Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

Seoul Food - Korea

Seoul Food - Korea

Old Nov 25, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by stupidhead
I need to go live in Itaewon.
Itaewon has a few acceptable Japanese Izakaya, the delightful Austrian/German deli and restaurant by Mr.Meilinger from Tyrolia and the passable "French" La Cigale Montmartre with their signature mussel dishes.

That's about it from a culinary perspective.

Last edited by mosburger; Nov 26, 2010 at 1:13 am
Old Nov 26, 2010, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by mosburger
Itaewon has a few acceptable Japanese Izakaya, the delightful Austrian/German deli and restaurant by Mr.Meilinger from Tyrolia and the passable "French" La Cigale Montmartre with their signature mussel dishes.

Exactly. Theres a shocking lack of culinary variety here. God I miss New York.

There's restaurants of like a half a dozen cuisines just on University Place between 14th and Waverly alone. And that's not counting all the other places in Manhattan.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:31 am

I'm afraid a variety is too much to ask for in a country that can't even get "basic" cuisines like Chinese and Italian right.

Case in point: those weird pie-like creatures w/ sweet potato puree that Koreans call "pizza". Or the fact that Costco is considered a respectable dining establishment. Don't even get me started on Chinese food in Korea, lol.

Korea will never become a food destination like its neighbors Japan, China, etc until Koreans realize most of the non-Korean food they've eaten so far has been crap.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:37 am

Oh god. Don't even get me started on pizza. I don't eat pizza from anywhere besides the Costco food court and Papa John's (probably the most "authentic" pizza you can get outside maybe a US army base). And even Papa John's borders on fake crap. And most of the "Chinese" food in Korea is made from recipes developed in Korea.

And 99% of the non-Korean food in Korea has all been Korean-ized. And the fact that they try to make everything with sweet potatoes is just, wrong, on so many levels. And what's up with their insistence on putting bulgogi on absolutely EVERYTHING? I cringe when I see something with bulgogi sauce or such bs. If I wanted bulgogi I would have ordered it. Good fried chicken though.

And most people consider that crap "good"----that is, until they taste REAL cuisine overseas.

And don't even get me started on the COMPLETE lack of availability of ingredients at the grocery store. I can't even get CHICKEN BROTH at the store, .... And I couldn't even find fresh basil. Yet they have a dozen different varieties of hot pepper powder and paste, each.

I've been wanting some variety so badly I miss the $5 lamb over rice from a street cart from NYC.

Which brings me back to my original point: please please PLEASE get me the .... back to New York. Or at least to HK/Singapore.

Last edited by stupidhead; Nov 28, 2010 at 3:08 am
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by ZZOOzzoo
]I'm afraid a variety is too much to ask for in a country that can't even get "basic" cuisines like Chinese and Italian right.
Try for example the "La Cucina" opposite from the Grand Hyatt or the "Il Ponte" at the Millenium Hilton for Italian food. Ok, they are not run by Italian families but the quality and authencity of the dishes is at a high level.

As for Chinese, the oldest immigrants to Korea are from Fujian province and their children/grandchildren often still run Chinese seafood restaurants in the provincial cities. Fairly tasty (and I've lived in China several years) but high prices, so do check the total before ordering.

In Seoul, the "Chinese" joints at prime locations like Myeng-Dong are pretty bad but there are smallish Chinatowns here and there. The proprietors normally come from either Shandong or the Northeastern provinces and are ethnic Koreans.

Case in point: those weird pie-like creatures w/ sweet potato puree that Koreans call "pizza". Or the fact that Costco is considered a respectable dining establishment. Don't even get me started on Chinese food in Korea, lol.
I don't actually know any good dedicated Pizzeria in Seoul but there are several good ones in the provinces where rents are cheaper and leave more room for experiments.

For Pizza, the Gran Piatto with several locations in Gwangju and elsewhere in Southern Jeolla is the best I've had in Korea apart from the hotel prime eateries listed above. It was launched by two Korean brothers who did the apprenticeship tour in Italy and are for example sourcing their cheese from small producers on Jeju Island.

Korea will never become a food destination like its neighbors Japan, China, etc until Koreans realize most of the non-Korean food they've eaten so far has been crap.
Most middle aged and older Koreans simply prefer their own dishes. When overseas, steak and pasta are about the only things they are able to eat and even then preferably with kimchi and Korean chili paste on the side.

So the market dictates what the non-Korean restaurants can offer. They would be bankrupt rather soon if dishing out "real" foreign food, safer to stay with koreanized versions.

But this is changing with the younger generations and you can find quite authentic Vietnamese etc. places especially in the more expensive areas of Gangnam. More relaxed Japanese Izakaya are also very popular with the local trust fund kids.

And Korean food itself really offers an amazing variety when you get deeper into it.

Last edited by mosburger; Nov 28, 2010 at 6:08 am
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:42 am

Koreans are some of the most xenophobic people ever when it comes to food. A lot of people I talk to either have prejudices or just aren't interested in the world outside their 5 mile radius. Of course this frustrates the hell out of me. (don't bite me, I get to generalize about Koreans because I'm Korean myself-where I differ is my curiosity about the rest of the world)

The next time I see kimchi at an establishment serving foreign cuisines I think I might puke.

