Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seoul - 3* hotels, shopping, eats

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2002, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Seoul - 3* hotels, shopping, eats

I plan to travel to Seoul in July. My research shows there are 3* hotels for under $100. I wonder if their star ratings is the same as in the U.S. Where are the best bargains for apparel and electronic goods, and also moderately priced meals? Is it necessary to bring an English-Korean dictionary? Should I buy KRW in the U.S. or buy them there?

Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 12:50 am

cbFL,

I can help you on some of your questions...As for apparel, depending on quality and type of apparel you are looking for, there are some key markets to visit. First is TongDaeMun Market which is building after building and market stalls of all types of apparel at good prices. (Mostly domestic products). Another place is Itaewon where you can find stuff made for export so a lot of the foreign brands.

Electronics - Seoul is not a good place to buy because stuff if usually behind other Asian cities and more expensive. But if you want to take a look visit, Yongsan Electronics Market.

Moderately-priced food - You are in luck if you like Korean food because almost anywhere you go you can find cheap Korean food (noodles, rices, soups) for $5-$10.

Dictionary - Depends on how long you will be in Seoul. It is not an easy language to pronounce unless you have lots of time to study.

KRW - There are ATMS everywhere but be forewarned - they are usually only open during bank hours!

Hope some of this helps!

Old Apr 29, 2002, 5:37 pm

Regarding currency exchange. Always wait until you get there to exchange your monies.
There are plenty...and I mean plenty of Banks in Seoul to exchange with. Don't do it in the airports and don't do it in the Hotels.

I'm not sure what country gives the best rates upon returning because I'm usually out of money by the time I get back to the States!
Old Apr 30, 2002, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Dynasty, thanks for the valuable info, I will stick with apparel and won't bother with their electronics, good advice there, also on food.

How about hotels? Can I get a decent 3* for well under $100, maybe in the 50's to 60's range?

Fastek, note taken. You're right, with soo many inexpensive and good buys there that I hear about, I'm sure I'll also come home with my pockets empty! Woe is me! :-)
Old May 17, 2002, 9:52 am

Programs: LH, DL/NW, US, HHon, SPG
cbFL,

You've gotten accurate advice on shopping and currency exchange already, so I'd just like to add something about hotels.

By July World Cup fever will have long cooled down, and anyway that's normally a slow hotel month in Seoul, so there should be some bargains -- meaning $60 or so, with a little bit of luck, is possible.

Good Luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.