and end trips. If they're drinking they must be staying at the hotel for more than one night at a time

Last I knew Korean employed upwards of 400 foreign pilots. They are employed on most fleets except the A380 and B787 (entering service soon?). They will get them on those fleets in due course though.

The Hyatt is owned by the same group that owns the airline so the pilots are given accommodation there when in Seoul. They can often be there for a few days in a row and some have part time office jobs when not flying so are there more regularly.

The contract stipulates 9 days off per month in "base". A "base" is anywhere on the Korean airlines network. A pilot can also choose to add two vacation days per month to those 9 to make for 11 days off per month in a row. The travel days to get to and from base are not counted against the 11 days off. This makes it one of the best commuting jobs in the industry. Many American, Canadian, Australian, and European pilots like it for this purpose.

Boeing and Airbus also run dedicated training centers in Seoul to train the Korean pilots for both Korean and Asiana. Those are typically staffed by retired airline pilots from around the world who are on a similar commuting contract to the pilots.

Korean has a long way to go to reach the safety level of European and North American carriers as witnessed by the recent Asiana B777 crash in SFO. Korean themselves have done okay lately and that is mainly due to their employment of foreign pilots.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My most recent KE flight was a TPAC A380 and I noticed that the pilot making the announcements at the beginning of the flight sounded like a native American speaker. I didn't catch his name, nor did I make a point of looking at the flight deck crew, so I don't know whether he might have been a South Korean who spent some of his childhood in the USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.