And there's very little variety in what Korean food establishments serve either. I wander through the local college town here wondering how the .... any of those eateries turn a profit with so little differentiation. It should be the 8th wonder of the world if they all turn a profit.

Seoul maybe is slightly better, since there's a lot more expats and stuff but Busan is really pathetic. It likes to fashion itself as a world class city but it's far from it (then again, a majority of Korean organizations think they're better than they actually are).

Last edited by stupidhead; Nov 28, 2010 at 5:49 am
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:11 am

Seoul maybe is slightly better, since there's a lot more expats and stuff but Busan is really pathetic. It likes to fashion itself as a world class city but it's far from it (then again, a majority of Korean organizations think they're better than they actually are).
On a more positive note, Busan is quite famous for it's steamed crab and other seafood. Any recs you'd like to share or maybe some good "everyday' restaurants, Korean or other?

Btw, what kind of foreign foods do you miss most in Busan/Korea?
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:23 am

mosburger, thanks for the suggestions. I know there's a growing number of decent restaurants in Seoul but as of yet they are sadly exceptions to the rule.

BTW there's a place in Samcheongdong called 'a blacksmith's firebrick pizzera' that serves pretty good Neopolitan pizza. But the owner is cocky as hell and it's hard to get a table there, which is an encouraging sign that there is indeed a demand for good pizza among young Koreans.

Oh, and I think I'd actually be happier in Busan than in Seoul. At least in Busan there is an abundant supply of seafood. I'm willing to go on a diet that consists exclusively of gwang-eo sashimi and crab.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:24 am

On a more positive note, Busan is quite famous for it's steamed crab and other seafood. Any recs you'd like to share or maybe some good "everyday' restaurants, Korean or other?

Btw, what kind of foreign foods do you miss most in Busan/Korea?
I have yet to find any but I've been here less than 6 months and I spend most of my time working or studying for the LSAT so I don't explore much even the once a month I do go out. And plus I've never liked seafood that much (there are only a few kinds I'll eat-salmon/tuna sushi, lobster, scallops and fried calamari) so I'm not a good person to ask about seafood options. I'll post when I find some. There's a blog written by a food writer that has some good options. It's in Korean so you might want to use google translate or sth: http://blog.naver.com/f4100

What kind of foreign foods do I miss? EVERYTHING. I just liked having the option to browse the menus of restaurants for 3 hours when I was in New York (menupages.com FTW). If you had to twist my arm, I'd have to say middle eastern food. Nothing beats a $2.50 falafel at 2 in the morning when you're STARVING. That, and for some reason, Chipotle.

Last edited by stupidhead; Nov 28, 2010 at 6:37 am
Old Nov 28, 2010, 7:38 am

I'll post when I find some. There's a blog written by a food writer that has some good options. It's in Korean so you might want to use google translate or sth: http://blog.naver.com/f4100
Cheers, all my Busan visits apart from the first one in 1999 have been busy corporate affairs so not much chance left for own initiative. Very, very beautiful city though and some good memories from there.

What kind of foreign foods do I miss? EVERYTHING. I just liked having the option to browse the menus of restaurants for 3 hours when I was in New York (menupages.com FTW). If you had to twist my arm, I'd have to say middle eastern food. Nothing beats a $2.50 falafel at 2 in the morning when you're STARVING. That, and for some reason, Chipotle.
I have some Korean friends who spent their formative years in NYC and other overseas locations respectively. I'll ask them about their favourite foreign food joints and post any coherent answer...

One Turkish lady I spoke to was rather negative about the Middle Eastern eateries in Itaewon so please do not expect too much if visiting.

But you can have decent and very cheap kebab type dishes for example in Xinzhuang in Shanghai where many Muslims from Western China live. Chinese Muslim food from Xi'an to Xinjiang is among the best on the planet, IMHO and well worth exploring...
Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:09 pm

Are the non-mussel dishes at the french place any good?
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:10 am

Are the non-mussel dishes at the french place any good?
One of the owners is French and to my undestanding also part of the kitchen brigade. The absolute majority of the Korean customers order mussel pots and beer/wine but I do think their other bistro dishes are quite passable. Cheese plate is well executed.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Cheese isn't very big in Korea.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:42 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
I love duck and absolutely must have this.

I have one day in Seoul and would like to try Korean roasted duck for lunch. I can't seem to find much about this place online. I did find info about 산너머 남촌, Duck Restaurant near Sanbon Station at http://www.seoulrestaurantreviews.co...n-station.html.

It's just me and I'm staying at the Grand Hilton Seoul, but they have a shuttle into the central Seoul area. Can someone recommend a place for duck for lunch for one person?
Originally Posted by skchin
Let us know if you have it.
Nope, unfortunately never got around to it. I spent some time walking around Gyeongbokgung Palace, then walked down to Namdaemun Market and over to Myeongdong, at which point I ran out of gas. However I found myself right in front of Shinsegae department store in Myeongdong, so I went down to the food court and had a very enjoyable lunch.

Maybe next time.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:56 am

There is one famous Korean BBQ restaurant I know as a local. It's called "Byeokje Galbi" in Bangi station(subway). They serve fresh meat from Korea and you can roast it as much as you want in front of you by yourself. kinda expensive compared to other Korean BBQ restaurants but I think it worhts it.

Last edited by warlando; Dec 2, 2010 at 2:03 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.